gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:42:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies + TV shows that members of The BBs have watched  (Read 6705 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »

Curious what is known about this not-particularly important, yet mildly topic.

- I recall Ed Roach saying that Dennis saw the film ET in the theater.

- Brian has seen the film Seconds and the TV show Flipper.

- Mike, I'm guessing, has seen the film Cocktail.

What else needs to be added to the list? Surely there are many. Have any of the band members watched Back to the Future? Police Academy 6? Diff'rent Strokes? Press Your Luck?

I also wonder if the entire band ever went to the movies together.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:07:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:05:59 PM »

- Brian has seen the film Seconds and the TV show Flipper.

Don't forget about Norbit.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »

Forget the name but the film that Brian saw in the 60's where someone said "good morning Mr. Wilson" and he apparently thought they were talking about him.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Some of the backing band guys have been known to quote from it.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »

Forget the name but the film that Brian saw in the 60's where someone said "good morning Mr. Wilson" and he apparently thought they were talking about him.

I think that was Seconds.  It seems like there was more to the story that was really strange, but I can't remember what it was.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »

Brian - Love & Mercy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 12:32:45 AM »

Brian - Johnny Carson

Please delete my account
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 01:49:52 AM »

I think that was Seconds.  It seems like there was more to the story that was really strange, but I can't remember what it was.

It was John Frankenheimer's Seconds. It is a terrific movie, by the way, strongly recommended to all lovers of good films, not only BW fans. The story was that Brian had an idea (don't know if it was caused by drug use) that Phil Spector was watching him, keeping track of him, speaking to him personally, with that line in the motion picture, sort of a paranoid moment if you will.

Thing is: the movie is about the personal 'rejuvenation' of the lead in the movie, played by Rock Hudson. And people like me, who like to (over)interpret, find that what happens to Hudson is not totally unlike Brian's first major 'healing' by Eugene Landy.

But you may decide for yourself.

Movie review: http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/seconds-john-frankenheimers-forgotten-60s-masterpiece.php

The full movie is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU28jXfTJzc  (very poor quality, enough for a taster anyway, dim the lights etc.).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:16:13 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 02:21:01 AM »

imagine sitting there at the tv set with Brian watching 'Flipper'.
He would probably start doing a harmony with the theme song then
ask you to do a part, before you know it, you'd be at the piano singing
'flipper' in harmony with a boogie woogie arrangement.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:03:18 AM »

At one point during one of the "SMiLE" sessions, Dennis asked if anyone else had seen "I Spy" the night before. I don't think that bit made it to the box set (and I'm sure wouldn't nowadays, given the stigma associated with Bill Cosby), but if memory serves, it was during the tracking date for "Holidays", on which Dennis played drums.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 04:20:03 AM »

Bruce Johnston loves Apocalypse Now. He talked about it in that long interview that can be seen on youtube (the one where he mocks Friends - the album).
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 05:07:12 AM »

They talk about shows on the Today track 'Sessions with Big Daddy'. I dont have it with me, but what shows did they talk about?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KDS
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 05:28:25 AM »

Police Academy 6?

Wow, CD.  That's the one sequel I didn't even like way back when. 

RIP - George Gaynes. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:46 AM »

Police Academy 6?

RIP - George Gaynes. 

Yeah, 6 is a stinker! Only 7 is worse! RIP Gaynes indeed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »

At one point during one of the "SMiLE" sessions, Dennis asked if anyone else had seen "I Spy" the night before. I don't think that bit made it to the box set (and I'm sure wouldn't nowadays, given the stigma associated with Bill Cosby), but if memory serves, it was during the tracking date for "Holidays", on which Dennis played drums.

That is really fascinating. If you happen to figure out what date that might have been, it would be interesting to go to imdb.com and check the airdate of I Spy episodes, because I wonder what reason in particular Denny was taken with an episode enough to mention it...

Side note: I wonder if any I Spy episodes have any hidden, subtle Cosby roofie references, the way it was discovered an episode of The Cosby Show did with the creepy BBQ sauce episode. Ick. Talk about Cos for concern. There's a Get Smart episode which is direct I Spy parody, where Robert Culp even makes a cameo, and he passes out unconscious due to what he's drinking. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:33:33 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 07:02:39 AM »

Police Academy 6?

RIP - George Gaynes. 

Oh my, Part 7 is unwatchable.  Truly horrible movie. 

I was a big Police Academy fan growing up.  But I have to say, as an adult, the only one that still hold up is the original. 

I even used to have a cassette of the soundtrack of Part 4, which happened to have a song called Let's Go to Heaven in My Car on it.  First BB related song I ever owned. 
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 07:30:40 AM »

They probably watched at least one episode of Karen.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:26 AM »

Police Academy 6?

RIP - George Gaynes. 

I was a big Police Academy fan growing up.  But I have to say, as an adult, the only one that still hold up is the original. 

I even used to have a cassette of the soundtrack of Part 4, which happened to have a song called Let's Go to Heaven in My Car on it.  First BB related song I ever owned. 

If only Bobcat Goldthwait could have done a duet with Brian (in Zed character) on Smart Girls.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:41 AM »

Police Academy 6?

RIP - George Gaynes. 

If only Bobcat Goldthwait could have done a duet with Brian (in Zed character) on Smart Girls.

If Sire wanted to push the first ever BW solo single, maybe they should've pushed for a cameo in Police Academy 4.  The possibilities are endless. 

**Would've been better than a snippet on the song heard over a mall loudspeaker in the movie**
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:53 AM »

I think that was Seconds.  It seems like there was more to the story that was really strange, but I can't remember what it was.

It was John Frankenheimer's Seconds. It is a terrific movie, by the way, strongly recommended to all lovers of good films, not only BW fans. The story was that Brian had an idea (don't know if it was caused by drug use) that Phil Spector was watching him, keeping track of him, speaking to him personally, with that line in the motion picture, sort of a paranoid moment if you will.

Thing is: the movie is about the personal 'rejuvenation' of the lead in the movie, played by Rock Hudson. And people like me, who like to (over)interpret, find that what happens to Hudson is not totally unlike Brian's first major 'healing' by Eugene Landy.

Movie review: http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/seconds-john-frankenheimers-forgotten-60s-masterpiece.php

The full movie is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU28jXfTJzc  (very poor quality, enough for a taster anyway, dim the lights etc.).
I'm not sure where, but I've read something with an extended bit about the parallels (beyond the name) that BE saw between his life at that time and the character's. He was into a Subud rebirth thing and saw the movie as very analogous.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »

I have it on good authority that Carl and some of the guys attended a screening of Americathon in Chicago, 1979, and were not particularly impressed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »

Police Academy 6?

RIP - George Gaynes. 

If Sire wanted to push the first ever BW solo single, maybe they should've pushed for a cameo in Police Academy 4.  The possibilities are endless. 

**Would've been better than a snippet on the song heard over a mall loudspeaker in the movie**

That would have been awesome. I can just see it now - Officer Wilson in the mall. 1980s Brian Wilson, Mall Cop  LOL
Love that Brian/Mike/Bruce Disorderlies cameo. I'd be shocked if they ever watched that film though.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

Agreed, it is very good.  The first time I saw it a few years ago, it really creeped me out when they were working on him.  Especially when he was trying to speak.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »

I'm sure at least Brian watched American Bandstand, as in a 1980 interview, he calls Dick Clark one of his heroes.
They probably saw themselves in the movie Girls on the Beach, and probably watched Dennis in Two Lane Blacktop.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »

Brian - Love & Mercy

Don't tell Mike, but given his interest in PS and those studio scenes, I would bet Bruce has too. Wink
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:57:01 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx