-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Grammy Awards
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Grammy Awards  (Read 4654 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »

Hi all,

The Grammy Awards will be on CBS from 8 - 11:30 tonight.  I hope that everyone watches them. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »

MaryUSA, may I ask, why do you hope everyone watches the Grammys?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:14:37 AM »

I'll watch the Bowie, Lemmy, and Glenn Frey tributes when they're posted online. 

But, other than that, I ignore the Grammys. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:01:25 AM »

Congrats to the winners. That said...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/16/taylor-swift-best-album-adele-grammy-awards-2016

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:37:42 AM »

From that article, it looks like I didn't miss anything. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:00:49 AM »

Watching the whole show now, a bit out of curiosity but mostly for Kendrick.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:14:02 AM »

I was glad to see that Ghost won their first Grammy for best hard rock / metal performance for their single "Cirice."   

But, unfortunately, that category hasn't been part of the telecast in years. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:26:14 AM »

Demi Lovato oversang, The Weeknd whined, the contemporary country stuff bored and The Eagles were no better either, though I'm no fan in the first place.

It's all so uniformly mediocre and uninteresting. It needs Kanye or somebody to do something real.

Maybe the second half will be better.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »

Demi Lovato oversang, The Weeknd whined, the contemporary country stuff bored and The Eagles were no better either, though I'm no fan in the first place.

It's all so uniformly mediocre and uninteresting. It needs Kanye or somebody to do something real.

Maybe the second half will be better.

"Uniformly mediocre and uninteresting" - That pretty much sums up the climate of mainstream music in 2016. 

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:42:11 AM »

OK, Kendrick's performance KILLED. Mesmerizing stuff. THE artist of the moment, making hip-hop history.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:49:48 AM »

Stevie Wonder and YouTube stars Pentatonix's tribute to Maurice White was pretty entertaining for what it was.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

I enjoyed the tributes to BB King and Lionel Richie respectively.  I thought Lady Gaga's Bowie tribute was absolutely terrible.  She's very talented but she was completely out of her range, trying to attempt bits of different Bowie hits as a medley (which was a clunky idea to begin with).

KDS
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 06:25:20 AM »

I enjoyed the tributes to BB King and Lionel Richie respectively.  I thought Lady Gaga's Bowie tribute was absolutely terrible.  She's very talented but she was completely out of her range, trying to attempt bits of different Bowie hits as a medley (which was a clunky idea to begin with).

If the Grammys had a clue, they might have found somebody a little more fitting for a Bowie tribute. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »

If the Grammys had a clue, they might have found somebody a little more fitting for a Bowie tribute. 

They should have gotten Michael C. Hall and the cast of Lazarus, Bowie's musical.

KDS
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:17:27 AM »

They should have gotten Michael C. Hall and the cast of Lazarus, Bowie's musical.

That would've made a lot more sense.

Seeing Gaga's tribute to Bowie makes me so glad that the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert occurred in 1992, and not 2016.  Imagine the mess it would be had they done it today. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: