gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:54:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Groups / Artists You're Ashamed to Have Like  (Read 8353 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »

The closest I can come to it was--and maybe here I sneak into undercover-m territory--with Stryper. Around age 11, I read about this Christian metal band in some magazine or other, and soon after saw the video for their hit power ballad, "Honestly." I guess I was still interested in trying to please or gain approval from my (very, very) religious parents or something, so I bought a couple of their albums. Jesus, they were terrible. But hey, I was young and dumb.

Stryper, "Honestly"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Np-FUsYcME

Oh, man. I literally said "Oh, no" out loud when I heard those opening piano notes/chords.
This sounds like a theme song to a taligate wedding.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »

Still not ashamed. Not proud, mind you! But not ashamed. (But seriously, To Hell With the Devil and In God We Trust are utter dogshit. Slippery dogshit.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »

Why would you be ashamed of this beautiful masterpiece of a song?

But yeah, that intro sounds like the background music of any PBS documentary from the '90s. lol..

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »

I still remember when I was a kid, watching Nickelodeon every day, and one day on one of the shows they had New Kids on the Block on, I thought they were really cool at the time, and I'm not gay. 

This may be the actual performance, not sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_BY6ZN0_0E

Still not ashamed, but it doesn't really count because I was never a big fan.  It's amazing how they were so untalented live, though good god...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 10:00:56 PM »

But yeah, that intro sounds like the background music of any PBS documentary from the '90s. lol..

I've always heard the jokes but never heard their music, after listening to that clip I might have to go buy their album, "To Hell with the Devil" LOL  Sounds great in every imaginable way. ..
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »

oh my god, I just remembered.

There was a time and a place where undercover-m used to enjoy Owl City, for similar reasons as stated before...

I was like, a 13-year-old girl at the time, but still... I think I won the thread.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:22 PM »

Ugh... John Mayer. I had a friend who really liked him, so I for some reason fell for it too. I even bought tickets and drove 5 hours to see him.

Waste of money.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »

oh my god, I just remembered.

There was a time and a place where undercover-m used to enjoy Owl City, for similar reasons as stated before...

I was like, a 13-year-old girl at the time, but still... I think I won the thread.

He's from near here, a small city less than an hour from Minneapolis. I'm sure we could introduce you. 😉

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 06:02:47 AM »

I've always heard the jokes but never heard their music, after listening to that clip I might have to go buy their album, "To Hell with the Devil" LOL  Sounds great in every imaginable way. ..

Yeah it's exactly what you'd think...and all in yellow & black. Christian metal bumblebees?

KDS
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »

One thing I'll say about Stryper is that they're very good musicians. 

I think their singer was (and might still be) the lead singer for Boston after Brad Delp passed. 

For the 2012 M3 Festival (an annual festival of bands from the hair band era), most of the musicians from Stryper were joined by Vinny and Carmine Appice to do a tribute to Ronnie James Dio, and it was amazing. 

But yeah, their 80s material is pretty bad. 

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »

It's an interesting question because some of us (myself, Judd, undercover-m) are probably in the age range the question is asking about. I can't imagine I'll be ashamed in the future of anything I'm listening to in the present, but I guess that's the point. None of us really know, and that's what makes the question entertaining. I'll come back in twenty years and let you all know. As for stuff I actually listened to when I was younger, I remember watching a particular Backstreet Boys VHS tape constantly. I'm definitely not ashamed of it, though I think that's the sort of thing the question would normally be looking for. There is one band, though, that is particularly heinous and that I've never told anyone about.

I'm still not ready to talk about it.

I, too, was a Backstreet Boys fanatic when I was a wee lad. That and Hanson. Sad

Look how I've grown, ma. It's funny looking back on all the boy-bands and sh*t from the 90's and realizing how they were a synthetic-cheese knockoff of vocal groups like The Beach Boys. And then thinking of how The Beach Boys' mid-late 80's output quite possibly invented said synthetic-cheese for future generations. (don't crucify me)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »

I went through 3 Doors Down and Linkin Park phases when I was in high school.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »

I'm deeply ashamed that I like an album with this cover as much as I do.

Love Me Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrqO-C5vbA
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:13:48 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
KDS
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 05:18:19 AM »

I went through 3 Doors Down and Linkin Park phases when I was in high school.

Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down came out when I was 19.  The climate of hard rock was very very poor back then, so I really got into the song.  It got overplayed to the point where I couldn't stand it by the end of the summer of 2000, and 3DD only got more mediocre from there. 

So, I almost got into them.  Luckily, the overplaying of the song saved me from having their debut in my collection.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »

I like a few Queen songs. Does that count?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »

I'm deeply ashamed that I like an album with this cover as much as I do.

Love Me Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrqO-C5vbA
My best friend way back when had this album; that cover embodied all that he thought was cool in music and life. All I can do is laugh when I see that now.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »

Gino's cool.  Didn't Robert Palmer do the same kind of record covers?  It was of it's times.  I lost interest in his music after the big hit "Black Cars" in 1985, but from 1973 through 1978 he made a string of great albums with his brother Joe on keys and synths.  I still listen to them some times.  Storm at Sunup was his best album, regardless of what the cover was trying to say.  His target audience was women.  I was living in Baton Rouge when it came out, very popular in the clubs there, and New Orleans.

I saw this thread yesterday, and still can't think of anything I'm ashamed to say I liked.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »

No.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »

No.

Agreed.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »

Cheesy
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »

Well, I'm just going to throw this out there now, also I don't know where else to put this, plus hopefully none of you will make fun of me...

I went through a hardcore Jonas Brothers obsession in like 6th grade. I still have all of their songs on my iPod. I can tell you that their lyrics are more diverse than One Direction's. #noshame

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »

Well, I'm just going to throw this out there now, also I don't know where else to put this, plus hopefully none of you will make fun of me...

I went through a hardcore Jonas Brothers obsession in like 6th grade. I still have all of their songs on my iPod. I can tell you that their lyrics are more diverse than One Direction's. #noshame

Were you a fan of the Naked Brothers Band, too?
Or am I the only person that remembers they were a thing?
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »

^ I remember them, but I never really listened to them or anything. But they were definitely a thing for a while.

I think JB was the only boy band phase I really went through...

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »

Were you a fan of the Naked Brothers Band, too?
Or am I the only person that remembers they were a thing?

Haha jesus you two are making me feel old..
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "ashamed", but I liked the Cutting Crew album Broadcast in '86 and Play Deep by The Outfield in '85.    Smiley
Oh, and also really liked the Naked Eyes album from '83 - synth pop guilty pleasure.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:17:13 AM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx