gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:43:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB song/songs you wish had a different lead vocalist?  (Read 5870 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »

I think Dennis would have been good for a day in the life of a tree.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »

I wish Al would have taken the Mike's vocal on Bluebirds Over The Mountain
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »

Al Jardine should have been the lead vocalist on Vegetables.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:40 AM »

Would have loved to have the Dennis version of Sail On Sailor, recorded at a time when his voice was in pretty good shape....especially for that song.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:13:17 AM »

It seems that Al, with a far superior voice than the nasal bleating myKe luHv, was absolutely under utilized as a lead singer on the early hits. I am sure Brian was aware of this but felt that he'd be put through the wringer if he didn't use the luHvster on those leads.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:17:47 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 09:21:41 AM »

I think Al would have been a better choice for California Saga: California.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »

Sail On Sailor - usually at the top of my list; wish it would've been Carl or Dennis; I never cared for Blondie's lead or voice
A Day In The Life Of A Tree - this song was made for Brian or Dennis' voice
Getcha Back - I wish Carl would've done the tag
In The Back Of My Mind - anybody but Dennis; I love Dennis' (later) vocals but not on this one
The Beach Boys' Christmas Album - I wish Carl would've taken a lead, that way all five Beach Boys would've gotten one
Shelter and Isn't It Time - nothing against Foskett but I wish Brian would've gone for those high parts 
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »

I would have liked Brian or Al to sing the second verse on Sloop John B. I've never liked Mike's vocal on this song.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:45:43 AM by lee » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:52:10 AM »

I wish there were alternate versions of the entire Stars & Stripes album with the Beach Boys singing the lead vocals.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Dennis on 4th of July...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »

I think Please Let Me Wonder would have been perfect for Carl.

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »

No LEAD vocals by anyone who's nose was on the critical list...on ANY of their songs.  Absolutely  > NO <  2nd version of Forever.  I 'get' Brian wanting the "tree" sounding like a tree.  So, that said, I'll begrudgingly accept Jack's impersonation of said tree...although it might have SOUNDED more appealing if someone else had sung it.

I think that I would have liked to have heard Caroline No with more voices included.  What the heck was a solo song doing on a group album?  [the dogs don't count.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »

I wish we would have gotten all the Dennis leads over the years that were originally planned for him, such as I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, Sail on Sailor, etc.  I even think I heard once that Dennis was originally supposed to sing Cabinessence in an exaggerated country voice, I would love that.

I also wish Dennis sang lead on more of his own songs such as All I Want to Do, It's About Time, Steamboat, and Only You. 

Basically I want more Dennis leads.

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »

Gotta beg to differ. No one could sing please let me wonder or i just wasn't made for these times like Brian in his prime
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »

Dennis certainly had the chops during the mid 60's, he probably should have been used more for lead vocals,
before he trashed it in the mid 70's.  'Got to know the woman' certainly shows the range he had before
the 'whisper' low voice era.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »

I may be the outlier here, but I actually love Dennis's late 70s raspy voice.  It adds so much emotion to the music, you can tell he's really feeling what he's singing. 

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »

I got in trouble with the man himself who assigned the lead vocals, for my opinion on this, so I'm probably stupid to comment here.  I loved Mr. Love's bass vocals in the old BBs stack.  I never liked his lead voice - he always sounded like he was "taunting" people as a teenage snotty kid to me. 

Somehow, thanks to all those amazing songs and harmonies, I still bought all those records, though.  Possibly Mr. Wilson knows more than me about these things.  Grin
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »

I agree with more Dennis and Al in general. either could have done Tree justice and I'd love to hear Dennis and Carl's attempts at SOS.

but mostly I wish Brian had laid down more leads on his compositions, at least in demo form.
if there was just one version of Brian singing God Only knows in '66 I would die much happier. same goes for any number of songs that Carl or somebody else sang instead. it's a long list.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »

I agree with more Dennis and Al in general. either could have done Tree justice and I'd love to hear Dennis and Carl's attempts at SOS.

but mostly I wish Brian had laid down more leads on his compositions, at least in demo form.
if there was just one version of Brian singing God Only knows in '66 I would die much happier. same goes for any number of songs that Carl or somebody else sang instead. it's a long list.

The Pet Sounds Sessions box set has a version of God Only Knows with Brian on lead.  Although it sounds more like Carl and Brian doubling.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »

right. turns out Brian might not even be on that version. it sounds like an alternate Carl vocal to me
KDS
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »

I think Dennis would have been good for a day in the life of a tree.

Anybody but Jack Rieley.  You have a band with SIX capable lead singers. 

On the Sunflower album, I'd trade at least one of the Bruce leads, either on Diedre or At My Window, for an Al lead. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 10:11:49 PM »

I never really cared for having Blondie or Ricky sing on BB's songs. Carl did SOS awesome in later concerts, so no reason he couldn't have sung it in the studio. IMO there could never be too many Carl leads on a BB's album.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 10:59:14 PM »

I got in trouble with the man himself who assigned the lead vocals, for my opinion on this, so I'm probably stupid to comment here.  I loved Mr. Love's bass vocals in the old BBs stack.  I never liked his lead voice - he always sounded like he was "taunting" people as a teenage snotty kid to me. 

Somehow, thanks to all those amazing songs and harmonies, I still bought all those records, though.  Possibly Mr. Wilson knows more than me about these things.  Grin

Just my opinion, but with few exceptions (songs on Pet Sounds), it seems that Brian utilized Mike as a lead vocalist when the lead vocals were the least interesting thing in a particular song.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 07:21:31 AM »

Oh...almost forgot...Right from the get-go I have always wanted a different narrator for Mt. Vernon and Fairway.  I always felt that the narration detracted from the FEEL...from the FANTASY.  The narration is rather like the lead vocal as it suggests the story...in this case poorly and amateurishly.  It doesn't necessarily require some big-voiced announcer type.  It requires a really warm voice and a read from someone who 'gets' the part. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:23:32 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

The Pet Sounds Sessions box set has a version of God Only Knows with Brian on lead.  Although it sounds more like Carl and Brian doubling.
That version sounded like Brian to me from the start. Compare it with other Brian leads such as verses on IJWMFTT & Sloop John B.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx