gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:09:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Medley 1981 single  (Read 13798 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »

Does anyone know what the song Beach Boys Medley is on this album? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Dream I notice its almost two minutes longer then the official version released as a single! Is that not  an official Beach Boys album???

Also was this released as a single with out the permission of the Beach Boys? it sure did good if it wasn't.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »

I was looking at some old Billboard magazines today, and saw the Medley listed on the AC chart. Carl's "Heaven" was on there, too. The Medley was all over radio in the summer of '81, and I thought it was really cool how they edited all those snippets together, but now I find it annoying when I hear it.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:52:40 AM »

Does anyone know what the song Beach Boys Medley is on this album? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Dream I notice its almost two minutes longer then the official version released as a single! Is that not  an official Beach Boys album???

Also was this released as a single with out the permission of the Beach Boys? it sure did good if it wasn't.

The 6:44 time appears to be a Typo, the version on this album is the 4:05 version.   There is a Japanese 12" , that has different versions.   There's also a UK CD single, done as a promo, that has a different version as well.   And in the UK, I think they took some of the Japanese Versions from this 12" I mention, and added them as bonus tracks to the CD singles.  I think it was done for the STILL CRUISIN' UK CD single, and one or two others.  In the USA a few years ago, I believe there was also a CD single where it was included.  I'll see if I can find some scans.

Dogbone
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:53:41 AM by Dogbone51 » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:55:23 AM »

I was looking at some old Billboard magazines today, and saw the Medley listed on the AC chart. Carl's "Heaven" was on there, too. The Medley was all over radio in the summer of '81, and I thought it was really cool how they edited all those snippets together, but now I find it annoying when I hear it.
Fascinating.  I was by coincidence today reading the August 1981 BBFUN (kindly donated to me by our very generous board member Metal Flake Paint  Love) which said the following: "They (Capitol Records) have also released a "Beach Boys Medley" consisting of parts of original recordings.  This is doing very well on the pop charts.  Carl Wilson's single Heaven has been getting good airplay.  He and Myrna Smith have already laid down a couple of tracks for a second album."

I also recall thinking the medley just brilliant back in the day (I was ten), but it's kinda clunky now (unsuprisingly of course).  The best thing about the 45 rpm is a pretty good pressing of GOK on the b-side.

The Beach - sorry, I used to have Sunshine Dream, but parted with it once I understood what a compilation album was and sought out the original albums.  For the life of me, I do not recall Medley appearing on that album, but that was so long ago.

I have heard a 12 inch version from a Fronch release that wasn't 6 minutes, but definitely a bit longer than the "radio edit" 45.  It had a the second verse of Shut Down, that kind of stuff, I don't recall if it had any songs additional to those on the radio edit.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »

Here is what I think of when anyone brings up the Medley--the 1981 version of the group lip synching to it on the Merv Griffin show in what may have been their all-time worst tv "performance." Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3PdP7ikQZM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:08:23 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09:44 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rarities_(The_Beach_Boys_album)

I noticed on this Beach Boys Album it looks like there are three Medley versions and one is 6:51 is that the one that might be on the album mentioned above? Also the Ballad version is that the UK Version? The Ballad version has a whole different set of songs?

Anyone know where these there medley versions came from? the last one is obviously the US single but what about the other 2?

EDIT: Fixed link
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:52:40 AM by The_Beach » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »

"The Beach Boys Medley" was on the 1982 vinyl release of Sunshine Dream.  The length was, ironically, 4:09.  Here's the track listing:

Lee
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »

"The Beach Boys Medley" was on the 1982 vinyl release of Sunshine Dream.  The length was, ironically, 4:09.  Here's the track listing:

Lee

Haha that's to funny having the length 4:09.  Then that must b!e a typo on Wikipedia!

Does anyone know what the other two versions are from on that Beach Boys rarities album?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rarities_(The_Beach_Boys_album)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:53:03 AM by The_Beach » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »

The length was, ironically, 4:09.
Giddy-UP!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 06:36:30 PM »

Back in the late 90's I corresponded with a guy named Chuck Kirkpatrick who had a pretty successful career as a recording engineer, session musician, and member of the band "Firefall" (You Are the Woman, Just Remember I Love You). He worked as a recording engineer between 1967-1972, 1979-1982. Engineered for Eric Clapton, America, Delaney & Bonnie, Aretha Franklin, Allman Brothers. Was a session singer and guitarist for Eddie Money, Bee Gees, Peter Frampton,  and Brian Wilson.

He had a record deal with Capitol in the late 70's, releasing an album called "Crane". He was a big Beach Boys fan and recorded his own medley in the early 80's that got a lot of airplay in south Florida. I recall him saying that he approached Capitol about releasing it as a single, they turned him down, and then shortly thereafter they released their own BBs medley instead.

This thread reminded me of Chuck so I did a quick search and found this.... his BB medley! Quite impressive!

http://ourstage.com/media_items/PZEJEECGTSYW-the-beach-boys-medley

Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »

"The Beach Boys Medley" was on the 1982 vinyl release of Sunshine Dream.  The length was, ironically, 4:09.  Here's the track listing:

Lee

I always laugh and wish I knew how "How She Boogalooed It" made this release!!  I'm sure there was something else that could've worked better!!

The Powers that Be (or Been)  (sigh!)

Dogbone
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »

Here is what I think of when anyone brings up the Medley--the 1981 version of the group lip synching to it on the Merv Griffin show in what may have been their all-time worst tv "performance." Brutal.

and this one's pretty bad from the Dick Clark Special.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbX3rKMHYy4

Funny thing on BOTH....Dennis on drums.  He and Brian were BOTH in rough shape during these times (albeit Brian was on the mend a bit, before Dr. Landy was brought in the 2nd time).

I just don't get how Dennis would've agreed to showcase this Medley.   And I remember seeing BOTH clips back when they were aired.  

Scary then, and even more scary now!! LOL!!

Dogbone
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:37:52 PM by Dogbone51 » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »

Had Sunshine Dream on cassette. I absolutely loved that album!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:14:28 PM »

Funny thing on BOTH....Dennis on drums.  He and Brian were BOTH in rough shape during these times (albeit Brian was on the mend a bit, before Dr. Landy was brought in the 2nd time).

I just don't get how Dennis would've agreed to showcase this Medley.   And I remember seeing BOTH clips back when they were aired.  

Dogbone

Dogbone my friend!  Long time no see around these parts!   Smiley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 11:33:32 PM »

Fascinating.  I was by coincidence today reading the August 1981 BBFUN (kindly donated to me by our very generous board member Metal Flake Paint  Love) which said the following: "They (Capitol Records) have also released a "Beach Boys Medley" consisting of parts of original recordings.  This is doing very well on the pop charts.  Carl Wilson's single Heaven has been getting good airplay.  He and Myrna Smith have already laid down a couple of tracks for a second album."

I also recall thinking the medley just brilliant back in the day (I was ten), but it's kinda clunky now (unsuprisingly of course).  The best thing about the 45 rpm is a pretty good pressing of GOK on the b-side.

The Beach Boys Medley definitely sounds better than the Beatles Movie Medley that Capitol put together in 1982. In the middle of a bunch 4/4 songs, they threw in You've Got to Hide Your Love Away in 3/4. There was also The Elvis Medley later that year, and Medley USA by CCR - what a strange fad that was. And ever stranger seeing the BB's on American Bandstand lip-synching to their medley!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 04:30:47 AM »

Lee

While there are a few head-scratching additions on this album, at least it was a break from the usual compilation track lists! Vegetables really should feature more often on beach boys comps...
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:57 AM »

Lee

While there are a few head-scratching additions on this album, at least it was a break from the usual compilation track lists! Vegetables really should feature more often on beach boys comps...

Who even put this album out! it wasn't the usual by the sounds of it. Wikipedia said that this isn't an official beach boys album! who knows with Wiki. There not right all the time.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 06:40:51 AM »

When Endless Summer and Spirit of America were released, the Capitol albums Pet Sounds through 20/20 were under license to Warner Brothers, who had cleverly added them to the Beach Boys' new record deal in order to ensure that they had rights to all of the Smile-era material.  So Capitol didn't have the right to put tracks like "Good Vibrations," "God Only Knows," etc. on those compilations.  When the Beach Boys' resurgence happened in 1974, and realizing that Brian had no intention of letting Warner Brothers release Smile (even though it was mandated in the WB contract), Warner/Reprise issued its own Friends / Smiley Smile and Wild Honey / 20/20 two-fers, as well as Good Vibrations - Best of The Beach Boys, in order to try and recoup some of their investment.  I don't have the contract details at my fingertips, but I'm assuming that the WB deal was for 10 years (1970-1979), so when the rights to the late '60s albums reverted back to Capitol they were able to release Sunshine Dream and Beach Boys Rarities featuring tracks from that era.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:45:19 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 07:13:45 AM »

Who even put this album out! it wasn't the usual by the sounds of it. Wikipedia said that this isn't an official beach boys album! who knows with Wiki. There not right all the time.

The Wikipedia sentence "The album was compiled and released while The Beach Boys were contracted with CBS Records and, as such, is not considered an 'official' release." is poorly worded.  I think they are trying to say that it is a compilation of previously released material and not a new release, so it doesn't go in the Beach Boys' released albums count.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 12:45:53 PM »

When Endless Summer and Spirit of America were released, the Capitol albums Pet Sounds through 20/20 were under license to Warner Brothers, who had cleverly added them to the Beach Boys' new record deal in order to ensure that they had rights to all of the Smile-era material.  When the Beach Boys' Endless Summer resurgence happened in 1974, and realizing that Brian had no intention of letting Warner Brothers release Smile (even though it was mandated in the WB contract), Warner/Reprise issued its own Friends / Smiley Smile and Wild Honey / 20/20 two-fers, as well as Good Vibrations - Best of The Beach Boys, in order to try and recoup some of their investment.  I don't have the contract details at my fingertips, but I'm assuming that the WB deal was for 10 years (1970-1979), so when the rights to the late '60s albums reverted back to Capitol they were able to release Sunshine Dream and Beach Boys Rarities featuring tracks from that era.
Thank you! Good information.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »

Dogbone

The Merv Griffin one, Brian and Dennis actually look and act reasonably good.  The Dick Clark one is kind of scary.  Dennis lost a mile back from the band (possibly intentionally) with angry body language, sometimes seeming on the verge of falling over his kit, Brian unkempt and animated in a somewhat offputting way - in the context of such a mainstream show, it's a little disturbing...the montage is kinda neat though.

The band had two of the best, and worst, pantomime musicians in history in Bruce Johnston and Dennis Wilson, respectively.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:51:34 PM by adamghost » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 05:28:03 AM »

The Wikipedia sentence "The album was compiled and released while The Beach Boys were contracted with CBS Records and, as such, is not considered an 'official' release." is poorly worded.  I think they are trying to say that it is a compilation of previously released material and not a new release, so it doesn't go in the Beach Boys' released albums count.

Thanks very much! That makes a lot more since! Shows you how accurate and trust worthy Wiki can be from time to time!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »

Funny thing on BOTH....Dennis on drums.  He and Brian were BOTH in rough shape during these times (albeit Brian was on the mend a bit, before Dr. Landy was brought in the 2nd time).

I just don't get how Dennis would've agreed to showcase this Medley.   And I remember seeing BOTH clips back when they were aired. 

Dogbone

The Merv Griffin one, Brian and Dennis actually look and act reasonably good.  The Dick Clark one is kind of scary.  Dennis lost a mile back from the band (possibly intentionally) with angry body language, sometimes seeming on the verge of falling over his kit, Brian unkempt and animated in a somewhat offputting way - in the context of such a mainstream show, it's a little disturbing...the montage is kinda neat though.

The band had two of the best, and worst, pantomime musicians in history in Bruce Johnston and Dennis Wilson, respectively.

They are both awful.  I am STILL amazed the band survived 1981-82.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »

Hey Lee--

I'm around...just don't post a lot.   Just don't have a lot of time.  Drop me a line...you know where.

Hope things are good on your end Mr. Malaka!!

Dogbone
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:05:28 PM by Dogbone51 » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »

I was surpised to learn this in this 1985 Record Collector article: “Less well-known is the fact that before Capitol issued the medley, the Beach Boys had themselves attempted to create their own version of the gimmick, re-recording several of their major hits in tandem. This was scrapped when neither the group nor their record company could bear to listen to the results.” What I would give to hear this recording. I don’t wanna wait until 2031!

http://www.mountvernonandfairway.de/downloads/pdf/record_collector_jan_1985_no65.pdf

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx