gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:52:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 70s Hanna Barbara Beach Boys cartoon concept art IS THIS REAL?  (Read 15598 times)
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »

Searched for this topic and didn't see anything so sorry if this has been posted before.
Are these real? Apparently comic artist Peter Bagge has made reference to this rumor in the past.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:17:50 PM by chaki » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »

Search for this topic and didn't see anything so sorry if this has been posted before.
Are these real? Apparently comic artist Peter Bagge has made reference to this rumor in the past.

I'm sure Carl would have LOVED this depiction.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »

Al looks like they just put a hat on Shaggy from Scooby Doo. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »

Search for this topic and didn't see anything so sorry if this has been posted before.

I'm sure Carl would have LOVED this depiction.

Maybe some episodes it would have been cold cuts, other episodes ice cream. Kinda like the Dick Van Dyke Show... you never know if you're gonna get an ottoman episode or not!  LOL
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21285.msg515943.html#msg515943
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:02 AM »

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/animation-anecdotes-103/

According to this article, Hanna Barbera announced plans for a Beach Boys cartoon in 1965 but it never happened.  Clearly the character designs in those pictures were from much later on.  Maybe it's possible they were still trying to develop the same show a decade later.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 11:04:16 AM »

The Beach Boys did sign a deal with Hanna-Barbera in 1976, but that doesn't look to me like Hanna-Barbera art, at all...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »

Apart from Mike’s hat, which seemed to be more of a circa-1980 fixture, the designs seem pre-1976, even if we assume they just stripped the beards away (this allowing for this be post-1965.)

If this is a 1976 design, then Carl was being unfairly targeted even more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »

Was Dennis going to be depicted as the band's kung-fu expert?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/animation-anecdotes-103/

According to this article, Hanna Barbera announced plans for a Beach Boys cartoon in 1965 but it never happened.  Clearly the character designs in those pictures were from much later on.  Maybe it's possible they were still trying to develop the same show a decade later.

Hanna-Barbera were certainly interested in doing a cartoon about a band in 1965 -- they planned a series called The Bats, which was to be about a fictional band in the Monkees style (though this was of course pre-Monkees). Danny Hutton recorded and released a single "by" The Bats, and they actually approached -- of all people -- Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band to be a live version of The Bats for touring purposes, but the deal fell through.

Whether the Beach Boys discussions were around that same time, or whether someone has conflated the 1976 deal ( reported in Billboard Dec 25 1976 -- https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xCQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT37&lpg=PT37&dq=beach+boys+hanna-barbera&source=bl&ots=YzGE04SebO&sig=IgwZD2DDwtFq70NnAkVedxoUfgY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwispbT2yZPLAhWMExoKHTV_CfEQ6AEIKDAF ) with the 1965 plans for a band cartoon, I don't know.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »

Why is Brian depicted as a handyman with tools?
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »

He's a craftsman in the studio?  Maybe. 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »

He's a craftsman in the studio?  Maybe. 

Workshop sessions?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »

Was Dennis going to be depicted as the band's kung-fu expert?

And bassist, apparently.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »

These look legit to me in that some of the characterisations are just so bizarre (I'm looking at you handyman Brian / Kung fu Dennis!)

Great find.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »

It's very possible that it was just a rumor, but quite a few years ago I seem to remember reading somewhere that The Beach Boys were at one time planned to be "guests" on an episode of The New Scooby-Doo Movies.  It was a one hour show which featured different guest stars in every episode.  They actually used Sonny & Cher and Cass Elliot in episodes, so who knows?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:41:15 PM by acedecade75 » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 10:19:31 PM »

Didn't Bruce mention in that February 1971 WPLJ-FM New York radio interview that there were plans for a Beach Boys cartoon? I think he said it was going to be like the old Beatles cartoons, only hipper, and with an ecology slant. I'm too lazy to get it out to listen right now, but maybe someone else could. Either way, Bruce isn't depicted here, is he?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »

Either way, Bruce isn't depicted here, is he?

I think Bruce is the orangutan.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »

Interesting that between the first and second panels, everyone's hair color changed (except Mike's)!
Edit: on second thought, Mike's hair color did change a bit...just not as drastically as the others!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:48:58 AM by c-man » Logged
KDS
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »

It's very possible that it was just a rumor, but quite a few years ago I seem to remember reading somewhere that The Beach Boys were at one time planned to be "guests" on an episode of The New Scooby-Doo Movies.  It was a one hour show which featured different guest stars in every episode.  They actually used Sonny & Cher and Cass Elliot in episodes, so who knows?

Missed opportunity. 

I used to love Scooby Doo Meets Batman when I was a kid. 
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »

Um.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 03:40:33 PM »

Anyone notice that Al is apparently three feet taller than everybody else?  That's a stretch, literally and figuratively.

I actually love the Mike characterization, and Brian always wearing headphones is kinda cool.  Carl hopefully called his lawyer immediately.  But this reminds me of the "Happy Endings" video in that it's like a fever dream after eating taco bell right before you go to bed.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »

Is the ape supposed to be Murry?
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »

Scene: Hanna-Barbera boardroom

Bill: Thanks for coming, guys.  Here's some concept art for the cartoon. Mike, you're going to be the fast-talking frontman who bluffs his way out of trouble.

Mike: Cool.

Joe: And Brian, you're going to be the nerdy science geek who's always inventing new sounds. Um....Brian?

Brian: (plays tape recorder) Yes.

Bill: Um, anyway....Al, you're going to be a fun-loving groovy guy.

Al: Hmm, okay, but can we work in my love of folk music?

Bill and Joe: Um..well...sure, maybe we can do something with that. (exchange worried glances)

Bill: Now Dennis, since you're a buff guy who's wild and everything, you're gonna be the muscle. We made you a karate expert....Dennis?

Joe: (cough) (whispers) He left with your secretary about 10 minutes ago.

Bill: Oh, er, well....and Carl, you're...um...just gonna be fat.

Carl: (surprised) Come again?

Bill: Y'know, a little slow, dim-witted, that sort of thing. All you care about his eating junk food. Kind of like Yogi Bear.

Joe: But even dumber. We have a great storyboard for an episode where you split your pants. (laughs)

Bill: (laughs) Oh, that's a funny one. And then later, you eat so much ice cream that the rest of the Beach Boys can't fit you through a door. (laughs)

Joe: And then the car gets a flat tire because...

Carl: Alright, alright, I get it! (whispers to the other Beach Boys) Guys, there is NO way I'm going to sign off on this.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:37:36 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »

Scene: Hanna-Barbera boardroom

Bill: Thanks for coming, guys.  Here's some concept art for the cartoon. Mike, you're going to be the fast-talking frontman who bluffs his way out of trouble.

Mike: Cool.

Joe: And Brian, you're going to be the nerdy science geek who's always inventing new sounds. Um....Brian?

Brian: (plays tape recorder) Yes.

Bill: Um, anyway....Al, you're going to be a fun-loving groovy guy.

Al: Hmm, okay, but can we work in my love of folk music?

Bill and Joe: Um..well...sure, maybe we can do something with that. (exchange worried glances)

Bill: Now Dennis, since you're a buff guy who's wild and everything, you're gonna be the muscle. We made you a karate expert....Dennis?

Joe: (cough) (whispers) He left with your secretary about 10 minutes ago.

Bill: Oh, er, well....and Carl, you're...um...just gonna be fat.

Carl: (surprised) Come again?

Bill: Y'know, a little slow, dim-witted, that sort of thing. All you care about his eating junk food. Kind of like Yogi Bear.

Joe: But even dumber. We have a great storyboard for an episode where you split your pants. (laughs)

Bill: (laughs) Oh, that's a funny one. And then later, you eat so much ice cream that the rest of the Beach Boys can't fit you through a door. (laughs)

Joe: And then the car gets a flat tire because...

Carl: Alright, alright, I get it! (whispers to the other Beach Boys) Guys, there is NO way I'm going to sign off on this.  

I'd bet the last quote actually happened.  I wouldn't be surprised if all of it did...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx