gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:10:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album Covers/Artwork  (Read 29005 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »

Zappa was always good for some fantastic covers. This is him, swatting mosquitoes during a particularly skeeter-afflicted gig in the Milan area in July 1982.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »

Oh my gosh, one of my least favorite Zappa covers! We are now officially enemies and at war.  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »

Oh my gosh, one of my least favorite Zappa covers! We are now officially enemies and at war.  Grin

Well I'm sure there are many others we agree on so I'm not too concerned. LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »

Really? It's such a striking image to me.

What do you think of the other Beach Boys album covers (whichever ones you wanna mention)? Do you have a favorite?
Yes, really. I like bright colors. It's too dark & just depicts some chap with horse. Too negative.

Favorites would be Smile (but not Smiley Smile), Pet Sounds, Shut Down vol. 2, All Summer Long, Little Deuce Coupe, Stack-o-Tracks.
Smile is creative & funny in goofy way. 2 shop people sell teeth - top that.
Pet Sounds fits the title. It's got animals there. Would be cool with cats but it's cool the same. I like the whole San Diego photo shoot, some cute pics.
SDV2 is great! They look like garage band with those jackets.
The photo mixture is lifehacking tip for musicians - if nothing else, just take pictures, pick a few & there you have it. They did the same with Party! but somehow it doesn't look as good as ASL.
I like cars, vintage/ current, obviously LDC would be my thing.
S-o-T is jolly good. It's like they work in the library, band based around librarians. & everybody dressed cool.

Not keen on stained glass in general.
Smiley Smile doesn't match the music. The cover is boring.
80s-90s art is meh. Maybe besides SIP (cute dolphin).
I used to like LY but now don't.
Olympic theme is good for the time (1976 was Olympic year, right?) but they/ Dean should've picked better mugs to display in the cover.
Obviously, Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl would show surfing [references]. That said, 1stly, they carelessly used different Safari shot for Surfer Girl. 2ndly, I never been into surf culture. Any surf-related picture isn't my bag by default.
Sunflower & 20/20 feature my favorite Al images - cowboy & Alaska guy. The only good thing, respectively.
Would like to compare these with the views you've got to these albums.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:34:12 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »

Front cover, gatefold, back cover:

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

My particular favorites are Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Smiley Smile, Chap With Horse, and Love You.
SMiLE was probably the best one in terms of trying to capture the feeling of the music. All the Frank Holmes drawings are amazing.
Pet Sounds should've been a photograph of Brian's ego. No, but really it's a good cover. I always feel like I'm there with them when I look at the cover.
Smiley Smile matches the music in a way. It's sort of mysterious music, lost in it's own world. And the cover is a house in it's own world admist the swampy grass and elephants and giraffes and things. I could've done a lot better explaining that but that's my explanation.
Chap With Horse as I said is just striking.
Love You is just such a magical cover. I can't explain it. It's just perfect to me. It perfectly captures the music. There's something weird and off putting about it, like it looks wrong, but it's also warm. Like a rug. It's homely. Just a weird home. Which is Love You kinda.

As for the other albums:
Surfin' Safari is like a lesser version of the Surfer Girl cover.
I always felt the Surfin USA cover was cheap. I'm sure it worked if you were really excited about surfing or whatever but it's a bad album cover. At least for one that had 'Surfin USA' on it.
Surfer Girl was their best surfin' album cover. The classic photo of them with the surfboard (or one of the classic ones).
Little Deuce Coupe is cheap like Surfin USA, only worse because cars are less interesting than surfing.
Shut Down Vol. 2's a great cover.
I like All Summer Long's cover. It's their first arty one if that makes sense.
The Christmas one's nice.
Today! and Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) just capture the excitement of those records for me. That's when their music started getting amazing. I've never thought about how good the covers are individually, and I can't really separate them from the feeling I get seeing them.
Party! works with the music.
I love Wild Honey's cover. It's just great that Brian had it in his house and probably saw it every day. It works with the homely feeling the album has.
Love the Friends cover. One of their best. There's something dreamy about it, like it's floating away, which is how the album sounds to me.
20/20 could've been better. As a cover and as an album.
Again I can't separate the cover from the music, but Sunflower has an amazing album cover. There's something serene about it. And it's nice to see Bruce finally. The whole Sunflower photo session was one of their best collection of photos. Brian with his Good Humor hat.
CATP/ST is like an arty cheap shot. It's a horrible good album cover, but a good bad one. If that makes sense.
Holland has a good cover. Kind of mysterious like the album.
I think the 15 Big Ones album cover is much better than the album for the most part.
M.I.U. might've worked as a cover if the album was better. Same with L.A. (Light Album).
Keepin' The Summer Alive is their saddest. It was just their worst time. Trapped in a twilight zone, living their fantasy while the reality was much darker. Which the cover depicts well.
Beach Boys 85 is cheap.
Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise are dismal.
I don't count Stars and Stripes Vol. 1.
That's Why God Made the Radio could've been better, but it could've been worse. I'm happy it's as good as it is I guess.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »

Here is an album I recently bought. I really love Lonesome Wyatt and this cover is perfect for his style of music.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »

Here is an album I recently bought. I really love Lonesome Wyatt and this cover is perfect for his style of music.

I'd never heard of him before today. His stuff sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the tip!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:23 AM »

CATP/ST is like an arty cheap shot. It's a horrible good album cover, but a good bad one. If that makes sense.
It makes. Now Endless Summer. I read years-back comments about it - people were frightened by its cover saying BBs don't look like them. Does it weird you out too?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »

It makes. Now Endless Summer. I read years-back comments about it - people were frightened by its cover saying BBs don't look like them. Does it weird you out too?

It might've at the time. They don't really fit the image the songs on the album represent, which is kinda exciting. It could've been the obvious picture of them in their glory years all smilng holding a surfboard in a woodie in the parking lot of Fosters Freeze surrounded by cheerleaders. The cover makes them look like hermits from a lost world, which they kinda were anyways.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 03:23:28 AM »

I'm stealing this topic idea from theSuperMetroid02 over on the PetSounds Forum

It was that PSF topic that led me to another site of interesting and sometimes hilarious
album covers that included this one, which as it happens is a great listen (it's on YouTube):

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

Okra is a deplorable vegetable. However, for whatever reason I'm quite a fan of this album cover:

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »

Another acoustic classic

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »

discojedi97
Smiley Smile Newbie

Still Waters Run Deep.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »

Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue. Perfectly captures the grandiosity of the music. (Also spaceships are awesome)

"Disco is music for dancing, and people will always want to dance." - Giorgio Moroder

“In my experience there is no such thing as luck.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »

Growing up my older brother had that record. I always thought it was a frisbee.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »

lol pix  Grin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »

Any cover art designed by the late great Neon Park. See Dixie Chicken or zWaiting for Columbus by Little Feat.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2017, 05:17:59 AM »

Any cover art designed by the late great Neon Park. See Dixie Chicken or zWaiting for Columbus by Little Feat.

Peter, as a major fan, which one Little Feat album would you recommend for a one-album-per-act person?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »

Recently began to be very indifferent about the album cover designs. Wish everybody quit caring about what their albums look like, instead simply went with easy path - single color, without images, painting, photograph etc.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2018, 03:01:31 AM »

Recently began to be very indifferent about the album cover designs. Wish everybody quit caring about what their albums look like, instead simply went with easy path - single color, without images, painting, photograph etc.

I've headed in the opposite direction recently, since checking out a whole lot of 'late 60s, early '70s albums, many of which have fantastically colourful and inventive covers.

In some cases (e.g. Sgt Pepper) the cover is much better than the album.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »

I've headed in the opposite direction recently, since checking out a whole lot of 'late 60s, early '70s albums, many of which have fantastically colourful and inventive covers.

In some cases (e.g. Sgt Pepper) the cover is much better than the album.

Though not my favorite Beatles LP, I would debate you on Pepper.   Regardless, a wonderful, iconic, groundbreaking album cover.

Now "Their Satanic Majesties"...absolutely.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »

Can somebody please post a pic of the album cover that won Dean Torrance a grammy?  Pollution, if I remember right...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2018, 03:51:09 AM »

Can somebody please post a pic of the album cover that won Dean Torrance a grammy?  Pollution, if I remember right...

Here you go:

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »

Thanks, JK!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx