gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:09:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 50th Anniversary of Good Vibrations Tribute  (Read 1307 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »

Arguably the best song ever put to tape in 1966. Brian Wilson envisioned this song roughly 50 years ago from today, when the song was still untitled. The song eventually evolved into becoming a "pocket symphony" that centered around the theme of, well, Good Vibrations. As soon as it came out, and even till this very day, it's an anthem for a bygone peaceful era, and it's still one of the most bold pieces of Beach Boys' music that haunts Paul McCartney and George Martin in their sleep LOL

Anyways, dispite all this, there was never a stereo mix of this song made because the vocals tapes are now lost, stolen, or destroyed (like a lot of SMiLE tapes, sadly). It's a drag, because you'll never truly get to hear all the intricate vocal harmonies and the colossal instrumentation canvased around two speakers like the way Brian Wilson intended it to in 1966. But, this is mine (and SonicLoveNoize's) crack at what could have been a monster stereo mix for one of the greatest pieces of popular music produced in the 20th century.

First, I used SonicLoveNoize's stereo mix as a foundation for sonic equalization experimentation. I wanted it to sound as close to the original 1966 mono mix as I could have without losing the intergrity of beautiful and spread out stereo. So, after EQing the damned thing to death, I extended the "gotta keep those loving good" section so it could flow into the "hum de dum" section, originally as intended. I have no idea why Brian excluded such a beautiful section, other than to precede the radio limit of 3:30. Then I put all that into a 60s tape simulator program that mimiced the typical saturation that old tapes are famous for. The whole goal, once again, was to sound as close to the 1966 mono mix as I could, so I could then conviently convince an airhead I found the lost 1966 stereo mix of Good Vibrations!

Lastly, I'd like to thank The Beach Boys, and particularly Brian Wilson for pursuing your dreams so others could follow. For knowing no boundaries, so you could shape the boundaries. Thank you for 50+ years of your wonderful music. I'd like to thank you and everyone who has been involved with The Beach Boys, and I'd to thank all of you with the most well known piece of your music. It all starts and ends here, friends.

Thanks Brian.

https://vimeo.com/155048689
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:35:53 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »

Double post.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:35:33 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »

Brilliant!  Thank you. Cheesy
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »

Really good! Impressive job

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »

Glad you guys liked it.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »

Not bad but, if you want to take a peek at what it may have sounded like with the vocals in stereo, check this out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaX52GbjSU
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx