gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:24:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 51972 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2016, 02:55:51 AM »

Stan says in Timothy White's book that he filed after two former Landy employees came to him with info that Landy was added to Brian's will.  Something like that.

Stan's suit was filed May 7, 1990.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-05-08/local/me-105_1_brian-wilson

The suit that was settled by the family was also filed on May 7, 1990.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-12-06/local/me-478_1_beach-boy-wilson

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2016, 05:11:17 AM »

Stan says in Timothy White's book that he filed after two former Landy employees came to him with info that Landy was added to Brian's will.  Something like that.

Stan's suit was filed May 7, 1990.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-05-08/local/me-105_1_brian-wilson

The suit that was settled by the family was also filed on May 7, 1990.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-12-06/local/me-478_1_beach-boy-wilson
Cam - thanks for this.  Stan did have a role in this debacle.  And, at the time, according to the article, Audree, was quoted in full support of this action.  

"Wilson's mother, Audree Wilson, said she supported the actions by Love and called Landy, 'the worst news that ever happened' to her son. I think he's pretty well brainwashed Brian,' Audree said in a telephone interview. He manipulates him, that's all I know.  He just hasn't been a free guy.'

Although she regularly receives phone calls from her son, she has given up trying to contact Brian on her own, she said. 'If he calls you, that's great,' she said. 'But...you can't get through to him.  If you call his home, you get the answering machine. To get through to him you have to go through the office--and you're put on hold.  It's just a crock.  I won't be so insulted.  That's my son.'"

Wendy and Carnie were touring in Europe at the time, as well as The Beach Boys also on tour. That helps explain why Stan went into court.  

It shows the utter cruelty of Landy as against Brian's own mother who had not long before already lost Dennis.  

The article also described how Landy had already lost his license for "misconduct" of a sort with a patient.

Thanks again for those links.  Wink  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:13:41 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2016, 07:26:40 AM »

I'm going to try to dig in to some other sources on the book shelf regarding Stan's part in the Landy situation. I don't think a ton has ever been written about it, but as I said before, the band, which included two family members, were strangely silent as Stan launched his PR campaign. It always struck me as something that needed to be done, with likely some amount of true caring for Brian, but also with at least the appearance of a very opportunistic slant.

Was the band, especially the family members within the band (e.g. Carl and Mike) behind Stan? Were they trying to let someone outside of the band "get their hands dirty" to not make the entire debacle an even bigger PR nightmare for the band and the "brand"?

In any event, Mike raising Stan's name while downplaying Melinda's role is still ridiculous. It appears that Stan may have been another "getting the ball rolling" player in the saga, as too was Melinda.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »

I'm going to try to dig in to some other sources on the book shelf regarding Stan's part in the Landy situation. I don't think a ton has ever been written about it, but as I said before, the band, which included two family members, were strangely silent as Stan launched his PR campaign. It always struck me as something that needed to be done, with likely some amount of true caring for Brian, but also with at least the appearance of a very opportunistic slant.

Was the band, especially the family members within the band (e.g. Carl and Mike) behind Stan? Were they trying to let someone outside of the band "get their hands dirty" to not make the entire debacle an even bigger PR nightmare for the band and the "brand"?

In any event, Mike raising Stan's name while downplaying Melinda's role is still ridiculous. It appears that Stan may have been another "getting the ball rolling" player in the saga, as too was Melinda.
Hey Jude - next to my late mother, I was closest to my aunts.  Audree was Stan's aunt.  If you think of any family structure, an aunt, enjoys a very high status.  If my aunts had requested my help on anything,  especially helping one of her children, and whether that meant risking anyone's wrath, it would be a done deal. No questions asked.  She was a family elder and her requests would be dutifully honored.  

Stan stood in the shoes of Audree, (and perhaps Carl) who, it is alluded to in the film got the contact information surreptitiously because Brian used Melinda's phone.  Melinda's phone bill was well out of Landy's reach, and beyond his micromanaging control.

In those days, (now online) you got a copy of every single incoming and outgoing cell phone call made on that particular phone line and it was the equivalent of what the FBI wants with the apple company to crack the phone codes.  At any rate, in the late 1980's that was the way to get a phone number (phones, at least the one I had only stored about 10 numbers.)

So, if you go back (as you alluded to) the contentious locked thread from June of 2015, Autotune's quote (# 199) a quote from Brian, from People magazine..."The fact that my mother is involved against me in this conservatorship suit really scrambles my brain...I hate to say this, but I don't think she loves me." And does he love  her? "Somewhat," he (Brian) replies."

Knowing how mothers are - they don't have to be the "friends" or "pals" of their children, because she is the "mother" - period, and end of story.  Audree held her nose and did "what she had to do" because she knew her kid was not free to live as he should have been.  And she likely endured slanderous comments from that predator.  

And, at that time, Melinda's status was as a friend/girlfriend, and relatively powerless except as a whistleblower who was trying to work under-the-radar. It does not detract from her role.  But it better explains the actions that the family took and the time-line in the court case.

And, yes it took "a village" to rescue Brian.  

Stan, as I look at when he acted (when Carl and Wendy/Carnie) were on tour, stepped-into-their-shoes, as a surrogate for Carl, and Audree was courageous but just acting like any other lioness mother, as to her son.  

If Brian was mad, Audree didn't care, because her kid was in danger, and she was going to help fix Landy's wagon.  Who else was around to go into court in Audree's behalf?  (And likely, at the behest of Melinda having the phone number on her phone and more importantly on her cell phone bill as evidence of the all-important electronic communication. )

The LA Times article and and People magazine quote indicate the contentiousness of the court case.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:05:18 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2016, 08:24:14 AM »

I think the mere fact the BBs kept touring instead of helping free BW from Landy is the problem in a nutshell. They didn't seem to care enough to help BW in the first place (hence Landy in the first place).

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »

I think the mere fact the BBs kept touring instead of helping free BW from Landy is the problem in a nutshell. They didn't seem to care enough to help BW in the first place (hence Landy in the first place).

Part of their touring money went for his treatment.  

Landy was keeping Brian from writing with the band and only working for Brains and Genius.  

And, Brian was on the road with The Beach Boys, from time to time.  

Much of that info is contained in those articles including the dissolution of Brains and Genius.

So was Audree wrong going after Landy in behalf of Brian, risking his wrath, and having her nephew help because Carl was on the road?  

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-13/entertainment/ca-1172_1_brian-wilson

Landy's accounting...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:37:14 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »

I think Carl's action or inaction is not a simple, clear cut issue.

Carl may not have needed any "excuse" for not taking a more active role; he may have been taking the appropriate role to help Brian.

But either way, Carl being "on the road" sounds like a really lame excuse. Any member of the band could have missed a few gigs, or the band could have rescheduled a few gigs if time off was needed to attend to whatever legal matters. They had phones and teams of lawyers and managers and agents that could have facilitated whatever needed to be done.

Carl, Al, and Mike all individually missed short strings of shows in 1990 for (presumably) other unrelated reasons. In other words, the show always went on even with a BB missing. So I don't think it was touring that dictated Carl not be more hands-on. As I said, maybe he was doing more behind the scenes and strategically decided to support doing it the way it was done. That's all fine.

I don't think anyone needs a lame "they were busy on tour" excuse, whether an excuse is needed or not.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:45 AM »

Carl may not have needed any "excuse" for not taking a more active role; he may have been taking the appropriate role to help Brian.

But either way, Carl being "on the road" sounds like a really lame excuse. Any member of the band could have missed a few gigs, or the band could have rescheduled a few gigs if time off was needed to attend to whatever legal matters. They had phones and teams of lawyers and managers and agents that could have facilitated whatever needed to be done.

Carl, Al, and Mike all individually missed short strings of shows in 1990 for (presumably) other unrelated reasons. In other words, the show always went on even with a BB missing. So I don't think it was touring that dictated Carl not be more hands-on. As I said, maybe he was doing more behind the scenes and strategically decided to support doing it the way it was done. That's all fine.

I don't think anyone needs a lame "they were busy on tour" excuse, whether an excuse is needed or not.
Wow!  Carl was at fault?

OMG.

I think Carl was the MD at the time, IIRC.  

Of course they had phones and lawyers.  Audree just took the bull-by-the-horns, mama-style.  

Mothers don't wait for anything or anyone, if they have any indication that their kid is in danger.  

Neither Audree nor Wendy/Carnie were allegedly able to spend more than five hours with Brian in five years.  Audree, as the mother, did not need to justify to anyone, either her motivation or her actions.

Stan had been a manager for the band, but  whether he ultimately prevailed on the conservatorship or not, is irrelevant, because it ultimately opened the door for further scrutiny of Landy. The goal was to remove Landy from Brian and that happened.    

The court fashioned it's own plan to allow an independent conservator to become appointed. And Brian agreed to the appointment which had "specific and limited powers over the artist's affairs" (Santa Monica Superior Court) as reported on December 6, 1991 in the LA Times.      
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:03:19 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »

Hasn't Melinda said she left or was shut out or something after Landy lost his license (1989) but Landy was still with Brian? Apparently still was until the family suit Stan filed in May 1990 was settled at the end of 1991.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »

And, at that time, Melinda's status was as a friend/girlfriend, and relatively powerless except as a whistleblower who was trying to work under-the-radar. It does not detract from her role.  

FDP, what, in your estimation, WOULD be an example of someone detracting from Melinda's role?

If someone, either a person on this board or a person in an interview, actually WANTED Melinda's role to be completely disregarded, what would be a statement that they could conceivably make that would draw your ire, and make you think "that's just not right"?

You're clearly capable of outrage, such as your outrage at HeyJude due to your misreading his statement and thinking that he was blaming Carl. That set off the alarm bells in your head. Could someone, anyone, say something that would detract from Melinda's role which could lead to you expressing similar outrage?

Or are inaccuracies about Carl (spoken by people on this board) the only thing that sets you off?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:09:12 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »

Wow!  Carl was at fault?

OMG.

I think Carl was the MD at the time, IIRC.

"OMG" do you actually read posts before you respond to them?

I went to EXTREME lengths to make it VERY clear that I was not even prepared to judge Carl's action or inaction.

What I said is that "he was too busy on tour" is a LAME excuse, whether it's a hypothetical excuse or a real one.

It's a LAME excuse whether you're making it or Carl made it. Not coincidentally, there's no evidence Carl did or would ever make such a lame excuse.

Carl being the musical director is also a lame excuse; he had missed shows in 1990.

And again, there may be no need for anyone to make any excuses for Carl. Which is why making super-lame excuses for some hypothetical scenario where someone might criticize or just questions Carl's involvement is just silly and reeks of being hyper defensive.

Shall we make excuses for everybody just in case someone questions their involvement? Al was too busy tending to horses. Bruce was busy at Old Navy buying shorts. Van Dyke Parks was trimming his moustache.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:03:29 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »

Go back and watch the Dateline piece done on Brian and Landy. Melinda was the "Landy employee" interviewed anonymously. Different people were probably doing things independently of each other, but to deny Melinda her role is just incredibly pissy.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »

Hasn't Melinda said she left or was shut out or something after Landy lost his license (1989) but Landy was still with Brian? Apparently still was until the family suit Stan filed in May 1990 was settled at the end of 1991.
Cam - I think I read that but don't know whether it goes along time-wise with Landy losing his license.  

In 1989 he admitted to a single charge of unlawfully prescribing drugs and surrendered his license to practice psychology in CA for 2 years. That was from Landy's obituary.  Some other article had another charge.  

But at that time, most of the portable phones were the kind you could install in a car, or carry around in a big bag, and were pretty expensive, around $800 to 1,000.  And you'd get a bill with incoming and outgoing calls.

So, Melinda's phone looks like the lifeline for the pertinent info to get the ball rolling.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »

You're clearly capable of outrage, such as your outrage at HeyJude due to your misreading his statement and thinking that he was blaming Carl. That set off the alarm bells in your head. Could someone, anyone, say something that would detract from Melinda's role which could lead to you expressing similar outrage?

And there is the rub. There's just flabbergasted outrage at things people say on this board, but nothing about Mike's own words.

If Mike's interview had never happened and someone ELSE on this board said the EXACT words Mike did about Melinda, there would be no excuses and parsing of words going on. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »

Well there you have it. THAT'S what Mike meant. Melinda doesn't get the credit, Melinda's PHONE does.

I'm typing up an email right now to Bill Pohlad asking why this phone was not appropriately depicted in the movie. Credit where credit's due folks.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »

Wow!  Carl was at fault?

OMG.

"OMG" do you actually read posts before you respond to them?

I went to EXTREME lengths to make it VERY clear that I was not even prepared to judge Carl's action or inaction.

What I said is that "he was too busy on tour" is a LAME excuse, whether it's a hypothetical excuse or a real one.

It's a LAME excuse whether you're making it or Carl made it. Not coincidentally, there's no evidence Carl did or would ever make such a lame excuse.
Hey Jude - I did not read it that way. It looked as though it has a "blaming tone" - when I read it.  Why would his name be placed in contention for blame?  There was an element of speculation. You mentioned his name 5 times. "He may have been taking an appropriate role to help Brian."  The word "may" suggests the possibility that he was not.  

Because Brian was not married at that time, to look for his next of kin would have put his mother and children at the center of those who had the strongest capability to step up.  It was Audree's absolute right.

And if the band was on tour, their commitments were serious ones. It is not like calling for a substitute teacher.  Carl's voice was irreplaceable. As it remains.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »

Well there you have it. THAT'S what Mike meant. Melinda doesn't get the credit, Melinda's PHONE does.

I'm typing up an email right now to Bill Pohlad asking why this phone was not appropriately depicted in the movie. Credit where credit's due folks.
Excuse me. The interviews I have seen, IIRC related that Melinda had the family phone numbers because Brian used her phone to speak to his family without Landy's prying eyes.  Landy had cut his family off as was in the court allegations reported in the LATimes.

That phone record gave her access to Brian's family. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »

Hey Jude - I did not read it that way. It looked as though it has a "blaming tone" - when I read it.  Why would his name be placed in contention for blame?  There was an element of speculation. You mentioned his name 5 times. "He may have been taking an appropriate role to help Brian."  The word "may" suggests the possibility that he was not.  

Because Brian was not married at that time, to look for his next of kin would have put his mother and children at the center of those who had the strongest capability to step up.  It was Audree's absolute right.

And if the band was on tour, their commitments were serious ones. It is not like calling for a substitute teacher.  Carl's voice was irreplaceable. As it remains.

Why are you so willing to parse the posts of people here, and read a "blaming tone" into posts, but you're unwilling to even attempt to "read" anything into Mike Love's interviews?

What happened to "it's not my place to say what he's thinking?" Why does that apply to Mike, but not me or other posters?

As for Carl and touring. LAME. Carl missed gigs, and they indeed DID hire a substitute guitarist in 1990 (he's in some videos with big poofy late 80s/early 90s hair, I don't know what his name was), and had others fill in Carl's vocals. Nobody would have batted an eyelash if Carl said "I need to tend to this family matter. I need to take a couple weeks off and I'll miss a few gigs." Why do I know that? Because Carl, Mike, and Al *all* did that in the same time period. Mike toured Japan with his band in the summer of 1990 and the BBs toured without him. Al randomly missed some gigs. So did Carl.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »

Excuse me. The interviews I have seen, IIRC related that Melinda had the family phone numbers because Brian used her phone to speak to his family without Landy's prying eyes.  Landy had cut his family off as was in the court allegations reported in the LATimes.

Nobody can be this dense. Nobody.

FDP: HeyJude was being sarcastic. It comes from being exasperated from your continual refusal to respond to what he, I, or 99% of people on this board actually ask you.

The phone was important, it played a role, as did THE WOMAN WHO OWNED THE PHONE. The inanimate object known as a cellphone needed a mammal to operate it, and that mammal was named Melinda. She was part of the process of extracting Landy, using a phone as a tool in her mission against the tool named Landy, and Love won't credit her for it, EVEN IN PART. Speaking of tools...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:26:26 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »

there's irony there that I'm a little surprised Pohlad didn't work into the L&M script somehow - Brian is prevented from contacting his family with the usual means by Landy, so he covertly uses Melinda's cell instead to call Mom & Carl w/o Landy's knowledge, which saved phone numbers later gives Melinda the direct means she needs to make family contact and take down Landy
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

Excuse me. The interviews I have seen, IIRC related that Melinda had the family phone numbers because Brian used her phone to speak to his family without Landy's prying eyes.  Landy had cut his family off as was in the court allegations reported in the LATimes.

FDP: HeyJude was being sarcastic. It comes from being exasperated from your continual refusal to respond to what he, I, or 99% of people on this board actually ask you.

The phone was important, it played a role, as did THE WOMAN WHO OWNED THE PHONE. The inanimate object known as a cellphone needed a mammal to operate it, and that mammal was named Melinda. She was part of the process of extracting Landy, using a phone as a tool in her mission against the tool named Landy, and Love won't credit her for it, EVEN IN PART. Speaking of tools...
CD - filtering uncalled-for sarcasm is not anyone's job on this board.

In the late 80's most of those phones were either installed into cars or in the alternative carried in a large bag.

Melinda had the exclusive custody and control in the legal sense of that phone to possess that critical information and her address where the post office would deliver the bill that had those phone numbers.  That is not unimportant and common knowledge or should be that the person who owns that phone, and the phone line has exclusive control over it and a place where Landy could not go.  

That is the point.  The electronic documentation to get help for Brian so those who had standing could get into court as well as the will.  If I had to guess the family had private unpublished phone numbers and not available in the public phone directory.

Melinda contacted the family on a line over which Landy had no control.  Brian could not.  

It was a very important inanimate object.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »

CD - filtering uncalled-for sarcasm is not anyone's job on this board.

In the late 80's most of those phones were either installed into cars or in the alternative carried in a large bag.

Melinda had the exclusive custody and control in the legal sense of that phone to possess that critical information and her address where the post office would deliver the bill that had those phone numbers.  That is not unimportant and common knowledge or should be that the person who owns that phone, and the phone line has exclusive control over it and a place where Landy could not go.  

That is the point.  The electronic documentation to get help for Brian so those who had standing could get into court as well as the will.  If I had to guess the family had private unpublished phone numbers and not available in the public phone directory.

Melinda contacted the family on a line over which Landy had no control.  Brian could not.  

It was a very important inanimate object.

Is this an attempt to wear down posters who you hope will just stop responding to your distractions? It won't work. I'll be here all night to tear apart all of your ridiculous trolling non-answers and distractions.

How many times do I or anyone else on this board have to remind you:

NOBODY DENIES THE PHONE, STAN, OR A HOST OF OTHER PEOPLE AND INANIMATE OBJECTS WERE PART OF THE LANDY EXTRACTION.

If you want to talk about them, that's fine. Start another thread.

Don't sidestep that Melinda was not included in Mike's "village" that you like to call it.

If she was included, by Mike, if she was given ANY credit, by Mike, this conversation would not be where it is now. What is so hard about saying, "yeah, it appears that Melinda may not have been credited by Mike in his statement, and that is unfortunate". Is that putting words in your mouth? Are those words which you do not feel? That Mike has to be asked to clarify what he meant before you'd say something like that?

If a member on this board posts: "Saying Mike had a role in the writing of the song California Girls is inaccurate. That was Brian Wilson who wrote it"... would you say it needs further clarification that the person who posted that is full of sh*t?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:52:37 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »

there's irony there that I'm a little surprised Pohlad didn't work into the L&M script somehow - Brian is prevented from contacting his family with the usual means by Landy, so he covertly uses Melinda's cell instead to call Mom & Carl w/o Landy's knowledge, which saved phone numbers later gives Melinda the direct means she needs to make family contact and take down Landy
Pohlad had enough on his plate - what he accomplished with the Pet Sounds scenes was nothing short of amazing.

What people may not realize (especially young people who grew up with cell phones when they were in grade school) is that they were not something that everyone had. That goes back about 30 years.

And, I bought one as a gift in 1987 and it was a lot of money.  Then you had to get it installed in a car.  So, people had them, if they were doctors, lawyers or business people who had to be able to be reached on short notice.  

Portable phones in the States were not commonplace until the mid to late 90's.  So, a portable phone for the late 80's was the exception rather than the rule. Radio Shack used to sell them as a specialty item and still has some of it's ads online.    

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »

Pohlad had enough on his plate - what he accomplished with the Pet Sounds scenes was nothing short of amazing.

What people may not realize (especially young people who grew up with cell phones when they were in grade school) is that they were not something that everyone had. That goes back about 30 years.

And, I bought one as a gift in 1987 and it was a lot of money.  Then you had to get it installed in a car.  So, people had them, if they were doctors, lawyers or business people who had to be able to be reached on short notice.  

Portable phones in the States were not commonplace until the mid to late 90's.  So, a portable phone for the late 80's was the exception rather than the rule. Radio Shack used to sell them as a specialty item and still has some of it's ads online.    

Yeah, and there's a coupon for inexpensive phones at Fry's in Burbank, did you know that?

They give you lots of free minutes, and lots of free data! Isn't that great!

I'm so glad we can talk about the intricacies of cell phones, instead of the issue at hand!

Yipee!!!

Flippin' TROLL.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:54:37 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »

Yeah, and there's a coupon for inexpensive phones at Fry's in Burbank, did you know that?

They give you lots of free minutes, and lots of free data! Isn't that great!

I'm so glad we can talk about the intricacies of cell phones, instead of the issue at hand!

Yipee!!!

Flippin' TROLL.

It is utterly frikkin' exhausting, isn't it?  Can we get back to the subject of this thread, already, Madame Counselor?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx