gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:28:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 52300 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »

http://m.beaumontenterprise.com/entertainment/article/Q-A-Beach-Boys-talk-TV-touring-and-The-Beatles-6869179.php

Mostly a fluff piece, but Mike talks about a new Pet Sounds box, and the fact that he's been in communication with Al, and a few other interesting things.

There is also a longer audio version of the interview on the same page.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:49:39 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »

Interesting.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »

Kinda figured there'd be some fiftieth anniversary Pet Sounds type release.

However, the question is, what can they put on there that will be new to us?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »

At the planning meetings, I somehow doubt "what can we do for the likes of the Smiley Smile posters ?" was a phrase anyone so much as considered, much less uttered.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »

I wonder what the talks with Al have been about. (Warning: total speculation follows.) I'd guess just joining the group for some Beach Boys Pet Sounds shows. I shouldn't say "just" about that, as it would be cool, but some new recordings are always what I'm most interested in (even though new Beach Boys + Al songs are less interesting sans BW, as the nostalgia level is bound to be off the charts). Still, if that were the case, it would be interesting that Al did full Pet Sounds performances with two different groups in the same year.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »

I wonder what the talks with Al have been about. (Warning: total speculation follows.) I'd guess just joining the group for some Beach Boys Pet Sounds shows. I shouldn't say "just" about that, as it would be cool, but some new recordings are always what I'm most interested in (even though new Beach Boys + Al songs are less interesting sans BW, as the nostalgia level is bound to be off the charts). Still, if that were the case, it would be interesting that Al did full Pet Sounds performances with two different groups in the same year.

I can't see that happening -- if nothing else, Al is pretty much booked solid with Brian's band until mid-October. They've got 74 shows booked, which is almost as many as the 2012 tour already -- in fact I think this year Brian, Al, and Blondie have far more shows booked so far than MIke & Bruce have. I don't know when he'd fit in the shows -- unless of course Mike's planning to poach him from Brian's band and add him permanently to the touring band. Which is *extremely* unlikely (though if he is, and he's reading this -- could you leave it until June, so I get to see Al at the two Pet Sounds shows I've got tickets for?)
My guess, assuming they weren't just chatting, is that they might be discussing doing something together next year, since Brian's talked about this being a farewell tour.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »

I'm guessing it was more like Al *possibly* guest-appearing on a recording and/or a show or two. Nothing more. Just my guess.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »

Frankly, at this point I hope Al tells Mike to go f*** himself
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »

Couldn't agree more!! He could, he should, but he won't.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »

At the planning meetings, I somehow doubt "what can we do for the likes of the Smiley Smile posters ?" was a phrase anyone so much as considered, much less uttered.

C'mon Andrew! You know what I meant. Anything really revelatory that hasn't been released. Which I don't know is even possible. Or even anything from that era that could be collected in such a set.

What even "previously released" material could they put on such a set?

There are no unique single mixes, are there? I don't think so. I suppose as far as stuff that wasn't on The Pet Sounds Sessions set, you could add the mono mix of "Trombone Dixie" that was on the first Pet Sounds CD reissue, but that's not exactly the sorta thing that'll get people opening there wallets to grab $129.99. I suppose they could do another new stereo mix of the album, an "alternate" mix if you will, to the "official" stereo mix of 1996. Maybe there were some more piano demos out there, a la "Don't Talk"? I personally doubt it, as you'd think they'd have been used before now. Could you rope in "Stella by Starlight" or "How Deep Is the Ocean"? I guess, but are they even considered "Beach Boys" tunes?

The only other things, and some would probably think this to be horrible, but maybe have Tony Asher write new lyrics to "Let's Go Away for a While", "Pet Sounds" and "Trombone Dixie" and have Brian and Al do some new vocals, like how "Summer Means New Love" was remodeled into "Somewhere Quiet." I personally think that'd be cool, but I definitely could understand it would be anathema to a lot of people here.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »

Couldn't disagree more. He could, he shouldn't, and hopefully he won't. The past several years' worth of touring Beach Boys sound great based on most of what I've heard, and adding Al is obviously a plus, whatever the situation. As long as everyone decides they want to, whether out of friendship, financial interests, nostalgia, or whatever else, I hope they find something to work together on. One show, one tour, one song, one album, or more of any of the aforementioned.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »

Mike is so boring in interview.  You can almost guess everything he is gonna say.
same old answers, same old sentences.  He must love the sound of his own voice.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »

Mike is so boring in interview.  You can almost guess everything he is gonna say.
same old answers, same old sentences. 

Now that I agree with. Although he's not the only celebrity to do something similar. It's probably worth keeping in mind that not everyone reads or listens to all interviews, just people like us. So if he thinks he has good anecdotes, it's not too surprising he returns to them. Analogously, I'm interested in biblical criticism, and so I watch or listen to a lot of speeches, debates, lectures, etc. Bart Ehrman is a leading scholar in the field. He has a handful of anecdotes he repeats over and over, year after year, speech after speech. While he does admittedly seem a bit arrogant, I don't assume that's the main reason for the repetition; rather, it's that he's found the anecdotes useful.

All that said, Brian isn't exactly a great interview either. Occasionally surprising and interesting answers, but he contradicts himself over time enough that one has to wonder what's even true. Al is interesting, but doesn't seem to have the best memory. Bruce is interesting, but he definitely seems to go to lengths to dole out at least equal praise to Mike and Brian. Of the living guys, I'd rather listen to David than anyone, but of course he missed a lot of the history. Maybe Carl or Dennis would have been more dependable and insightful, had they lived.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »

His answers are a good match for a bunch of boring same old questions.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »

Al's too nice to do that.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »

Yeah, Mike doesn't give illuminating interviews like Brian does.... Roll Eyes
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »

David Marks by FAR! is the best person who gets interviewed.
And he usually throws in some more sideline history and tidbits that have not been discussed much before.
Another thing, I wish these damn stupid interview people would do some simple research into their subject matter.
A simple search would have answered the touring with Al question.  Why can't these guys ask some questions that
aren't often asked?  Completely unoriginal questions that have been asked a billion times.
No wonder Brian gets or is 'shitty' with interviews also.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »

Couldn't disagree more. He could, he shouldn't, and hopefully he won't. The past several years' worth of touring Beach Boys sound great based on most of what I've heard, and adding Al is obviously a plus, whatever the situation. As long as everyone decides they want to, whether out of friendship, financial interests, nostalgia, or whatever else, I hope they find something to work together on. One show, one tour, one song, one album, or more of any of the aforementioned.

Kohkohbullshit at it's best. You're busted to PFC for that remark. May Al stay with Brian for the long haul and not give myKe luHv , who had his chance and blew it, the time of day.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »

Yes, unfortunately for all concerned on & offstage. Just think of all that TIME he's wasted over the years as the most jaw flapping, uninteresting, boring, self absorbed dog ever to disgrace a stage. And don't think he doesn't preapprove the questions.  Roll Eyes

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »

it's just the overkill of 'Brian had this part, but I came up the bass part, or I wrote all of this blah blah blah, we're gonna
have some fun, fun, fun and play some good vibrations blah blah blah.'
'cousin Brian and Dennis did drugs blah blah, I hung out with maharishi with George and and I wrote this song blah blah,
which is a tribute in the show to him' blah blah
and on it goes.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 08:20:48 PM »

I agree with you 100%! Your right on with that remark!  Smiley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »

I wouldn't think to read too much into Al & Mike doing anything...especially with how that 4th of July BS went down a couple years back. Probably just in conversation over the "new" release...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »

I disagree with you 100%!

No. I'm just joshing. I thought I would give this sub-thread some symmetry.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 09:58:28 PM »

I disagree with you 100%!

No. I'm just joshing. I thought I would give this sub-thread some symmetry.
I have to agree with you 100% but if push comes to shove, I'm 100% against it!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »

Kinda figured there'd be some fiftieth anniversary Pet Sounds type release.

However, the question is, what can they put on there that will be new to us?

According to Mike, a stacks of vocals, no tracks CD.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx