-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Dad's Birthday
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dad's Birthday  (Read 3462 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »

Hi all,

Mom died on 1.23.16.  We are all sad at home.  Death is a part of life.  Yet one never expects death to come.  Dad's birthday is on Saturday, February 27.  I would like to make this one special due to the fact that this is his first birthday without his wife.  What do I do to make is special?  I am thinking about making it a birthday weekend.  How does that sound.  He likes chocolate. Yet doesn't want a huge cake.  How does one chocolate cupcake and one white/vanilla cupcake sound?  Does anyone else have any suggestions?   
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »

Sorry for your loss.

You could offer him tickets for a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds 50th anniversary show, if possible. Can't think of a better way to start healing than to take in all the love that's in the music. And chocolate. Smiley

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »

Hi all,

Mom died on 1.23.16.  We are all sad at home.  Death is a part of life.  Yet one never expects death to come.  Dad's birthday is on Saturday, February 27.  I would like to make this one special due to the fact that this is his first birthday without his wife.  What do I do to make is special?  I am thinking about making it a birthday weekend.  How does that sound.  He likes chocolate. Yet doesn't want a huge cake.  How does one chocolate cupcake and one white/vanilla cupcake sound?  Does anyone else have any suggestions?   

Does he like rich chocolate?  Maybe some fudge, or truffles. 

He shares a birthday with my late maternal grandfather. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »

Sorry to hear about your loss, Mary.

What catlag and KDS said sounds about right to me. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

That you're even giving him the extra consideration and asking for ideas shows that you'll make it special no matter what you decide, MaryUSA. What's special are the real connections between people: the rest is decoration. That said, I think some small, but high-quality chocolates such as KDS mentioned might be a great idea. Or your cupcakes idea would be great, especially if either you can bake or you know of a good bakery to handle them. But really, your consideration for your father in what's sure to be a tough time or him is what's important. And no doubt he'll recognize that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »

Hi all,

Tonight is the wine and appetizer part of Dad's Birthday Weekend!!!  That will start around 5:45 p.m. tonight.  At team trivia one Wednesday someone bought a bag of Lindt mini chocolate eggs for him.  I did buy the vanilla and chocolate cupcakes yesterday.  I know that Dad will also get a dessert tomorrow night at Lampy's.  On Sunday I will cook Spring Vegetable Risotto with Shrimp.  Dad and I put the Happy Birthday Banner up about one hour ago.  I bought some balloons yesterday.  The Living Room looks festive!!! 

Happy Weekend to all!!!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:48 PM »

Mary,
Your Dad is blessed to have a loving, caring daughter such as you are.

All the best,
Elizabeth

Cheesy

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 06:18:06 AM »

Hi all,

Elizabeth,

Thank you for the compliment!!!

All the best,

Mary
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate