gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680811 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:53:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poops/Hubba Hubba reconstruction  (Read 4034 times)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »

From AGD's Bellagio site :

"Poops/Hubba Hubba
recorded spring 1971-1972
produced by Dennis Wilson & Darryl Dragon
It's a New Day - Behold the Night - Ecology - Baby Baby - Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again - Old Movie - Slow Song - Make It Good - Barbara
(track sequence not known)

Despite his lack of material on Surf's Up (reportedly due to a falling out with Carl over sequencing), it's undeniable that in the early seventies, Dennis was the major creative force of The Beach Boys, and equally hardly surprising that he gave serious thought to forging a solo career, to which end he worked intensively in Brian's home studio with the pre-Captain & Tennille Darryl Dragon and band engineer Steve Desper. The results of theses sessions were a precursor to his only released solo album five years hence, richly textured soundscapes imbued with considerable passion. Although the sessions continued into early 1972, the fate of the album was effectively sealed when he offered "Make It Good" and "Old Movie" (a Surf's Up outtake reworked as "Cuddle Up"... and also as "4th of July": apparently "Old Movie" was a catch-all title used by Dennis back then) to round out Carl And The Passions - So Tough - where they naturally stuck out like a pair of sore thumbs ! (A demo of "Barbara" was released in 1998 on Endless Harmony). Some further points - the title(s) of the album were tentative, the Beach Boys reportedly played "Baby, Baby" during their 1972 fall tour, "It's A New Day", a collaboration with Stanley Shapiro, was recorded (at Sunset, with a Blondie Chaplin lead) for possible use in a hair grooming product promo, upon which The Beach Boys expressed an interest in cutting it. However their version was never completed, foundering in a legal morass.  "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again", another magnificent Wilson/Shapiro opus, was another Surf's Up outtake (and ws slated to be included on the proposed DVD-A of the album). One final interesting observation from Steve Desper: not only does he contend that "90% of [the album] was 90% done", but that a lot of Pacific Ocean Blue had its origin in these sessions. Hmmmmmm…"

This for me is still one of the few still unreleased ''holy grails'' of The Beach Boy's recording history. Dennis was really stretching forward from 1969 on, and that first unreleased solo album could have found critical (if not popular) acclaim. Think of this marketed as a Nick Drake/Scott Walker/Bill Fay kind of album (singer-songwriter w/ orchestra backing). It could have been one of the greats from the 70s. But they are still unreleased sessions, so 'until then we don't have a clear picture of what the album could have been (except those 2 tracks on Carl & The Passions).

So I tried to come up with an alternative album featuring what is available officially and/or via boots. I followed the vibe/mood of Pacific Ocean Blue"s tracklisting to make it seem like a complete album. I even kept the hilarious original title! Wink
(PM for the whole deal!)

https://youtu.be/YzmJG_mt7r4

Side A

01 It's a New Day - Would have been a great opener and the female vocals recall what will later be River Song. We only have the Blondie Chaplin version though (still, great vocal!).

02 Baby Baby - replaced by California Slide - This was to be an oldies-like rocker in the vein of ''What's Wrong''. The Beach Boys played it once (I think) during their 1972 tour. For replacement, I used California Slide (Im' Goin' Your Way) 'cause it's just a good rocker from that period. It could be replace by ''Sea Cruise'' but we've only got the 15 Big Ones recording and Dennis' voice had changed a lot then. Love that guitar/drum outro. Very Neil Young-like.

03 Behold the Night - replaced by Lady - My theory the original "Behold the Night" became ''Moonshine'' for POB. Thus, a ballad is required here. I used the alternate mix from Summer Love Songs.

04 Slow Song - (Iv'e Got A Friend) - Followed by another ''Slow Song'', which could have been ''Iv'e Got a Friend'' (or not). Recorded Live at Circus Krone, Munich, Germany / May 9, 1972. There is a backing track out there, but this crude live recording is all we have for the moment.

05 Ecology (excerpts) - Thanks to uploader Youtube uploader videojpp for his mix of the different sections. Great way to close Side 1 with this epic instrumental.

Side B

06 Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again - from MIC. Kicks off side 2 with force, much like ''Time'' did on POB.

07 Sound Of Free - not on original tracklist but could have fit - has the same pop quality as did ''You and I'' had following ''Time'' on POB.
From MIC in fake stereo.

08 Barbara - First of what id' like to call the ''Old Movie'' trilogy - each song seem to be similar thematically and musically.
From Endless Harmony demo.

09 Make It Good - From Carl & The Passions

10 Old Movie (Cuddle Up) - The alternate 45 mix w/ added strings and choir.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »

Point of order: every fan version of "Ecology" I've ever heard isn't much like the real thing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
BriansBack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »

Point of order: every fan version of "Ecology" I've ever heard isn't much like the real thing.

Care to elaborate on your impressions of the full version? Would love to get a grasp on what he was reaching for with this piece....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »

The version of "Ecology" used in the reconstruction noted in this topic is possibly the very worst representation of it I've ever heard. The greater part of it, notably the whole second half, isn't "Ecology" at all.

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »

I believe that, instead of asking to elaborate on what it was not, Mr. Doe, he was asking to elaborate on what, indeed, it was.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:50:16 AM »

Bearing in mind I heard it some thirteen years ago, I recall it containing "All Of My Love" at the very beginning, possibly the beginning, and a piano riff that evolved into "River Song". I don't recall the organ tracks (much less ham-fistedly overlaid with "River Song") and I certainty don't recall the so-called "Quad Symphony" being any part of it as SWD had explained to me in 1985 that it was cut purely to demonstrate the Brother version of quad at audio seminars. The other sections I don't recall hearing since.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:51:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »

I always wondered about that "Poops" title though...why on earth would someone tyhink to call an album Poops, what with all the immature fans (such as myself) around to make great use of that title?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:21:49 AM »

AGD, thanks for you input on Ecology. As I mentioned in the first post, this is just an fan mix with what's available and not what could have come out in 1972. Enjoy with headphones on!  Cool Guy
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx