-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Hipsterism
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hipsterism  (Read 19949 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »

To both, I'm very glad I haven't pissed you off. I love to argue, but I hate to argue, you know?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »

KDS, you've said you have Irish and German ancestry and you cited some examples in which people have said some jokes about the Irish or Germans and it didn't bug you. But suppose you faced actual discrimination for being Irish or German? Suppose people assumed that since you're Irish, you're likely to have an alcohol problem and thus should routinely have to go get your blood alcohol level checked to keep your drivers' license? In that case, would people joking about Irish drinking bug you a bit? Because the cultural perception that the Irish have alcohol problems would be, in real practical ways, negatively affecting your life?
KDS
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »

KDS, you've said you have Irish and German ancestry and you cited some examples in which people have said some jokes about the Irish or Germans and it didn't bug you. But suppose you faced actual discrimination for being Irish or German? Suppose people assumed that since you're Irish, you're likely to have an alcohol problem and thus should routinely have to go get your blood alcohol level checked to keep your drivers' license? In that case, would people joking about Irish drinking bug you a bit? Because the cultural perception that the Irish have alcohol problems would be, in real practical ways, negatively affecting your life?

Emily,

Discrimination is 100% different. 

As for the perception of the Irish drinking.  I take it was good humor.  It doesn't bug me at all. 

No safe space needed for me. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2016, 01:16:42 PM »

Emily,

As for the perception of the Irish drinking.  I take it was good humor.  It doesn't bug me at all. 

Yes, but I'm asking if you were discriminated against because it was assumed that you have a drinking problem because of your Irish ancestry, would jokes about the Irish having drinking problems be likely to bother you more than they do?
KDS
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »

Emily,

Yes, but I'm asking if you were discriminated against because it was assumed that you have a drinking problem because of your Irish ancestry, would jokes about the Irish having drinking problems be likely to bother you more than they do?

Yeah, but that would never happen as we of Irish decent have this weird thing called....um....oh that's right, a sense of humor.

That's why you don't see a bunch of Irish people protesting Notre Dame Fighting Irish games. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »

Emily,

As for the perception of the Irish drinking.  I take it was good humor.  It doesn't bug me at all.  

Yeah, but that would never happen as we of Irish decent have this weird thing called....um....oh that's right, a sense of humor.

That's why you don't see a bunch of Irish people protesting Notre Dame Fighting Irish games.  
What would never happen? The Irish would never be discriminated against? Or they would never protest being discriminated against? Or what?
(and Irish Americans tend to think of Notre Dame as an Irish American institution. Having a team from an Irish American institution called the Fighting Irish is a bit different, politically speaking, than having an Anglo/white American team named after their genocide victims.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:48:32 PM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »

If the Irish were actually discriminated against, you'd probably see some protests. 

But, I'm referring to the use of an Irish stereotype as a sports mascot.  There's also one as a cereal mascot.  How much protest has this generated?  Zero. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2016, 11:56:55 PM »

If the Irish were actually discriminated against, you'd probably see some protests. 

But, I'm referring to the use of an Irish stereotype as a sports mascot.  There's also one as a cereal mascot.  How much protest has this generated?  Zero. 
Yeah, but Irish Americans don't face discrimination due to their leprechauny image in the United States. Irish Americans have become part of the hegemony, particularly in East Coast cities. If people were refusing to hire Irish people because they are so leprechauny, Irish people might start having problems with being depicted as leprechauny.

My point is, it's easy for a person who doesn't face serious discrimination to dismiss other people's reactions to discrimination. The Irish have gone to war over being discriminated against and you can bet that when a British-identifying Protestant in Northern Ireland makes stereotyping jokes about Irish Catholics, the Irish-identifying Catholics don't chuckle along.
KDS
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »

Emily,

You're saying I'm leprechauny?  I'll have you know that I'm 6'1. 

We're four pages into this thing, and it's obvious that you and I share completely different points of view.  So, at this point, I see no point in furthering our argument. 

Quite frankly, I think it's sad that one should even have to have such a discussion.  As I really think people in the 21st Century are becoming way too sensitive.

You can agree or disagree.  Probably disagree. 

But there's really no point in hashing this out any longer. 

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2016, 12:14:38 AM »

Emily,

You're saying I'm leprechauny?  I'll have you know that I'm 6'1. 

We're four pages into this thing, and it's obvious that you and I share completely different points of view.  So, at this point, I see no point in furthering our argument. 

Quite frankly, I think it's sad that one should even have to have such a discussion.  As I really think people in the 21st Century are becoming way too sensitive.

You can agree or disagree.  Probably disagree. 

But there's really no point in hashing this out any longer. 

No, I wasn't saying you're leprechauny. I was referring to what I assume was your reference to the lucky charms leprechaun.
I agree it's sad that one should have to have such a discussion, but of course for the opposite reason.
http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/03/15/every-irish-person-in-britain-knows-the-little-nod-the-little-wink/
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »

Reviving this thread, since some of my friends insist that I'm a hipster.

as I sit here with my loose leaf tea and indie music and eclectically decorated apartment.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »

Eh, I feel like "hipster" is often just a buzzword used by people to dismiss other people they don't like, understand, or agree with. Usually young, scary people.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »

Eh, I feel like "hipster" is often just a buzzword used by people to dismiss other people they don't like, understand, or agree with. Usually young, scary people.
Shuddup, ya hipster Razz

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2016, 10:51:58 PM »

Shuddup, ya hipster Razz
i see what u did there.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2016, 10:55:33 PM »

Agree.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »

My opinion on the hipster thing, sometimes i see people I might identify as hipsters do things that make me roll my eyes... but at the end of the day, I always try to realize that that's their THING, I have my THING and they probably see it as just as strange.  Most people don't do annoying things because they're assholes, most of them do annoying things because they're trying to stumble through life like the rest of us. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: