gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:45:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Today" Seas Of Tunes  (Read 3382 times)
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:41:08 PM »

Don't know if I can ask this on this forum but here goes anyway.
One of my local 2nd hand stores has 2 box sets of the Today album on a label called Sea Of Tunes (Volume 1 & 2). My guess is that they are bootlegs. They are numbered   815 & 774  of 1000.  Are these likely to be the original pressings? They are asking a hefty price and before I lay out the dollars I thought I would get some expert advice. The Today LP is one of my favorite BBs LPs.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:19:29 AM »

Grab 'em... and then track down the remaining sets in the Unsurpassed Masters Series ! Check out the full listings to compare the boxes you've seen on the beachboys.com site (go to the 'Rarities' page)...
This direct link may work - http://www.beachboys.com/raritiesIII.html#1
'nuff said...  Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:37:36 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »

Grab 'em... and then track down the remaining sets in the Unsurpassed Masters Series ! Check out the full listings to compare the boxes you've seen on the beachboys.com site (go to the 'Rarities' page)...
'nuff said...  Wink

+1!

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:05:46 AM »

The first SOT sets I bought - and they're AMAZING stuff. High-quality recordings of the master at work. After this, I had to have them all!

Plus, the Today sets are STILL the only place on disc where you can get, unedited, in stereo and in pretty much official release quality, the full backing track for In The Back Of My Mind...

It's all mind-blowing stuff, though. Prior to hearing these, I was pretty much only a Wilson fan from 1966 onwards. There were a few things from before that date that I liked, but I still had 61-65 down as the Beach Boys' cheesy, disposable 'fun in the sun' era. These sets, starting with the Today SOTs, made me realise the error of my ways...!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:58:10 AM »

Yes, grab 'em while you can! This is THE box set "release" that inspired me to launch my so website where I attempt to document the working behind the BBs' recorded output, including full track credits! More than worth it's weight in GOLD!! 
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »

Are they worth $400 each? That's about $US 300 each. That is a real big layout of money.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »

Are they worth $400 each? That's about $US 300 each. That is a real big layout of money.

Well, to me, yes. To most people? Maybe not...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »

Seeing as they are unofficial items not made by the band, I never understand why anyone would place any kind of substantial monetary value on a boot, at least once the era of the internet came around. Just my opinion. I'm sure all the tracks on these CDs can be found free online with a little detective work.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:47:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »

That's a lot of money, imo.

I've picked up many 2nd hand SOT items for between $40-$100 (AU, of course) in Melbourne.  But it's a long waiting game.

Also consider UM 10Alternate Party is now somewhat surpassed (bar 1 or 2 tracks), which may or may not be the future fate of other collections, especially if the source multi's have gotten/get back to our favourite archivists.

But if you have the bread and want to buy it now, an opportunity awaits.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:10:30 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 10:14:31 PM »

Seeing as they are unofficial items not made by the band, I never understand why anyone would place any kind of substantial monetary value on a boot, at least once the era of the internet came around. Just my opinion. I'm sure all the tracks on these CDs can be found free online with a little detective work.

Well, yes - I've seen most of the contents of the SOTs on-line. But the quality of the on-line files is often sheee-ite compared with the SOT silver discs. 128kbps rips aren't much cop compared to the originals.

If you can refer to boots as 'originals'...! Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »

When the sets were new I paid £60 (£15 per disc) at the time - around $80–$85 USD for a four-disc set. The asking price of $400 sounds pretty optimistic to me… yes, the tracks are essential if you covet that kind of thing but there are cheaper reissues around and, as others have pointed out, downloads, albeit lower quality, can be found online.

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »

THis is the stuff that should have been released legitimately last year.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

Even Henry Rollins has endorsed these sets! Seriously!

I remember him raving about them back when they were coming out, imploring people to pick them up while they could. Of course, it was a very expensive proposition to buy all of those SOT sets, to say nothing of having access to purchase the original, factory-pressed boxed sets.

The SOT sets were/are more indications that nothing seems to be able to motivate BRI to counteract this stuff and put it out themselves.

The SOT stuff is revelatory, no question. I'm probably more interested at this stage in hearing unreleased 70s and 80s material than hearing ten breakdown takes of "I'm So Young", but I'd love to see BRI finally sign off on some sort of online hub for outtakes of *all* sorts. And live shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input.
I have heard them, a friend has those sets. He feels they are the originals.
Sound matters to me and I don't think I can download wav files of the CDs.
I guess I have to weigh up the cost against importance to have the tracks.
I like the way they show the progression of the construction of the tracks
Thanks again
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:06:12 PM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: