gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:04:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 52380 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 12:40:12 AM »

Kinda figured there'd be some fiftieth anniversary Pet Sounds type release.

However, the question is, what can they put on there that will be new to us?

According to Mike, a stacks of vocals, no tracks CD.

But that's already on the old box.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 12:40:26 AM »

Is it only me or Mike sounds like he doesn't know that Al will be performing with Brian this year?:

"No, actually Al does his own thing and so does Brian"

"I've been speaking to Alan, but Brian's on his own recognizance."

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »

I actually disagree with my previous comment, unless of course I insist and then I'd have to reconsider and agree.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »

I had forgotten that. Apparently, so too has Mike.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »

I had forgotten that. Apparently, so too has Mike.

When I listened to the interview, I didn't get the impression that he was saying that the stack-o-vox was new to a new box. Just that the (old, I thought) box had it. I'm going to go back to listen again quick.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »

Yeah, there is no reason to think he's saying the vox only is new to the new box. "There is a box set they put out several years ago, and they're getting ready to do another one, which is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds, um, where it's just a CD of just the vocals. It's a multiple CD set, and it has just the vocals on this one CD." (15:23)

The mention of the new set is more an aside. His comment about the vocals-only disc is referring back to the old box.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 09:19:18 AM »

You're busted to PFC for that remark.

Pacific Foast Cighway?
Paleolithic Frothy Clump?
Preferred Fig Cookie?
Parts From Car?
Perforated Fascist Conglomeration?
Patrol For Comments?

Whatever the f*** PFC means, I guess (being busted) I have to throw myself upon the mercy of the court. Oooh, Court! Pathetic Factional Court! Got it! OK, I accept that I've been busted and reported to your pathetic factional court. I no longer throw myself upon its mercy. Now I just laugh at the charge as being typically childish.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »

Private First Class - the lowest form of military life.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »

Yeah, there is no reason to think he's saying the vox only is new to the new box. "There is a box set they put out several years ago, and they're getting ready to do another one, which is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds, um, where it's just a CD of just the vocals. It's a multiple CD set, and it has just the vocals on this one CD." (15:23)

The mention of the new set is more an aside. His comment about the vocals-only disc is referring back to the old box.

Agreed.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »

Frankly, at this point I hope Al tells Mike to go f*** himself
Al's too nice to do that.

Eh, he has some pretty bad words to say about Mike in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJOYwZUuYw

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »

Agreed.

Disagree.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »

Is it only me or Mike sounds like he doesn't know that Al will be performing with Brian this year?:

Probably just a case of Mike not wanting to acknowledge that Al's with Brian. You know, just in case the interviewer comes back and asks 'so which band has more original members?'  Shocked
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »

Agreed.

Disagree.

If you listen to the audio of the phone conversation, I'd agree with Eric and the captain that Mike is referring to the vocals only stuff on the previously issued Pet Sounds box, but it wasn't well translated into print by the author. Same thing when the author says, "John Stamos also drummed for y'all" and he has Mike replying, "John Stamos was just with us for a week." That response could cause a reader who didn't know much about the band to assume that Stamos had only ever played with the BBs for a week, rather than Mike stating that Stamos had recently played with them for a week, which is quite clear when listening to the full interview.

Regardless, it is interesting to hear Mike saying that a new Pet Sounds 50 anniversary box is planned.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 05:37:03 PM »

Private First Class - the lowest form of military life.

Incorrect. Take heed from someone who's been there. Trainee in boot camp is the lowest of the low.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »

EDIT: Wrong Thread
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:15:41 PM by Outside-Looking In » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »

Another story.

This guy seems to have the history but something may have been lost in translation. Was a PS Tour this year discuused?

'Love, an original Beach Boy vocalist and Brian’s cousin, is joined on tour by longtime Beach Boy keyboardist Bruce Johnston. Brian also performs with a fellow Beach Boy, guitarist Al Jardine, and has in fact also asked Love to join his band.'

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2016-03-05/kerns-love-providing-good-vibrations-original-beach-boy#.VtzviFR97cs
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:14:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
KDS
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »

Probably just a case of Mike not wanting to acknowledge that Al's with Brian. You know, just in case the interviewer comes back and asks 'so which band has more original members?'  Shocked

He could also be acknowledging that, while Al has been doing shows with Brian pretty such since C50, Al is not listed as an official member of Brian's band.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 07:40:02 AM »

I suppose it's possible that Brian pitched the PS50 tour to Mike (and the rest of the guys) as a BB tour, even if he knew the likely answer would be no. Anybody with a modicum of PR acumen would know that a full reunion PS tour would sell even more tickets, and is really the first super marketable "50th anniversary" since, well, the band's 50th anniversary.

Concerning Mike's discussion of a PS boxed set, I don't think we can assume anything yet. I don't think he's describing the entirety of any future boxed set. I think he's saying "They did a boxed set, they're doing another boxed set, and I remember on that boxed set there was a vocals-only version of the album."

I would assume a new PS boxed set would be mostly a reiteration of the old boxed set, no doubt with a few new things to get us to buy it again. I would presume it would have the "fixed" Mike bridge on the WIBN stereo mix. I just hope, if they do another boxed set, they at least give us like a full disc's worth of something new or different.

As for Mike "talking to Al", I take it more as Mike simply being on recent speaking terms with Al as opposed to not so much with Brian. I don't see Al jumping in on a random Mike show as super likely, for the following reasons:

1. The PS tour with Brian is booked pretty solid from March through October. There are obviously some gaps, but only a couple of larger gaps.

2. I'm guessing it wouldn't be politically the easiest thing for Al to do to be on Brian's tour and then also moonlight for guest appearances with Mike's band. Again, I'm not saying Brian is going to give Al the boot if Al pops in at one random Mike show to sing "Help Me Rhonda", but there are always some political issues at play, right or wrong.

3. The 2014 Jones Beach thing, from everything I've heard, left both Al and Mike feeling burned. I'm not sure how much they want to try *that* again.

4. Bonus thought: Mike had similar language about Al in earlier 2014 prior to the Jones Beach fiasco, about he and Al possibly writing something together. That obviously (we can only guess) came to naught. My guess is Mike is simply saying he has literally spoken to Al in more recent times. I would also guess that if they did anything together, it would be more likely to be some sort of studio situation of singing on each other's tracks or something.

I also agree with a few others that Mike saying he talks to Al could simply be a deflection against admitting that Al is on "Team Brian" these days. Mike *has* mentioned in other interviews that Al plays with Brian, but he does tend to soften it to something like "sometimes Al joins Brian", even though Al has played at nearly every post-C50 Brian show, starting in late 2012 through to the present. Al has only been absent at a handful of benefit gigs/TV show appearances. Al has certainly been on-board full-time on every actual full "tour" Brian has done since 2012.

One thing that makes me think there's a small chance that Mike is trying to butter Al up is that Mike has appeared to be playing a bit more hardball in the last couple years with whatever sour grapes (or vendetta or whatever you want to call it) concerning Brian, to the point of taking on two former Brian band guys, and trying to work Al into something back in 2014. So I don't find the idea impossible that Mike is trying to get Al back "on his side" and away from Brian. But that doesn't seem too plausible. I don't see Mike having any interest in just adding Al back to the band (they still have all sorts of BS between them, and he's probably have to boot Bruce to pay for Al). And again, Al's booked up most of this year. Plus, Al's comments about Mike the recent RS article, while not inflammatory, certainly don't sound like a guy who's ready to go play with Mike again.

With all of the "alone in the room" debates for the last few years about Brian and Mike, it would certainly be interesting if nothing else to hear what Al and Mike could come up with. I just don't know whether we'd ever hear the result even if they did get together and write and record a bit. Neither Al nor Mike have been prolific in releasing material.

Beyond that, what's left? Al playing in Mike's band? That frankly doesn't even sound that interesting. We'd get Al singing the same songs he sings with Brian, and maybe not even that many. The "deep cuts" Mike's band tends to do aren't "Al" songs. So Al singing with Brian's band (or with a full reunion) are exponentially more interesting prospects than Al joining Mike's band.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:50:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2016, 07:43:52 AM »

Mike is so boring in interview.  You can almost guess everything he is gonna say.
same old answers, same old sentences.  He must love the sound of his own voice.

C'mon! He is always answering to the same questions. And we read all his interviews. What do you expect?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »

We've had the "same interview answers" discussion many times here. I always cut Mike plenty of slack in this area, because the same questions *are* asked in countless interviews. McCartney does the same thing. Do we ever need to hear the "Scrambled Eggs" story again?

But Mike certainly doesn't seem to often put in a great effort to not hit the same talking points, many of which are rather self-congratulatory and minimize the need to talk about Brian and Al, especially in the present tense. It's not as if when, in 2015, Mike was asked about Brian, he said "Oh yeah, Brian just put another solo album out. Everybody should check it out!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »

Another story.

This guy seems to have the history but something may have been lost in translation. Was a PS Tour this year discuused?

'Love, an original Beach Boy vocalist and Brian’s cousin, is joined on tour by longtime Beach Boy keyboardist Bruce Johnston. Brian also performs with a fellow Beach Boy, guitarist Al Jardine, and has in fact also asked Love to join his band.'

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2016-03-05/kerns-love-providing-good-vibrations-original-beach-boy#.VtzviFR97cs

I figured that this interview would eventually show up here. I was so outraged by it yesterday that I refused to post it, but here it is.

Apparently Mike's stepping up his game on this one.  I guess it's time to peddle that book.

According to Mike, L&M wasn't true (even though Brian says it is, and Mike hasn't seen it, according to Mike).  It was Stan and Carl instead of Melinda who saved Brian from Landy, according to Mike.  I was on the sidelines watching this process and I have a pretty good idea of who did what.  Melinda and friends (who wish to not be acknowledged so far) fought long and hard to save Brian from Landy and his over-medication of Brian.  They did their best to get the family to take legal action, as they were the only people who could.  Keep remembering this - only the family could act. 

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.  Yet Mike says that Melinda didn't save Brian, but it was Carl and Stan?  I saw who was suffering and terrified that Brian might die before he got away from the man, and who was making all the efforts.  Melinda was front and center.  I'm glad Carl eventually chose to take legal action, as the movie portrayed. Maybe Mike should see the movie before calling it a lie.  Also, his portrayal in the film to me made him look like he was worried about the hit-making potential - not exactly damning.  Like I said, he should see the movie.

Finally, The Wilsons were trying to get the other BBs to do heroin?  Now this is the story?  Where was all this heroin?  I never saw any around Brian.  I'm not saying an incident couldn't have happened, but it was hardly a "lifestyle" for him.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »

Maybe Mike should see the movie before calling it a lie.  Also, his portrayal in the film to me made him look like he was worried about the hit-making potential - not exactly damning.  Like I said, he should see the movie.

I agree here. I don't think he comes off badly at all in the film -- and I suspect *he* would think he came off better in it than I do (since some of his concerns are portrayed as rather more reasonable than I think they were).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »

Another story.

Not sure how spot-on that writer is with the band's history. He refers to C50 as occurring in 2011 instead of 2012 (yes, they did the one studio recording in mid-2011, but that's surely not what he's referring to), incorrectly characterizes the 1988 R&R Hall of Fame event as a "reunion" (probably just to bring up Mike's speech), and seems to have possibly mischaracterized how Mike is portrayed in the L&M film (possibly to simply get a rise out of Mike).

I do find it interesting that Mike uses the "Stan and Carl" reasoning, which negates Melinda (or the movie's depiction at least), and doesn't realize that someone might wonder "Well, why did Mike's brother have to "do" something? Why didn't Mike? Stan Love didn't have any more standing with the courts than Mike did. They're both Brian's cousin."

Mike doesn't come out so well in the "Stan and Carl saved Brian" story either.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 09:23:22 AM »

Another story.

I figured that this interview would eventually show up here. I was so outraged by it yesterday that I refused to post it, but here it is.

Apparently Mike's stepping up his game on this one.  I guess it's time to peddle that book.

According to Mike, L&M wasn't true (even though Brian says it is, and Mike hasn't seen it, according to Mike).  It was Stan and Carl instead of Melinda who saved Brian from Landy, according to Mike.  I was on the sidelines watching this process and I have a pretty good idea of who did what.  Melinda and friends (who wish to not be acknowledged so far) fought long and hard to save Brian from Landy and his over-medication of Brian.  They did their best to get the family to take legal action, as they were the only people who could.  Keep remembering this - only the family could act. 

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.  Yet Mike says that Melinda didn't save Brian, but it was Carl and Stan?  I saw who was suffering and terrified that Brian might die before he got away from the man, and who was making all the efforts.  Melinda was front and center.  I'm glad Carl eventually chose to take legal action, as the movie portrayed. Maybe Mike should see the movie before calling it a lie.  Also, his portrayal in the film to me made him look like he was worried about the hit-making potential - not exactly damning.  Like I said, he should see the movie.

Finally, The Wilsons were trying to get the other BBs to do heroin?  Now this is the story?  Where was all this heroin?  I never saw any around Brian.  I'm not saying an incident couldn't have happened, but it was hardly a "lifestyle" for him.
Debbie KL - The movie did not leave me with the impression that the family was not involved.  I was left with two impressions.  First, that Melinda was the primary "facilitator" of the sunlight on the "Landy will."  She was the necessary communicator when Brian was "legally" in Landy's custody, to contact the family to act.  As a non-family member, at that time, it was better handled by one who had "standing" as a sibling, to articulate that problem.

And, second, that family had to be involved, because they had "standing" as family members, to go into the court and argue that there were "irregularities" and self-dealing, undue influence, etc., (Landy) to make himself beneficiary to the will.  I don't see anything inconsistent.   
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »

Another story.

Apparently Mike's stepping up his game on this one.  I guess it's time to peddle that book.

According to Mike, L&M wasn't true (even though Brian says it is, and Mike hasn't seen it, according to Mike).  It was Stan and Carl instead of Melinda who saved Brian from Landy, according to Mike.  I was on the sidelines watching this process and I have a pretty good idea of who did what.  Melinda and friends (who wish to not be acknowledged so far) fought long and hard to save Brian from Landy and his over-medication of Brian.  They did their best to get the family to take legal action, as they were the only people who could.  Keep remembering this - only the family could act.  

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.  Yet Mike says that Melinda didn't save Brian, but it was Carl and Stan?  I saw who was suffering and terrified that Brian might die before he got away from the man, and who was making all the efforts.  Melinda was front and center.  I'm glad Carl eventually chose to take legal action, as the movie portrayed. Maybe Mike should see the movie before calling it a lie.  Also, his portrayal in the film to me made him look like he was worried about the hit-making potential - not exactly damning.  Like I said, he should see the movie.

Finally, The Wilsons were trying to get the other BBs to do heroin?  Now this is the story?  Where was all this heroin?  I never saw any around Brian.  I'm not saying an incident couldn't have happened, but it was hardly a "lifestyle" for him.
Debbie KL - The movie did not leave me with the impression that the family was not involved.  I was left with two impressions.  First, that Melinda was the primary "facilitator" of the sunlight on the "Landy will."  She was the necessary communicator when Brian was "legally" in Landy's custody, to contact the family to act.  As a non-family member, at that time, it was better handled by one who had "standing" as a sibling, to articulate that problem.

And, second, that family had to be involved, because they had "standing" as family members, to go into the court and argue that there were "irregularities" and self-dealing, undue influence, etc., (Landy) to make himself beneficiary to the will.  I don't see anything inconsistent.    

I believe that was my point.  Melinda and friends provided the blood, sweat and tears.  The family were the only people who could take legal action.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:49:20 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx