gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thats Why God Made The Radio Single?  (Read 3967 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »

I am wondering where you can find TWGMTR Single anywhere? I have been looking everywhere to find it I looked at many record stores ebay iTunes amazon etc. Does anyone know where you can find it! I even looked at youtube  because I would really like to hear the instrumental version of it. I seen a few instrumental versions but I don't believe any of those were the official Beach Boys instrumental single! Anyone know where I can locate to buy this single? Either digital or on CD?? Thanks
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »

Hi Tim. Isn't this the one? Uploaded by our very own mrmoustachioto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDqkwseopc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »

Unfortunately, it appears there was never a physical (CD) nor even digital/download release of the instrumental b-side.

I think one-track promo CDs were manufactured. The "digital single" was just a one-track.

The only way to get the instrumental version was the vinyl 45. Consequently, I haven't heard a particularly great-sounding version of it. The needledrops on YouTube (for which I most definitely thank those who have done that) are the best we can get. I played my 45 copy a few times (the one they sold at Target in a boxed set with a C50 t-shirt); I sense they didn't do super high-quality pressings on those 45s. Both the YouTube clip and my own copy are kind of thin-sounding and noisy for a presumably brand-new pressing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »

Mine is a 45 purchased is a special package at Target..included a T-shirt and the single
in a yellow cardboard box that looked like a radio

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »

Anyone know where I can locate to buy this single? Either digital or on CD?? Thanks
Discogs is always a great place to find whatever release you're looking for.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3844210?ev=rb
KDS
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »

Too bad that didn't make it onto the MIC box. 

At least they included the single version of Isn't It Time.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »

Love that instrumental version! Great Pet Sounds/Friends vibe from 2:30 on.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »

That would have been a great idea! Do that instead of a millionth time of having same ole repeated songs on a CD! They all should have been unreleased material on that box set even if it means the total amount of tracks we would have gotten been less
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:09 AM »

That would have been a great idea! Do that instead of a millionth time of having same ole repeated songs on a CD! They all should have been unreleased material on that box set even if it means the total amount of tracks we would have gotten been less

Well then, that would have been a curio item for collectors only. The intent was to make a career-spanning anthology covering not ONLY the hits, but ALSO some deep cuts and a ton of unreleased stuff along the way. I'd say they met the goal!
KDS
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:12 AM »

Well then, that would have been a curio item for collectors only. The intent was to make a career-spanning anthology covering not ONLY the hits, but ALSO some deep cuts and a ton of unreleased stuff along the way. I'd say they met the goal!

While true, MIC also forced fans to plunk down money on another box set, since the rarities differed from the GV set. 

I'm relatively new to the game, so I was hoping MIC would be a better version of GV.  But I still had to get both. 

And while the packing was cool, the price was quite high, especially considering how little protection the actual discs get in the cardboard sleeves.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »

While true, MIC also forced fans to plunk down money on another box set, since the rarities differed from the GV set. 

You might say it drew a line between hard-core fans who want simply everything and less hard-core fans like myself who are satisfied with the GV box set and are more likely to play the original albums anyway.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »

The MIC set was, and probably still is, the only way to convince both Capitol and the BBs to release a lot of unreleased material from the 70s and 80s.

Ideally, for hardcore fans, the discs worth of singles and albums tracks would been reduced to make way for weird one-off tracks, singles, and b-sides ("Rock and Roll to the Rescue", the '83 version of "California Dreamin'" etc, etc.) But I'd obviously rather have *Previously Unreleased* tracks than obscure b-sides that can still be tracked down without TOO much trouble. And really, as a boxed set that the "masses" might also be buying, kind of second-tier b-sides and instrumental tracks might not be the best presentation. Keep in mind the BBs would presumably not just see MIC as a "dump" of outtakes for hardcore fans, but an elegant career-spanning presentation.

I love the "TWGMTR" backing track and hope we get it in CD quality at some point (a deluxe "TWGMTR" reissue is something I thought they would have milked us for later in 2012, but oh well), but in the context of MIC it makes sense why it didn't make the cut. The set was already rather light on post-1980 material, so I would assume something like "Somewhere Near Japan" or "Still Cruisin'" would have been more likely inclusions had they gone that route.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:37:31 AM »

The MIC set was, and probably still is, the only way to convince both Capitol and the BBs to release a lot of unreleased material from the 70s and 80s.

Ideally, for hardcore fans, the discs worth of singles and albums tracks would been reduced to make way for weird one-off tracks, singles, and b-sides ("Rock and Roll to the Rescue", the '83 version of "California Dreamin'" etc, etc.) But I'd obviously rather have *Previously Unreleased* tracks than obscure b-sides that can still be tracked down without TOO much trouble. And really, as a boxed set that the "masses" might also be buying, kind of second-tier b-sides and instrumental tracks might not be the best presentation. Keep in mind the BBs would presumably not just see MIC as a "dump" of outtakes for hardcore fans, but an elegant career-spanning presentation.

I love the "TWGMTR" backing track and hope we get it in CD quality at some point (a deluxe "TWGMTR" reissue is something I thought they would have milked us for later in 2012, but oh well), but in the context of MIC it makes sense why it didn't make the cut. The set was already rather light on post-1980 material, so I would assume something like "Somewhere Near Japan" or "Still Cruisin'" would have been more likely inclusions had they gone that route.

I think some markets got a deluxe TWGMTR, but it was just the 12 track CD paired with the Doin It Again DVD. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »

I think some markets got a deluxe TWGMTR, but it was just the 12 track CD paired with the Doin It Again DVD.  

There were some alternate packagings. Japan got an extra track, the "Do It Again" remake.

But I thought, especially because they didn't do any "retailer exclusive" bonus tracks at Target or Best Buy for TWGMTR nor offer a second "deluxe" option, that they might later in the year issue a deluxe package with some extra songs and maybe a DVD. I don't know if that was ever considered, or if the demise of the reunion impacted possibilities like that.

They obviously continued on with some C50 releases after the reunion ended, but I would assume those projects (the live CD set, the live Blu-ray/DVD) were contracted prior to the end of C50.

Numerous C50 projects were mentioned that never came to pass. The Hollywood Bowl show was shot in 3D apparently. Red Rocks was shot and mentioned for a possible release.

KDS
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 11:06:55 AM »

There were some alternate packagings. Japan got an extra track, the "Do It Again" remake.

But I thought, especially because they didn't do any "retailer exclusive" bonus tracks at Target or Best Buy for TWGMTR nor offer a second "deluxe" option, that they might later in the year issue a deluxe package with some extra songs and maybe a DVD. I don't know if that was ever considered, or if the demise of the reunion impacted possibilities like that.

They obviously continued on with some C50 releases after the reunion ended, but I would assume those projects (the live CD set, the live Blu-ray/DVD) were contracted prior to the end of C50.

Numerous C50 projects were mentioned that never came to pass. The Hollywood Bowl show was shot in 3D apparently. Red Rocks was shot and mentioned for a possible release.

Back then, I was hoping for a DVD set similar to what Best Buy released for The Rolling Stones in 2002 and 2005, where they issued multiple shows from a tour on a box set. 

I'm hoping that the C50 live products see the light of day, but I don't think it's going to happen as long as there is a Beach Boys band on the road. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »

Unfortunately, it appears there was never a physical (CD) nor even digital/download release of the instrumental b-side.

I think one-track promo CDs were manufactured. The "digital single" was just a one-track.

The only way to get the instrumental version was the vinyl 45. Consequently, I haven't heard a particularly great-sounding version of it. The needledrops on YouTube (for which I most definitely thank those who have done that) are the best we can get. I played my 45 copy a few times (the one they sold at Target in a boxed set with a C50 t-shirt); I sense they didn't do super high-quality pressings on those 45s. Both the YouTube clip and my own copy are kind of thin-sounding and noisy for a presumably brand-new pressing.
I have it, and my copy sounds great!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 11:40:59 AM »

Oh, it sounds fine. It's not like they did faulty pressings or anything. It just would have sounded better on a CD or even on iTunes ironically. 'Twas not an audiophile pressing, which are sometimes a mixed bag too.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »

A: I could probably do a much better job of the needledrop of the TWGMTR instrumental now, or at least Lossless.

B: What I really want is the Isn't It Time Instrumental on the Promo CD. It's never been uploaded anywhere, and sadly the Promo CD goes for more than I'm willing to pay on Discogs.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »

A: I could probably do a much better job of the needledrop of the TWGMTR instrumental now, or at least Lossless.

B: What I really want is the Isn't It Time Instrumental on the Promo CD. It's never been uploaded anywhere, and sadly the Promo CD goes for more than I'm willing to pay on Discogs.

I couldn't find the promo CD on discogs anywhere? whats the title of the promo album? isn't something different to TWGMTR?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »

the single came in a cardboard sleeve.  Simply titled 'Isn't it Time'.
doesn't actually state that it's a promo though.
contains the 'single' mix of 'isn't it time' and the instrumental version.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx