gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:54:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Recommendations/Suggestions Thread  (Read 4927 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »

This is the thread for Recommendations/Suggestions.

You can find recommendations and suggestions here.

Here, I'll make up an example.

"Hey, I like Big Star and Badfinger, and I would like more music in that vein."

"Have you listened to Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub?"

"No."

"Then go do that."

"Okay."

See? Works every time.

Or, hey, maybe you feel like there's a few year-based gaps in your collection. Would you like to fill those gaps? Okay, we can do that, too.

"I don't have very much from 1982 and 1983."

"Have you listened to Kate Bush's The Dreaming, XTC's English Settlement, or Emergency Third Rail Power Trip by The Rain Parade?"

"I haven't, but I'll check them out. Thanks."

Yeah.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:54:51 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »

Haha I do like Big Star, Badfinger, Teenage Fanclub, XTC, and Rain Parade.

Of new music, I like Tame Impala, Woods, Foxygen, Flaming Lips of course - any GREAT bands like these left to be discovered?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:57:28 PM »

Of new music, I like Tame Impala, Woods, Foxygen, Flaming Lips of course - any GREAT bands like these left to be discovered?

Is most of your new music listening made up of psychedelic bands? I'm trying to get an idea of what you like that's current.
There's tons of psych out nowadays, but it's not a genre I listen to much of at the moment.

I have some ideas I can rattle off quickly before I have to head out. Have you heard of Pond? They're sort of like the sister band to Tame Impala. There's also the Scandinavian band Dungen. Animal Collective is another band you may like. Their Merriweather Post Pavilion album was a big favorite of mine for a while. There's also a band called Wooden Shjips. A newish band who's getting attention is Syd Arthur, named for the Barrett and the Kinks album. Lastly (because I'm out of ideas and hafta go) is the slightly obscure White Fence. Maybe check out the album he did with Ty Segall.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »

Yeah, neo-psychedelic groups are definitely easier for me to get into than anything else, or at least those who border psychedelia with folk, or blues, or pop. I like Devendra Banhart, some of Jack White's new stuff is interesting, I like the Fleet Foxes more Beach Boys Go Camping kind of stuff. And I do like Animal Collective. Some of their more strobe-light vocals are a bit difficult for me to get into - mostly just because it's so unyieldingly inhuman haha but I can definitely dig it if I'm in the right mood. Never heard of Pond but they sound promising. I'll have to check out those others as well. Thanks!
Ignatius
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »

For anyone who likes extreme banjo fusion this album is for you. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones- Live Art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXlxUSVwYIE
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:01:13 PM »

Yeah, neo-psychedelic groups are definitely easier for me to get into than anything else, or at least those who border psychedelia with folk, or blues, or pop. I like Devendra Banhart, some of Jack White's new stuff is interesting, I like the Fleet Foxes more Beach Boys Go Camping kind of stuff. And I do like Animal Collective. Some of their more strobe-light vocals are a bit difficult for me to get into - mostly just because it's so unyieldingly inhuman haha but I can definitely dig it if I'm in the right mood. Never heard of Pond but they sound promising. I'll have to check out those others as well. Thanks!

I forgot to mention the one neo-psychedelic band I'm actually an active fan of. That would be Maston. I was immediately hooked when I heard "Young Hearts." He has such fabulous arrangements.
He also does some production work for this other guy named Jacco Gardener that everyone loves except me. Here's his song "Clear the Air."

Okay, I'm done giving you neo-psych bands. Sorry for throwing so much at you at once. There's no pressure; feel free to listen at your own speed.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »

Is most of your new music listening made up of psychedelic bands? I'm trying to get an idea of what you like that's current.
There's tons of psych out nowadays, but it's not a genre I listen to much of at the moment.
I have some ideas I can rattle off quickly before I have to head out. Have you heard of Pond? They're sort of like the sister band to Tame Impala.
Sister band, as in basically a Tame Impala side project Tongue. "Sitting Up On Our Crane" alludes to Dennis Wilson, if that interests anyone.

@yonderhillside: others I would suggest include Real Estate (chill indie music), Temples (somewhat similar to Tame Impala, at least "Move with the Season" is), and Sufjan Stevens (if you're looking for brilliant instrumentation, etc.). A more psychedelic band that I've been digging is Sunbeam Sound Machine.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »

Does anyone have any Recommendations/Suggestions for music from Creation Records and/or Flying Nun?
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »

PS: I'm currently checking out all of the bands previously mentioned. Will listen to most tonight and I'll let ya know what I think. Might take a while haha Wink

Some bands, you may or may not have heard of, that I would recommend are:
Kurt Vile
Thee Oh Sees
The Growlers
Chad VanGaalen
Vashti Bunyan's 2005 album (if we can even consider that new anymore)

Dan Deacon "When I Was Done Dying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJqUvBj4rE

and Christian Bland & The Revelators (Black Angels side project) - "Brian Wilson"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBlHDfjd0zE
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »

PS: I'm currently checking out all of the bands previously mentioned. Will listen to most tonight and I'll let ya know what I think. Might take a while haha Wink

Some bands, you may or may not have heard of, that I would recommend are:
Kurt Vile
Thee Oh Sees
The Growlers
Vashti Bunyan's 2005 album (if we can even consider that new anymore)

I know these bands. I was going to mention Thee Oh Sees, but I forgot.
The Growlers are actually a local local band for me.

I'll give the others a listen.

P.S. I'm totally gonna sneak one last mention in because you said you like Big Star, Teenage Fanclub, and Rain Parade. Listen to EZTV. They released one of my favorite albums from 2015. The songs they have on YouTube/made videos for are good, but my favorite is "Soft Tension."
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »

That's weird because I actually thought they were from Austin haha. (The Growlers) but speaking of local, The Black Angels/Christian Bland are fairly local to me (notwith the size of Texas) and they actually created Austin Psych Fest which is now 'Levitation'.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »

That's weird because I actually thought they were from Austin haha. (The Growlers) but speaking of local, The Black Angels/Christian Bland are fairly local to me (notwith the size of Texas) and they actually created Austin Psych Fest which is now 'Levitation'.
Wait wait wait. That makes so much sense. No wonder Brian Wilson is playing there!
I've very recently gotten into the Black Angels, so it's funny that you mention them on your list.
I see Beach Boys allusions in their work all of the time. This is so awesome that they started that festival. Not gonna lie, it's a pretty great lineup, especially compared to all the other music festivals this year.

I'll have to look more into them. Have you seen their Pet Sounds tour poster?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:48 AM »

Does anyone have any Recommendations/Suggestions for music from Creation Records and/or Flying Nun?

The Boo Radleys were my favourite Creation band.

Please delete my account
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:54 AM »

Hah negative haven't seen that but very nice. And really hoping I can make that festival for Pet Sounds in it's entirety. I saw BW in Dallas last year with Rodriguez. If you guys haven't heard of him you should check him out. His story is insane and there's a nice documentary that captures it.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »

The Boo Radleys were my favourite Creation band.

That's nifty--I own their Giant Steps album but haven't listened yet. I'll do that soon.
Thanks, UR. Smiley
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 04:16:28 PM »

So I haven't been as prolific as I thought but so far I really like Pond's more mellow stuff. Maston is very interesting with the BW/VDP influence but I wish his vocals weren't so buried in reverb, I really like the instrumentation though. And I really dig White Fence too. Still need to try out Syd Arthur and Dungen. Methinks I'll add these to my "Modern Histrionics" playlist.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »

So I was thinking about how you stated, Bubbly Waves, if that is your real name, that neo-psych isn't really what you've been listening to lately. And I digress on my previous remark about how that's about all I can get into these days.. I've been listening to some local radio stations and have been digging the "new sounds" was pontificating how a great majority of newer bands expand upon the greats of the past - as opposed to those who are going in weirder directions like electro-bubblegum and jesus-metal and whathaveyou.. so I ask thee.. what is it that you are listening to? #Let's resurrect the thread #again
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »

That is a fair question, and I shall give you a fair answer: a lot. Actually, 2015 is one of the years is one of the most densely populated in my music collection. Not all the new stuff I listen to is from last year, but there is a great deal of it. It's an important year for me.

I guess I'll just go in alphabetical order.

Courtney Barnett - A plainspoken Australian with deceptively simple lyrics. She can go from writing genuinely affecting songs like "Depreston," which is a song about real estate, to writing songs like "Pedestrian at Best," which comes barreling out of your speakers like a forgotten, minor hit from the 1990's. She also throws in two songs that show off her freaky guitar soloing which is exactly my sort of thing. My knowledge sort of begins and ends with Sometimes..., but her EP collection, A Sea of Split Peas, is also supposed to be good, and based off the songs I've heard from it, I would agree.

Chance the Rapper - He's a rapper (duh) who had a great mixtape in 2013 called Acid Rain. He only releases free music and has turned down major label deals. I won't tell you that I like everything on it--I don't--but I think he's very talented and shows a lot of promise. He's supposed to be releasing something soon this year, so I'm looking forward to that. I don't know if your a fan of rap or not, but this album actually has a purple-ish, psychedelic feel to it in places. Maybe you'd like it.

D'Angelo & the Vanguard - Black Messiah is the album that Prince hasn't made since Purple Rain.

EZTV - I already talked a bit about these guys, but I'm happy to do it again. They're easy to classify as a power pop band, but they also reach out a bit on their debut, Calling Out. "Soft Tension" is a beautiful song that's reminiscent of the Paisley Underground or C-86 scene from the 1980s. "Blue Buzz" sounds like the last song from an album in the 90s. That's not to say that what they do isn't power pop--it is. And there's a lot of it on this album. They also know their way around a hook, if "Pretty Torn Up," "The Light," and "Trampoline" are any indication. It's a very well made album with lots of little unexpected changes throughout. I expect good things from this band.

Flying Lotus - Hip hop weirdo. Lots of electronic instrumentation.

Girl Band - I have a thing for post-punk. This should become apparent. This album gets pretty crazy. The music video for "Paul" is certainly worth a watch.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Weird band. Good band. Weird band. Instrumentally, I think they take cues from Swans (which we'll get to in a bit), and they combine it with some truly bewildering combinations of written narratives and recordings made out in the world or taken from different sources. I think, anyway. They're a bit esoteric, and I'm not going to count on them explaining themselves anytime soon. Nor should they. They're mostly a music-centered band, though, and last year's album was entirely instrumental (other than a faint count-in). Dark and dynamic.

Hiatus Kaiyote - Beautifully weird R&B from Australia. I've been listening to their recent album Choose Your Weapon. The musicians are super talented, and they do some pretty incredible stuff that reminds me of Frank Zappa in their irregularity and precision. Also, the fact they have a song called "Swamp Thing" (and the lyrics within) remind me much of the dearly departed Zappa. Anyway, they're make great funky (in both senses of the word) R&B, if you're into that sort of thing. "Nakamarra" is my jam.

Kendrick Lamar - I'm sure everyone is aware of him by this point. To Pimp a Butterfly blew my hair back, or whatever that expression is. It's an incredibly dense, musical album with some serious examinations of our current society. He also previously made a less complicated album that's focused on telling the story of his growing up in Compton, which is a dangerous, gang-y area. He also just released a new collection of unreleased stuff from 2013 to now. One of the greatest artists going at the moment. If "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" doesn't touch your soul, you may have to come to terms with the fact you're a cold, empty husk.

Joanna Newsom - A very adventurous artist. She writes lyrics filled with riddles and supports them with elaborate arrangements. She also has a voice reminiscent of the higher reaches of Kate Bush's voice. I'm struggling to describe her, I guess. She made an album with music arranged by Van Dyke Parks, if that interests you. It's called Ys. Her album from last year is quite beautiful. All her albums are worth listening to, really. She spends tons of time working on them.

Frank Ocean - Great soul singer and songwriter.

Parquet Courts - Another post-punk band. They remind me of Slanted and Enchanted-era Pavement. Well, at least their first album does. It's the only one I listen to, really. I either haven't liked what I've heard, or haven't heard good things about the music they've made since. Too bad.

Ariel Pink & His Haunted Graffiti - Psychedelic weirdo. I've mostly listened to his Mature Themes album. "Schnitzel Boogie" is the "Hey Jude" of schnitzel.

Protomartyr - Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I love this Detroit band. The singer is a sad, analytical guy in his 40's who's literary and philosophical with the voice of a fog horn, and the band is made up of younger guys in their 20's. It's a beautiful combination. Their Under Color of Official Right album from 2014 is concise and every song on that thing is amazing. While that one's pretty punk-y, their follow up, The Agent Intellect, shows them exploring a bit more and going post-punk with the whole thing. "Why Does It Shake?" is like a glacier of sound. One of the best songs to have been made in a while. Yeah, I'm fawning. They're one of my favorite bands. I saw them live on Thursday, and I'm wearing the shirt I bought from them while I write this.

Sturgill Simpson - A new country artist who gets lots of comparisons to outlaw country artists like Willy Nelson and Waylon Jennings. His recent album, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, is sorta psychedelic. One of the songs contains the lyrics "reptile aliens made of light cut you open and pull out all your pain." Yeah. He also does a pretty fantastic cover of "The Promise," which turns a cheesy 80s song into one filled with tons of emotion.

Vince Staples - Super intelligent and funny guy. I guess people might file him under "conscious rap," but that seems to undermine the potency to me. He's a guy with some really interesting things to say and some really interesting stories to tell. I mean, the guy started gangbanging at the tender age of 13. He's actually pretty good at rapping, and he uses some really different, dark-sounding productions for his song. Summertime '06 is the album I love.

Swans - This is not a band for everyone. They are deep, dark, and brutal. They are "Reactivated and invigorated, NOT [reunited]," they would like you to know. Their two recent works are each over two hours long, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Their music is punishing and unforgiving, and they make no concessions. However, hidden within these moments of black, inky depths are moments of beauty. Fleeting beauty. Beauty that hangs there and then is replaced with loud, repetitive, rhythmic sounds--until the band decides to pull the repetitive rug out from under you and launches more insanity in your direction. Michael Gira says he worked to make their next album coming out in May/June (and I'm paraphrasing here) "the greatest album of all time," and I believe him.

Viet Cong - 'Nother post-punk band.

I hope that answers your question.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »

Haha wow. Great answer. I like Joanna Newsom and some of Ariel Pink. I heard a couple of songs from Swans and can't remember how I felt but that, in itself, may describe how I felt. Though I would definitely be willing to give any group claiming to be writing the greatest album of all time a shot. I tried getting into Godspeed a while back but would perhaps be willing to try again. I'm not too into contemporary punk or rap but I'll be sure to check out the funky folks at Hiatus Kaiyote.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »

I'm not too into contemporary punk or rap but I'll be sure to check out the funky folks at Hiatus Kaiyote.

Well, post-punk certainly has roots in punk music, but it is it's own genre. It started in the late 70s with bands like The Birthday Party (one of Nick Cave's early bands) and Joy Division.
It's sorta like punk but with bigger aspirations: arty and experimental.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »

Parquet Courts - Another post-punk band. They remind me of Slanted and Enchanted-era Pavement. Well, at least their first album does. It's the only one I listen to, really. I either haven't liked what I've heard, or haven't heard good things about the music they've made since. Too bad.
I didn't really listen to punk/pop-punk/modern punk until very recently when my coworker showed me those kinds of bands. It's not my go-to but I'm starting to get into it more Smiley.
But yeah, this band is pretty legit. However... at first I was surprised to see their most recent album, Monastic Living get such low ratings. But it's all instrumental stuff, at least the first half I listened to was. It's not bad, but half of the enjoyment is listening to the tongue-in-cheek lyrics. Definitely listen to their first album at least, Light Up Gold.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:21:40 PM by undercover-m » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »

I didn't really listen to punk/pop-punk/modern punk until very recently when my coworker showed me those kinds of bands. It's not my go-to but I'm starting to get into it more Smiley.
But yeah, this band is pretty legit. However... at first I was surprised to see their most recent album, Monastic Living get such low ratings. But it's all instrumental stuff, at least the first half I listened to was. It's not bad, but half of the enjoyment is listening to the tongue-in-cheek lyrics. Definitely listen to their first album at least, Light Up Gold.

Have you heard any of their new stuff yet? I'm liking it. There's "Berlin Got Blurry" which starts with a Morricone-like guitar riff and follows in the footsteps of stuff like "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and Elvis Costello. There's also "Dust" which is a bit esoteric and long, and it's also a super weird choice for an advance single. It's not bad, though.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »

I like a lot of punk and post-punk, but I particularly like the very early proto-punk bands. Just not really modern-stylings of punk. As far as punk and post-punk, I dig Joy Division, Pere Ubu, Wire, The Buzzcocks, Rocket From The Tombs, Siouxsie and The Banshees, The Raincoats, ya know the artsy-fartsy stuff.. I just didn't really like the way punk evolved, or most genres for that matter, over the decades. I'm a curmudgeon's curmudgeon.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »

Have you heard any of their new stuff yet? I'm liking it. There's "Berlin Got Blurry" which starts with a Morricone-like guitar riff and follows in the footsteps of stuff like "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and Elvis Costello. There's also "Dust" which is a bit esoteric and long, and it's also a super weird choice for an advance single. It's not bad, though.
Damn. "Dust" gets kinda dark. Especially with whatever that thing is in the music video. I like it though.
And I really like the other one, too. I never saw pictures of the band and for some reason I did not expect the lead singer to look like that, lol. Maybe I expected messier hair, you know?

I'm enjoying this right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEwOhbSbeI

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/ifyoulikeblank/

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx