gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:38:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Japanese reissue programme.  (Read 7234 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »

Looks like virtually every album from SS to Love You is being reissued in Japan this April on SHM-CD. Some with bonus tracks, some stereo/mono from the bits I've read so far.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/person/132226

That's all.

“We live in divisive times.”
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »

i couldn't find the track listings! Any word on what the bonus tracks will b?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »

Wild Honey is back from the never-never, I see. At this juncture.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »

Unless these are just Japanese pressings of an as-yet otherwise yet-to-be-announced BRI-helmed reissue program (which seems unlikely), I would assume there will be no "new" bonus tracks on these. It even looks like a "bonus" for the CD's is some sort of badge or keychain or something along those lines, based on the limited information in the listings.

The "SHM" phenomenon is all marketing nonsense (and even weirder that they're not doing the equally dubious yet newer "Blu-Spec" pressing format for the CDs).

Really disheartening that the back catalog (and various truncated variations at that) continues to be milked as opposed to more archival releases.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:31:36 PM »

The traklistings on this shm-CD reissue is same as 2000 remaster CDs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:59:59 PM by Sangheon » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:55:56 AM »

All the bonuses are listed as external. Probably best to read the entire listing before jumping to conclusions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »

All the bonuses are listed as external. Probably best to read the entire listing before jumping to conclusions.

I think the "External" bonus refers to the Pet Sounds pin badges that come as a freebie with each purchase. Haven't looked for tracklistings though the PS description mentions 14 bonus tracks… others mention one or two, some none at all.

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 04:35:53 AM »

I think the "External" bonus refers to the Pet Sounds pin badges that come as a freebie with each purchase. Haven't looked for tracklistings though the PS description mentions 14 bonus tracks… others mention one or two, some none at all.
Which at a guess would be "Hang Onto Your Ego" + the original program in stereo.  Or the stereo program in mono, to cater for all.

Would love to be proven wrong, but I think Sangheon is on the right track.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »

I sure hope we could get something that has yet to be released! you never know until its officially announced!  Smokin
KDS
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:28:16 AM »

OK, I'll ask.  I'm a little behind when it comes to technology.

What is a SHM CD? 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

OK, I'll ask.  I'm a little behind when it comes to technology.

What is a SHM CD? 

It's a manufacturing process that *supposed to* somehow result in better audio quality. It stands for "Super High Material" (sufficiently vague!). I think it's all baloney myself. Same thing with "Blu-Spec" CDs, which is just another alternate manufacturing process.

There are negligible areas where the SHM or Blu-Spec process might help, such as less "disc read errors." But I never get errors reading old CDs from 1985, so I don't see that as a problem.

It's all in the actual mastering, and usually (but not always) SHM and Blu-Spec CDs from Japan use someone else's mastering.

I have a few SHM and Blu-Spec CDs, but those were cases where those types of pressings were the only pressings available. It certainly doesn't *hurt* anything as far as I know.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »

So, basically, SHM CD is another attempt to entice people to pay more money for, essentially, the same product. 

See Also....

Gold CDs
SACD
DualDisc
DVD-A

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »

So, basically, SHM CD is another attempt to entice people to pay more money for, essentially, the same product. 

See Also....

Gold CDs
SACD
DualDisc
DVD-A

Well, all of the formats are a way to try to get people to buy stuff again, that's for sure.

But I'd say only "Gold CDs" fall under the same sort of category as SHM and Blu-Spec, in that all three are standard CDs that are just manufactured in slightly unique ways.

Ironically, several regular makers of "Gold CDs" were/are audiophile labels that did take extra care in the mastering process. Many gold cds (especially from DCC, Audio Fidelity, and MFSL) do sound better than "standard" counterparts, but when they do, it's not actually because the disc is manufactured with gold.

SACD and DVD-A are both higher resolution formats (SACD discs often have a "CD" layer as well), so they are technically a different format than CD and can offer better sound quality.

"DualDisc" was (or is, if they're still being made anywhere) a format that was basically a DVD and CD glued together. The DVD side would sometimes offer the album in slightly higher resolution than the CD side, but was often used mainly to package video material alongside a CD. I recall a problem with these discs was that some players had trouble reading them, because by gluing a DVD to the back of the CD, it wasn't conforming to the technical "Compact Disc" specs (and thus, again if I'm recalling correctly, "DualDisc" releases typically didn't actually sport the "Compact Disc" logo on them).

Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »

I sure hope we could get something that has yet to be released! you never know until its officially announced!  Smokin

Here is Wild Honey shm-cd reissue's tracklisting.(universal japan's web site.japanese only)
The bonus track is their hearts were full of spring time only.
I guess 2000 remaster's master were used for this shm reissues.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »

Here is Wild Honey shm-cd reissue's tracklisting.(universal japan's web site.japanese only)

Was this version never released before? I Don't think Their Hearts was ever a bonus track on the cd reissues before!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 08:16:12 AM »

Was this version never released before? I Don't think Their Hearts was ever a bonus track on the cd reissues before!

Yeah it was. On Smiley Smile/Wild Honey.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »

man I must of accidently deleted mine I uploaded on iTunes! What version was it? this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2U6dmPT_uU
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »

man I must of accidently deleted mine I uploaded on iTunes! What version was it? this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2U6dmPT_uU
The version from the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer is a live rehearsal from Hawaii in 1967. It was also released on Hawthorne, CA in case you have that compilation. And I don't think that's actually the Beach Boys in that YouTube video.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »

The version from the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer is a live rehearsal from Hawaii in 1967. It was also released on Hawthorne, CA in case you have that compilation. And I don't think that's actually the Beach Boys in that YouTube video.
f
Thanks! For what ever reson I was thinking it was a studio recorded version! Did they ever do a studio version or is this as close at they ever got to one?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 10:44:01 PM »

Bellagio 10452 - albums

... and yes, I know it needs updating. Real life has an unfortunate habit of intruding.  Grin

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 11:18:07 PM »

Bellagio 10452 - albums

... and yes, I know it needs updating. Real life has an unfortunate habit of intruding.  Grin

I can relate to that!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 11:46:35 PM »

See Also....

Gold CDs
SACD
DualDisc
DVD-A

Isn't DVD-Audio actually a superior format, with a mix? I got my Pet Sounds DVD-Audio autographed by Brian at a GIOMH signing years back. Since then, I've always wondered how many autographed copies of Pet Sounds on the little-known DVD-Audio format exist on this planet.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 01:03:35 AM »

At least two.  Smiley

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 01:25:18 AM »

At least two.  Smiley

Well, that answers that Smiley Doubtful that there exists a release of Pet Sounds on some other unusual, short-lived format that hasn't had at least one copy autographed by Brian, though I do wonder...
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 01:27:07 AM »

I have my Pet Sounds box set signed by Brian, I wonder how many others have that!  yeah!  Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx