gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:30:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Brian TV interview - Cleveland: Oct 1991  (Read 1115 times)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2016, 06:14:59 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3a8aZvt73Q

Quite a sad interview, but its interesting to see just where Brian was at this time in his life. He certainly doesn't mince his words. Sweet Insanity was due to be out, and Landy was almost completely out of his life thank god. Interestingly, Brian says that his wish for the next 10 years would be to live(!)

As someone who only became a Beach Boys fan in the late 00's, how did fans react to Brian's situation in the early 90s? Was there a huge concern that he wouldn't be able to 'come back'? (For a lack of a better phrase)
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23393.0.html

Yeah Brian has a way of making you feel kinda melancholy. The interviewers are very empathetic here. 

Interestingly, Brian says that his wish for the next 10 years would be to live(!)
Says a lot about how he was doing at the time.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23393.0.html

Yeah Brian has a way of making you feel kinda melancholy. The interviewers are very empathetic here. 

Interestingly, Brian says that his wish for the next 10 years would be to live(!)
Says a lot about how he was doing at the time.

Oops, don't know how I missed that thread Embarrassed
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »

I was living in Cleveland at the time, and I was completely unaware of this interview. Of course, we didn't have the internet back then to alert us. AM Cleveland was one of those 'housewife' 8 - 10AM weekday chat shows. Met Fred Griffith a few times - his wife used to buy coffee beans from me on Saturday mornings. If I knew about it, I woulda peppered him with questions about Brian. Bri' was probably on a book tour at the time. Interesting how these things leak out over the course of many years.

Fascinating interview.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx