gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:01:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Facebook picture with the Pet Sounds Masters?  (Read 8349 times)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:20:25 AM »

Couldn't see a thread for it yet, but this was posted on Facebook earlier today.

"Brian's in the studio with the original Pet Sounds master tapes. Room 3 – where he recorded the album ..."

https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/?fref=nf

Are they preparing for a new release?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:36:14 AM »

Hmm.. let me think... the album was released fifty years ago this May... Nope, can't think of a reason why they'd get the tapes out.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:14 AM »

wish I could get close enough to smell those tapes.  Tongue
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:06:55 AM »

Hmm.. let me think... the album was released fifty years ago this May... Nope, can't think of a reason why they'd get the tapes out.

Hmm, do I detect just a hint of sarcasm? Wink
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 03:08:37 AM »

I'm kinda wondering what else is there they can present that they havn't already done
before?  We've had mono remastered, stereo remix, vinyl editions, DVD A etc etc
and a wonderful box set to the album.
what more could there be to offer that we don't already got?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 03:29:24 AM »

Hmm, do I detect just a hint of sarcasm? Wink

Sarcasm ? Moi ??

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »

Could he be in there just playing the tapes for a camera crew (50th doc)?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 03:59:21 AM »

I doubt it, I think it is much more likely that he is in the studio with Rocky, just hanging out, and having Rocky re-record the vocals from the album.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 04:24:44 AM »

They're preparing the hitherto unreleased versions of Pet Sounds songs, originally recorded simultaneously to those that appeared on the album, as a follow-up, but rejected by Capitol after the album's poor sales.

Pet Noise
1 Wasn't It Nice
2 Can't Believe You still Believe In Me
3 That Wasn't Me
4 Can't You Just Shut Up For Christ's Sake (Put Your Head Back on my Shoulder)
5 I Waited for the Day
6 We Went Away For A While
7 Sloop John C
8 God Only Knew
9 I Knew There'd Be An Answer
10 There Yesterday
11 I Just Wasn't Made For Those Times
12 Pet Noise
13 Caroline, Perhaps
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:34:41 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 04:39:12 AM »

That made me laugh 13 times.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 04:47:53 AM »

They're preparing the hitherto unreleased versions of the Pet Sounds, originally recorded simultaneously to those that appeared on the album, as a follow-up, but rejected by Capitol after the album's poor sales.

Pet Noise
1 Wasn't It Nice
2 Can't Believe You still Believe In Me
3 That Wasn't Me
4 Can't You Just Shut Up For Christ's Sake (Put Your Head Back on my Shoulder)
5 I Waited for the Day
6 We Went Away For A While
7 Sloop John C
8 God Only Knew
9 I Knew There'd Be An Answer
10 There Yesterday
11 I Just Wasn't Made For Those Times
12 Pet Noise
13 Caroline, Perhaps

Thanks for the laugh!

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 04:50:01 AM »

Oh, yes please! A documentary! Let David Leaf do it and put another photo album to instrumental tracks, but let it go on for an hour instead of 8 minutes.

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:47 AM »

Wasn't David Leaf exiled to the Island of Brian's Former Best Friends?

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:14 AM »

What? What's the story?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 06:52:48 AM »

One thing about BW that I think benefited his music though maybe not his life is that he seems to have retained well into adulthood a childlike enthusiasm for fun new things (friends, philosophies, sounds, 'scenes') that he then sort of gets over and moves on to the next enthusiasm.
Eta: though for some, like 'Be My Baby', he has retained an extreme life-long enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:54:43 AM by Emily » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 07:21:52 AM »

Assuming those are multi-track reels for various songs, then they presumably don't have the tapes out to remaster the album.

I would think it somewhat unlikely they're doing new remixes (I would guess any remixes done for the Blu-Ray Audio disc were done some time back), though that can't be ruled out I suppose. I think we're all ready for "God Only Knows (Richie Cannata Mix").

So I would indeed be guessing they have them out for "demonstration" purposes. A feature-length documentary on the album, with ALL living BBs participating (the four involved anyway), and with Brian going through songs the way they do on those "Classic Albums" documentaries would be awesome. Not a 30-minute featurette, but a full-length documentary.

While the band needs an exhausting multi-hour documentary on the history of the group, a good start would be Brian, Al, Mike, and Bruce all giving interviews for "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" documentaries for this year and next year's anniversaries.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »

It's amusing that the "God Only Knows" tape box is the only one arranged so you can read the title without contorting yourself.

As for bringahorseinhere?'s question ("What more could there be to offer that we don't already got?"), how about reverse stereo?
KDS
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »

I know we got a live Pet Sounds in 2002, but is it unreasonable to expect another live document for this tour?  Maybe one with a full concert, and not just the PS portion?

I mean, Roger Waters has released two different live versions of The Wall (1990, 2012).  So, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Brian to release another, especially since Al is on board this time. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »

In an interview with Mike recently he did say "we are doing a documentary " (or words to that effect). I'm hoping this is related.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »

I know we got a live Pet Sounds in 2002, but is it unreasonable to expect another live document for this tour?  Maybe one with a full concert, and not just the PS portion?

I mean, Roger Waters has released two different live versions of The Wall (1990, 2012).  So, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Brian to release another, especially since Al is on board this time. 

I think an audio document was (e.g. the 2002 live CD) and is not particularly needed, especially if it's *just* the PS album. But a video release of the 2016 tour (a nice HD show on Blu-Ray) seems quite plausible, and would certainly be welcome and the most interesting thing they could do with the album's anniversary (another remaster/repackaging doesn't excite me much), along with the aforementioned idea of a documentary on the album.

A Blu-Ray of the 2016 tour seems especially exciting with Al and Blondie being there, where I would hope they'd give us a full show including the non-PS set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »

In an interview with Mike recently he did say "we are doing a documentary " (or words to that effect). I'm hoping this is related.

Don't know if I saw a different interview, but there was an interview recently where I recall he mentioned a "documentary" in relation to his autobiography, which of course would be a very different sort of doc.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »

Here it is. Same sentence as his book but not related IMO.

Love said a documentary also is planned and Love’s autobiography, “Good Vibrations,” will be released in the fall.

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/life/beach-boys-still-true-to-their-sound/article_52b6302d-4e57-5d29-a9fc-c9c20915b406.html?mode=jqm

Realistically, can you imagine a documentary on Mike being made unless self funded?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:21:18 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:24 AM »

I'm kinda wondering what else is there they can present that they havn't already done
before?  We've had mono remastered, stereo remix, vinyl editions, DVD A etc etc
and a wonderful box set to the album.
what more could there be to offer that we don't already got?

Correct credits and booklet with Mike getting co-writes for all tracks, Carol Kaye on bass every cut, Rocky being in the room when Brian and Tony started tinkering with GOKs, fold out petting zoo with actual preserved doo doo from Feb 66 photo shoot.  Grin
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

My god, The Beach Boys are practically BEGGING for a definitive documentary. Endless Harmony was far too long ago, plus so much has happened since. I think it would hard to sum up in less than three hours though, honestly. Wink LOL (The Landy years alone could last a few hours!)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:03:04 AM by SamMcK » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »

They would need a very good reason to play those tapes.  They've been transferred to the digital domain so I doubt they would use them for audio purposes on a new documentary.

Maybe they are for visuals only?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx