gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:59:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Groups / Artists You're Ashamed to Have Like  (Read 8354 times)
KDS
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »

I heard an interesting topic on the radio this morning....

What groups or artists did you like when you were younger that you're somewhat ashamed of now?

For me, I got into a band called Godsmack in 2000-2001, even paid to see them live.  Now, when I hear their music, it makes me cringe that I ever liked it. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »

I'm not willing to admit it.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:57 PM »

Oh, I have a few bad ones... I'll wait to see what other people post Tongue

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »

On most of them - Abba, Wham!, The Beach Boys, Alice in Chains, Camper van Beethoven, 10000 Maniacs, The Beastie Boys, The Spice Girls, The Carpenters, Michael Jackson, The Monkees, even The Sex Pistols and a song by Andy Gibb... - I've gone full circle and come around to appreciate again what I loved about them, or in some cases to appreciate something different about them, after a period of falling victim to peer-influenced or self-imposed shame.
One nice thing I noticed around when I hit 40 - embarrassment is a thing of the past - I'm over it.
Oh! And Crystal Gayle  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:06:51 PM by Emily » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:56:04 PM »

I think I'm different from most people in that I'm unashamed of anybody I was ever a big fan of.  If I was into their music, you can bet your ass I'm still into their music.  The closest I can think of would be Garth Brooks, I don't really like Garth anymore but much of his music was really good and I'm not ashamed of it. 

I'm still a fan of Michael Jackson, the Fat boys, The Bangles, The Cranberries, Oasis, Nirvana, etc. any band I ever really enjoyed.  I'm a loyal fan Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »

On most of them - Abba, Wham!, The Beach Boys, Alice in Chains, Camper van Beethoven, 10000 Maniacs, The Beastie Boys, The Spice Girls, The Carpenters, Michael Jackson, The Monkees, even The Sex Pistols and a song by Andy Gibb... - I've gone full circle and come around to appreciate again what I loved about them, or in some cases to appreciate something different about them, after a period of falling victim to peer-influenced or self-imposed shame.
One nice thing I noticed around when I hit 40 - embarrassment is a thing of the past - I'm over it.
Oh! And Crystal Gayle  Smiley

Definitely!  I think the older you get the more you realize if it makes you happy.... it can't be that bad.  (nod to Sheryl Crow, another guilty pleasure)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:33:44 AM »

None. Whatsoever.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 03:00:55 AM »

I'm not ashamed of nuthin'. But sometimes you're more likely to like an artist or a song when you're young, before you know all the music that preceded it that influenced it , while when you're older you may be more inclined to go back to the source and cut out the middleman.

For example, when I was a kid, my favourite album was But Seriously by Phil Collins and my favourite song on it was "I Wish It Would Rain Down". Nowadays I think that song is just a ripoff of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.

Please delete my account
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 05:38:08 AM »

Foreigner
Kansas
Winger
Poison
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 05:45:18 AM »

Embarrassed

Kansas

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 05:48:12 AM »

The question would almost make more sense in reverse, as it seems we're more worried what others think in our younger days. I was more worried what people thought of my taste when I was 14 than I am now, that's for sure.

I'm not ashamed of anything I liked, whether or not still like it. not that I try to be contrarian: I'd rather that everyone else saw what I like and join in. But if not, whatever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 06:02:13 AM »

Foreigner
Kansas
Winger
Poison

Love all four of these bands.  Probably more now than then.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 06:13:18 AM »

God squad bat sh*t crazy sh*t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jey8tLfokbs

bat sh*t crazy sh*t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbMTDLFOjA

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »

If you had to recommend just one Kansas album, Gertie, which one would it be?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »

It's an interesting question because some of us (myself, Judd, undercover-m) are probably in the age range the question is asking about. I can't imagine I'll be ashamed in the future of anything I'm listening to in the present, but I guess that's the point. None of us really know, and that's what makes the question entertaining. I'll come back in twenty years and let you all know. As for stuff I actually listened to when I was younger, I remember watching a particular Backstreet Boys VHS tape constantly. I'm definitely not ashamed of it, though I think that's the sort of thing the question would normally be looking for. There is one band, though, that is particularly heinous and that I've never told anyone about.

I'm still not ready to talk about it.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »

Yeah, there's not enough boy bands on this thread for me to post my list... apparently your guys' guilty pleasure music isn't all that guilty Tongue.

I mean, for starters, I guess Lady Gaga (because most people here are older than I am and probably have a different view of her) and Coldplay (because apparently they're actually hated by music "connoisseurs" which really bothers me because I've seen them live and Chris Martin is so awesome) belong on this list. So in MY opinion, those aren't bad. I have some boy bands and stuff I'm not ready to post about, either...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »

Hey, I listed Wham! which was boy band equivalent during my preteens!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 12:03:39 PM »

Emily, M, and I in the boy band club.

Coldplay (because apparently they're actually hated by music "connoisseurs" which really bothers me because I've seen them live and Chris Martin is so awesome)

Yeah, I have a strong dislike for Coldplay.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »

Yeah, there's not enough boy bands on this thread for me to post my list... apparently your guys' guilty pleasure music isn't all that guilty Tongue.

I mean, for starters, I guess Lady Gaga (because most people here are older than I am and probably have a different view of her) and Coldplay (because apparently they're actually hated by music "connoisseurs" which really bothers me because I've seen them live and Chris Martin is so awesome) belong on this list. So in MY opinion, those aren't bad. I have some boy bands and stuff I'm not ready to post about, either...

My original question doesn't really apply to stuff that you like that's not unpopular or disliked by music fans. 

For example, I'm not ashamed at all at my love of old Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger, Journey, Styx, or Dokken. 

What I was asking about was if there's anything you used to listen to when you were younger, that you go back and listen to now, and ask "What in the world was I thinking?" 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »

My original question doesn't really apply to stuff that you like that's not unpopular or disliked by music fans. 

For example, I'm not ashamed at all at my love of old Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger, Journey, Styx, or Dokken. 

What I was asking about was if there's anything you used to listen to when you were younger, that you go back and listen to now, and ask "What in the world was I thinking?" 
Ah - sorry, I interpreted that wrong. Though my answer would still be similar. There's stuff on my list (Carpenters) that I really liked when I was a little kid; then for a long time I thought they were awful; now I like them again for a different reason - I still think they're awful, but I have a fondness for the awful things I used to like, I guess out of old-people sentimentality.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »

Coldplay (because apparently they're actually hated by music "connoisseurs" which really bothers me because I've seen them live and Chris Martin is so awesome)

Sad... although, maybe I'm no different when it comes to other recent music... as far as I know, people don't like Coldplay because their sound is generic and/or apparently they steal all of their music from U2. But I personally don't care for bands like Imagine Dragons, mostly because....... their sound is generic.

But with KDS's clarification, I can better answer the question... I used to go to a Christian, private school and much of the music my peers listened to was like, you know, contemporary Christian music. Actually, bands like Switchfoot have some good albums, and they seem very open-minded and they don't like being labeled Christian. But I also had a few Skillet songs on my iPod nano (remember those?) and while my friend and I thought it was cool at the time, looking back, those songs were terrrrrible. I mean more recently they put out a song speaking out against same-sex marriage, and that's just a huge no for me. So most of my middle school music is just totally incompatible with the person I am today.

I think the reason I'm ashamed of most of the stuff I listened to in middle school was because it reminds me of 1) the awful people I went to school with, 2) my crazy religious phase that I totally disagree with now, and 3) my overall underexposure to good music. I think I'm just ashamed of middle school ME, but who isn't?

Anyway, that was a lot more long-winded and personal than it needed to be.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:47:02 PM by undercover-m » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »

Sad... although, maybe I'm no different when it comes to other recent music... as far as I know, people don't like Coldplay because their sound is generic and/or apparently they steal all of their music from U2.

Well, to be fair, I dislike U2 even more than I dislike Coldplay.
So they have that going for them, at least.

I think I'm just ashamed of middle school ME, but who isn't?

Yes, I can relate to this sentiment. It's a dark time in people's lives.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 03:06:03 PM »

That was when you went by "bubba Waves" Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:34 PM »

Sorry, KDS, my mistake. I took it to mean ashamed to admit to others.

My answer doesn't really change--no--though the angle does somewhat. Instead of just spitting my distaste for others' opinions, now I'll have to say it more like this: there is plenty of music I liked in my younger days that I either dislike now or at least don't listen to now. But it doesn't bother me to have moved away from it. (I prefer not to say "moved beyond" or something, as if I'm so fucking mature now!) That's just normal, so what's the difference or harm? There was plenty of sh*t in 10-to-15-year-old Luther's cassette collection (my media dates me), but I'm not ashamed of it. He was just a kid.

The closest I can come to it was--and maybe here I sneak into undercover-m territory--with Stryper. Around age 11, I read about this Christian metal band in some magazine or other, and soon after saw the video for their hit power ballad, "Honestly." I guess I was still interested in trying to please or gain approval from my (very, very) religious parents or something, so I bought a couple of their albums. Jesus, they were terrible. But hey, I was young and dumb.

Stryper, "Honestly"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Np-FUsYcME

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »

Woah Captain. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx