gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:34:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album Covers/Artwork  (Read 29003 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 05:03:28 AM »

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:40:31 AM by KDS » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 05:10:21 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »

(of course I would post this album):

That's the record release version, at least.

Here's the normal version:

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »

Here's a beautiful piece of art from Phil Travers who did many covers for the Moodies. It's more beautiful in person with it's textured cover.

I added the canvas texture in photoshop and tried to color correct this one to match as closely as I could the original album cover from back in the day:

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 03:56:53 PM »

Almost too trippy for me.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »

Love Fleet Foxes. One of the best bands out there today. The Beach Boys are some of the many artists thanked in the liner notes for their first album. Also has a nice anecdote regarding inspiration from"Feel Flows" and the 'Surf's Up' album as well.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:57:21 AM by john k » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »

Love Fleet Foxes. One of the best bands out there today. The Beach Boys are some of the many artists thanked in the liner notes for their first album. Also has a nice anecdote regarding inspiration from"Feel Flows" and the 'Surf's Up' album as well.
I relate to this so much right now. They really are amazing.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 10:22:08 PM »

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »

And this one looks really, really cool in LP size:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 10:32:25 PM »

If you guys are into the artists themselves who do the album covers, check out this guy. He's done Tame Impala, Foals, Splashh, and Youth Lagoon. I want giant posters of his work all over my apartment.
http://leifpodhajsky.com/

(if you look around enough, may be nsfw.....)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:37:21 PM by undercover-m » Logged

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »

Here's a beautiful piece of art from Phil Travers who did many covers for the Moodies. It's more beautiful in person with it's textured cover.

I added the canvas texture in photoshop and tried to color correct this one to match as closely as I could the original album cover from back in the day:

I love this. I remember being a little kid and looking at this album cover, and wondering just what exactly that little trinket is. And then, putting on the LP and hearing "Procession" and being freaked the frick out.
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »

Inspired by Sulamith Wülfing (  http://www.sekaimon.com/us/360/Prints/131609662300/ )

Listen, listen, listen...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 03:05:27 AM »

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 01:39:38 PM »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:42:11 PM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 03:34:24 PM »

Inspired by Sulamith Wülfing (  http://www.sekaimon.com/us/360/Prints/131609662300/ )

Cool! Thanks for pointing out to me the inspiration for that wonderful Moodies cover. No offense to Sulamith Wulfing, but I think the Travers painting tops it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:36:55 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2016, 06:53:23 PM »

It is a lovely Moody Blues' album cover!   "A Question of Balance," also.

I like Roger Dean's Yes artworks, too, and The Beatles' various album covers.
And Cat Stevens' paintings.

And simple ones like Leo Kottke's "Greenhouse"...   "In the sense that my guitars were once plants, this record's a greenhouse." 

Listen, listen, listen...
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 11:21:34 PM »

One of my all time favorite album covers
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »

I'm stealing this topic idea from theSuperMetroid02 over on the PetSounds Forum cause it's a good one (and I couldn't find an existing thread like this here), and I will proceed to plagiarize the question they asked:

What are your favorite, least favorite, funniest, ugliest and most beautiful examples of cover art?

As great as cover art is on it's own, my perception of an album's cover and how great it is really has to do with how it reflects for me the music inside and how it affects the way I listen to the music (probably the same for a lot of people). A lot of people say Pet Sounds has a crappy album cover but it's perfect to me, just like the record, and I wouldn't want it to be anything else. What else it could've been is an interesting question to ponder (if anyone here has their own idea of what that could've been).

Some of my favorite album covers:

When I think of the greatest album cover, this is always the one I immediately think of. It's so great I haven't actually heard the record because I'm scared the music inside won't be as good.

I don't know how many people on here listen to or have listened to The Smiths, but I don't think any other band/artist has ever so perfectly captured their sound with an image like this cover captures The Smiths (to me).

The White Album is (compared to all the other Beatles albums anyways) a dark record for me, there's so much tension in it. And it always unsettled me how the album cover was practically nothing. It makes the music more intense to me. I can't imagine the music having the same effect if the cover had been something like Sgt. Peppers.

As far as bad album covers, this one comes to mind:

Even though Pet Sounds and SMiLE are my favorite covers because of the music inside, probably my favorite cover solely on the cover is Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:23:12 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:36 PM »

Is this topic the same as yours?: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23453.0.html

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2017, 09:14:36 PM »

Well damn, this thread is useless. Thanks for pointing that out haha, I did not see that.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »

You're welcome. Smiley Cool OP. Agree about LBWL & disagree - again - with SU. People marvel at its cover but I don't see the beauty in it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 09:43:46 PM »

You're welcome. Smiley Cool OP. Agree about LBWL & disagree - again - with SU. People marvel at its cover but I don't see the beauty in it.

Really? It's such a striking image to me.

What do you think of the other Beach Boys album covers (whichever ones you wanna mention)? Do you have a favorite?

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »

from my record collection, Art of war the last great album they did. the album that ended all the 'beefs' they had with various rap groups (three 6 mafia, crucial conflict, do or die...) a true masterpiece wuth the inserts and back cover

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx