gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:08:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Question For AGD  (Read 9553 times)
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »

Hi Andrew,
Take a time capsule back to California in the mid-80's if you will.  Can you remember what Smile material you heard all those years ago?  Further, what material that you heard has never been released and has seemed to have disappeared?

Thanks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »

It wasn't in California. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »

I was in California till '85.  Only Smile (related) music I heard was the (at that time) officially released stuff.  It amazes me to recall the many years this music was, by and large, only in my imagination (aided by various journalists/participants descriptions).  I swear, that's when Smile REALLY obsessed me. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:32:36 AM »

Hi AGD,
           I have a quick question for you if you don't mind me hijacking the thread. I want to fire a quick email to Brian's TM for this tour, any idea who I should be contacting? (PM is fine if more appropriate:-) )

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:13:32 AM »

AGD.  - wasn't there a version of . . . I think it was With Me tonight?  With all sorts of weird percussion like in Bag of Tricks or "Intro to Heroes".
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »

I think it's time to give AGD a slot in the Ask the Honored Guests section!  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »

AGD, I get this pain in my calf when I force my boot off with the other foot. Is it a sign?

“We live in divisive times.”
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 08:57:11 AM »

AGD, how are we to resolve the Mike/Brian discord among the fans?
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »

What are the possibilities for lab-grown fish and could this provide a counter to our overexploitation of the oceans?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »

AGD.  - wasn't there a version of . . . I think it was With Me tonight?  With all sorts of weird percussion like in Bag of Tricks or "Intro to Heroes".

Yup.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:37:28 AM »

Yup.
Oh, you're going to answer questions selectively are you? What kind of Q&A is this?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »

Briefs or boxer shorts? Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »

What's your favorite kind of pizza?
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »

When are you releasing your rock and roll album?
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »

Andrew,

Do you remember hearing any vocals that you have not heard since?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »

There was also a version of "Do A Lot" (Mama Says) with sounds of running water and pots and pans clinking together reported by someone who was close to the Beach Boys studio vaults - he was the only one reporting hearing this however.  And didn't he say this was in a box marked "Great Shape" but the box didn't match the tape type?  That would be something if this was the missing Great Shape vocal session!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »

Might as well jump in too.  How do we fix the Vile Vortex? Good Vibes enough?
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »

Is Genesis getting back together?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »

In 1981 I was trading concert tapes and vhs videos with some around the country. One of my contacts called me to plan a trip to come and see him. He said he had something he really wanted me to hear. By the time I got there, he had even more for me to hear.

First tape he played was the one we call the fire tapes. While still reeling from that, he played tape #2. This tape had the talking horns session, surf's up , holidays and the don't talk session. It was so earth shattering. He told me he SWORE that he would not make copies of it for anyone. He also promised to keep the tapes under wraps, but, he made an exception for me.

About a year later, he called again. He had a tape of the 12/66 comp Brian had made. It was again understood no copies were to be made. Still was earth shattering.
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »

I've always had a feeling  that a legendary bootlegger who supplied material to the bootleg label Vigatone has a whole bunch of tapes that have gone missing from Brother Records.  This individual saved a lot of Byrds recordings which were thrown away at CBS Studios by rescuing it from the dumpster.  A good 25 years ago I tried to pry information about Smile from him at a East Coast record convention to little avail. 

I've always wondered what happen to him and his tapes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »

Always wondered what was to have been on the Vigitone Smile box that got stopped by the whho figure before it could be released, and whether their source tapes were returned to Capitol/BRI/yrplace by those authorities? Or are they still sealed in evidence bags in a police warehouse somewhere?

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »

What's your favorite Morrissey album?
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »

There was also a version of "Do A Lot" (Mama Says) with sounds of running water and pots and pans clinking together reported by someone who was close to the Beach Boys studio vaults - he was the only one reporting hearing this however.  And didn't he say this was in a box marked "Great Shape" but the box didn't match the tape type?  That would be something if this was the missing Great Shape vocal session!

Somebody find this tape! Also the Look vocals.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »

What's your favorite Morrissey album?

Come on, Wirestone.  By the time Morrissey went solo, Andrew was using the Hickey Script.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx