gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:05:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From what album on  (Read 2209 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2006, 10:02:38 AM »

From what album on did the guys start not playing on the records, Seems 2 be bugging me for a while

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »

It's not a clear cut thing by any means. Pet Sounds is really the only BB's LP that has virtually no BB's instrumentation on it. Only "That's Not Me" does...which has Brian, Carl and Dennis I believe...the rest is outside people. Other than that LP nearly every BB's LP has a significant instrumental contribution from the guys. The first few LP's is 90 - 100 percent them. The next three are probably 60 - 70 percent them, maybe more. BB's Today is about 40 pecent them. Summer Days is about 30 percent them. With Smile they get back into the studio again as musicians...especially Brian and Carl...plus Al and Dennis contribute too. Smiley Smile and Wild Honey is again 80 percent BB's or more. With Friends and later it drops again to 50 percent, sometime more, sometimes less. But they play regularly on the LP's throughout the late sixties and seventies depending on the track. This is a general guide...but it underlines that the often regurgitated myth saying, "The 'Wrecking Crew' played all the instruments after the first couple LP's" is total crap. The studio guys contributed mightily, as did six musicians named Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, Bruce and David.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »

From the Nascar album on, I guess.

Pet Sounds certainly was the low point.  I always have thought that it was kind of a special display of either loyalty, or thanks, or maybe even pity that Brian allowed That's Not Me to be a self-contained group effort (I believe everybody ended up on it in some form, Al too).  The song turned out better for it, too.  Pet Sounds would have been a fascinating record had the Beach Boys done it all themselves, but that's neither here nor there.

So yeah, the Beach Boys never truly stopped playing on their LPs.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »

I like Jon's answer better...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »

Thanks for the commentary.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:14:40 AM »

You are more than welcome!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »

"That's Not Me" is one of the stand out tracks on Pet Sounds for me. Mainly because the instrumentation is kept much simpler than the other songs. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb or anything but it's nice to know that they all played together for that one song.

I've grown rusty in my BBoys knowledge so let me ask, who played on "Little Bird"?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:22:27 AM »

It's not a clear cut thing by any means. Pet Sounds is really the only BB's LP that has virtually no BB's instrumentation on it. Only "That's Not Me" does...which has Brian, Carl and Dennis I believe...the rest is outside people.

I believe Brian played Piano on "Pet Sounds", the track....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

From what album on did the guys start not playing on the records, Seems 2 be bugging me for a while

Taken literally, the first documented album track with no BB instrumental involvement was that for "Why Do Fools Fall In Love", 1/7/64. Doubtless there were non-BB musicians on earlier cuts (tracks with string overdubs excluded, natch) - for example, a certain bass player of our accquaintance claims to have played guitar on "Surfin' USA", despite the AFM sheet naming just the five Boys (including, curiously, Mike).  On New Year's Day 1964, the "Fun x 3/WOTS" tracks session names Hal Blaine, Steve Douglas, Ray Pohlman & Jay Migliori alongside the band.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 12:30:26 PM »

Brian played piano/keyboards on most of the tracks on Today and Summer Days, and Carl played guitar on quite a few.  But besides that, BB instrumental input was small on those two albums - I'm So Young on Today, and Then I Kissed Her on Summer Days.  Oh, and probably Girl Don't Tell Me as well?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »

On Today:

When I Grow Up
Dance thrice
I'm So Young
She Knows Me

Feature the full Beach Boys instrumental compliment.  Good to My Baby has Carl on it, DHMLS has Carl and Al.

On SDSN, the only fully self-contained song featuring the whole lineup seems to be You're So Good to me, but Girl from NYC, Amusement parks, Then I kissed her, and Girl don't tell me all have at least a couple Beach Boys on the track.

Carl plays guitar on every track on both albums except Please Let Me Wonder, Kiss me Baby, and probably Help Me, Rhonda...plus Summer Means New llove.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:15:31 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx