gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:59:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Found Shut Down (vol 1 of course)  (Read 3886 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:44 AM »

I am listening to it and lo and behold the songs "Shut Down" and "409" are different! "Shut Down" has a new car sound at the beginning and "409" is live...however most of the other songs aren't very good, some even have stupid lyrics and sound more like novelty songs,,,, I can see why Brian was upset with it's release..in fact with the exception of the 2 BB songs I didn't like ANY of the other songs,,,
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »

I thought they never made a Vol 1 and only released an album Shut Down Vol 2???
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »

I am listening to it and lo and behold the songs "Shut Down" and "409" are different! "Shut Down" has a new car sound at the beginning and "409" is live...however most of the other songs aren't very good, some even have stupid lyrics and sound more like novelty songs,,,, I can see why Brian was upset with it's release..in fact with the exception of the 2 BB songs I didn't like ANY of the other songs,,,

is it on CD?
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »

Do you know what concert 409 is from?
KDS
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »

Capitol released a compilation of car songs to cash in on the success of The Beach Boys and called it Shut Down.

In response, the Boys released Shut Down Vol 2. 
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »

Capitol released a compilation of car songs to cash in on the success of The Beach Boys and called it Shut Down.

Yes, I have a vague memory of it, and even the little teen fan that I was, I didn't buy it.  Now Vol 2 is obviously a different story.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »

Yes, I have a vague memory of it, and even the little teen fan that I was, I didn't buy it.  Now Vol 2 is obviously a different story.

Oh yes, Shut Down Volume 2 is essential.  Don't Worry Baby, Warmth of the Sun, In the Parkin Lot, Fun Fun Fun, Keep on Eye on Summer, and a version of Louie Louie where you can understand the lyrics. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »

Robert Mitchum:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/robert-mitchum-sings.html
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »

is it on CD?

Yeah Josh, definitely interested in hearing what version you are listening to, because I just pulled out my original Capitol T 1918 vinyl, and "409" is the standard studio version.  "Shut Down" does have additional car sounds, but I believe I've read that they were added by Capitol after the fact, and thus are not part of an authorized Brian Wilson mix.

Lee
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:26:28 PM »

What version of the album are you listening to where 409 is live. It sounds like 409 is just the studio version.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

What version of the album are you listening to where 409 is live. It sounds like 409 is just the studio version.
Grin
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:42:56 PM by joshferrell » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »

wow! wow! wow!
details people?Huh?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:42:21 PM »

here is a zipfile of it....I hope it works for you...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jbq4zw
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:44:10 PM by joshferrell » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »

Whoever posted the MP3 torrent spliced in the version of "409" from the U.S. Singles Collection box set, recorded at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago on March 27, 1965.  The Shut Down album was released in 1963.  Mystery solved.

Official video of that version:
http://youtu.be/-VQWpaGCiNQ

Lee
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:17:42 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »

Whoever posted the MP3 torrent spliced in the version of "409" from the U.S. Singles Collection box set, recorded at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago on March 27, 1965.  The Shut Down album was released in 1963.  Mystery solved.

Official video of that version:
http://youtu.be/-VQWpaGCiNQ

Lee
cool thanks..  Grin
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 05:36:10 PM »

good detective work Lee.  Totally forgot about that collection.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 05:40:49 PM »

is it on CD?

Yeah Josh, definitely interested in hearing what version you are listening to, because I just pulled out my original Capitol T 1918 vinyl, and "409" is the standard studio version.  "Shut Down" does have additional car sounds, but I believe I've read that they were added by Capitol after the fact, and thus are not part of an authorized Brian Wilson mix.

Lee
The stereo version of the beginning of Shut Down is really cool. The squeals of the Funny Car tires starts left and ends in the right speaker. Just like it is passing you on the 1/4 mile track.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:36 AM »

ok so the 409 released on Shut Down Vol 1 is the studio version no mater what version of the album you get?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »

ok so the 409 released on Shut Down Vol 1 is the studio version no mater what version of the album you get?
The original mono LP has the original 409 and Shut Down, while the stereo LP has the original duophonic 409 and stereo Shut Down. The tire squeal is just added to the front of the song similar to how the James Bond like theme is tacked on to the front of Help on the U.S. movie soundtrack album. That tack on really works well on Shut Down too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:10:53 AM »

The original mono LP has the original 409 and Shut Down, while the stereo LP has the original duophonic 409 and stereo Shut Down. The tire squeal is just added to the front of the song similar to how the James Bond like theme is tacked on to the front of Help on the U.S. movie soundtrack album. That tack on really works well on Shut Down too.

Thanks! how about the Japan import? what version of Shut Down is that.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »

This was always a favorite of mine...  But then, on the other hand, I also enjoyed listening to Spike Jones... Grin
(Wonder if Brian - or any of the other boys - liked Spike Jones??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGNBBZDRqFo
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:57:08 AM by bsten » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »

Isn't Robert Mitchum on this record singing the theme song from Thunder Road?
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »

I have a Japanese CD of the Shut Down LP (it wasn't ever Shut Down Vol 1) issued in 2012. It is the mono version of the album but the sound is slightly left of centre. If does have the Mitchum track but it also includes 4 Super Stocks featuring Gary Usher. 
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »

I have a Japanese CD of the Shut Down LP (it wasn't ever Shut Down Vol 1) issued in 2012. It is the mono version of the album but the sound is slightly left of centre. If does have the Mitchum track but it also includes 4 Super Stocks featuring Gary Usher. 

so the cd has the cool car sounds to Shut Down since its also in mono?
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »

Yeah, is identical to the LP.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx