gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:16:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Rolling Stone Article  (Read 21683 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »

Yes!!! LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »

Even better!!!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »

Something I've noticed for some time now are Mike's long, varnished fingernails. Now back in the '70's and '80's Brian had long fingernails but that was because he was unkept and hygienically challenged . This is obviously a fashion choice on the part of Mike, and I don't get it. This is the opposite of the Seinfeld "man-hands" . These are "lady hands" man. An almost 75 year-old man with all those rings and the fingernails...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »

Something I've noticed for some time now are Mike's long, varnished fingernails. Now back in the '70's and '80's Brian had long fingernails but that was because he was unkept and hygienically challenged . This is obviously a fashion choice on the part of Mike, and I don't get it. This is the opposite of the Seinfeld "man-hands" . These are "lady hands" man. An almost 75 year-old man with all those rings and the fingernails...

Ummm... Brian still has long fingernails.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »

The ticket situation was probably something like this,,Mike walks up to buy a ticket for the pre screening to find a young punk working at the window, he says "I am MIke Love and I expect to get in for free!" the teenage punk responds "Yeah Right and I'm Brian Wilson! Now go to the end of the line just like the rest of us!!!!" lol
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »

Well....from another angle.....folks the "Wilson" genes aren't the ones to be used for the next gene replacement surgery.  First lets focus on the Love's that we are aware of from BB's history.  Stan, Steve and Mike-----enough issues to fill up blogs until the next reunion in 2112.  Lets assume their mother (a Wilson) had no affairs and her husband fathered the 3 Love's mentioned above.  Geez, enough stuff over the last 40 to 50 years with these 3 alone that makes us all just scratch our heads.  Then we have Dennis, Brian and Carl.  Again making the same assumptions with Audrey/Murry as we did with Mike's parents.......again enough issues with these 3 to need a doctor to treat our scalp wounds from all the head scratching.  So what do we know about the next generation back ??  Mike's mom and Murry's parents.....any of them with issues ??   Back then in the 30's/40's   people were just put in the asylum....sadly

Mental health treatment of the tough diagnosis' (as we know with Brian) was basically non-existent in the 60's/70's/and 80's.  Yes all very sad.  But when you through in Money, Entitlement, Drugs,  Enablement, etc etc along with mental health issues......it all creates very bizarre behavior that gets lumped in as "mental illness".  Yes, I feel Mike is very passive/aggressive and I have felt this way for a long time listening and reading to all his interviews.  Good for him to acknowledge this in public.  In fact I applaud him !!  For all we know, this may be from the advice of a therapist......and NONE of our business.

I will read the article tomorrow on the plane from Seattle to SanFran and make my own judgement.  But I have to say, some of the things I've read that you Smiley Smilers have typed on the 4 pages of this blog....to me....is also very sad      Making value judgements about Mike with no mental heath experience is just stunningly morbid....and I'm a Brianista
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »

"Tainted by the Wilson blood"
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »

I have read the article as well, and every fan should pick up a copy to read it for themselves. It is a pretty long piece that reads well and is interesting in the quotes, the replies, and the information provided to put the quotes into context. But that's of course up to those reading to decide.

Is it worth reading? Absolutely.

To correct GhostyTMRS, it says the car ride was during the reunion tour, not 2010, for the record  Smiley. Plus, the writing credits and the film topics are just a few lines or paragraphs out of many covered on several pages, the piece covers many issues without focusing on any one of them too much.

And Al Jardine gives his responses and comments that are featured in the article too, that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Oops. my bad. Yes, 2012/reunion era.

I found this article more depressing and disturbing than anything else. I will never understand this kind of TMZ-style fascination with the guys' personal lives that so many fans and writers find enthralling. On the whole, I'd rather not know these things. For example, I'd rather not have read about the "play-acting" session at the end of the interview. That just seemed embarrassing to all involved. While it was revealing to learn that Mike feels that he needs to meditate every day because it would be bad for him and "other people" around him not to, that's still a little unnerving to read.  

I can understand Mike being bitter about certain things, like being bitter about Dennis sleeping with his wife (something else I wish I didn't know). Heck, I've ended friendships over far far less than that, and I can totally understand being upset about the lost songwriting credits. That was a major F-up, outright thievery, etc and he should've been upset and he was right to get that straightened out...

....but, I sincerely hope that the crux of Mike's book isn't about getting screwed over for those credits. His name is all over those songs now. Maybe they weren't originally, but it's not like people are walking into record stores in 2016 and grabbing 1964 pressings of singles and albums and not seeing Mike's name. Everyone, even younger fans, seems to know that Mike wrote the lyrics to those songs. It's a compelling story, of course, but the court case was won. The credits have been amended. The chances of someone getting a copy of California Girls and not seeing Mike's name are slim to none. Maybe Mike runs into his peers and they don't know who did what, but certainly the next generation has it figured out and that really should be all that matters. The history books will list him as Brian's main collaborator. This isn't 1979. He need not agonize over it.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »

w00t!  Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation w00t!   More please.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »

..and slightly off-topic but not...this article (and nearly every article about Brian or Mike) illustrates why ESQ is so necessary. The focus there is on the music. I could read comments from the guys about working in the studio, touring, career stuff, etc. all damn day. Very little of that kind of thing out there in the press. I hope we get a lot of that in both Brian and Mike's books.   
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »

I have read the article as well, and every fan should pick up a copy to read it for themselves. It is a pretty long piece that reads well and is interesting in the quotes, the replies, and the information provided to put the quotes into context. But that's of course up to those reading to decide.

Is it worth reading? Absolutely.

To correct GhostyTMRS, it says the car ride was during the reunion tour, not 2010, for the record  Smiley. Plus, the writing credits and the film topics are just a few lines or paragraphs out of many covered on several pages, the piece covers many issues without focusing on any one of them too much.

And Al Jardine gives his responses and comments that are featured in the article too, that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Oops. my bad. Yes, 2012/reunion era.

I found this article more depressing and disturbing than anything else. I will never understand this kind of TMZ-style fascination with the guys' personal lives that so many fans and writers find enthralling. On the whole, I'd rather not know these things. For example, I'd rather not have read about the "play-acting" session at the end of the interview. That just seemed embarrassing to all involved. While it was revealing to learn that Mike feels that he needs to meditate every day because it would be bad for him and "other people" around him not to, that's still a little unnerving to read.  

I can understand Mike being bitter about certain things, like being bitter about Dennis sleeping with his wife (something else I wish I didn't know). Heck, I've ended friendships over far far less than that, and I can totally understand being upset about the lost songwriting credits. That was a major F-up, outright thievery, etc and he should've been upset and he was right to get that straightened out...

....but, I sincerely hope that the crux of Mike's book isn't about getting screwed over for those credits. His name is all over those songs now. Maybe they weren't originally, but it's not like people are walking into record stores in 2016 and grabbing 1964 pressings of singles and albums and not seeing Mike's name. Everyone, even younger fans, seems to know that Mike wrote the lyrics to those songs. It's a compelling story, of course, but the court case was won. The credits have been amended. The chances of someone getting a copy of California Girls and not seeing Mike's name are slim to none. Maybe Mike runs into his peers and they don't know who did what, but certainly the next generation has it figured out and that really should be all that matters. The history books will list him as Brian's main collaborator. This isn't 1979. He need not agonize over it.

I wonder if that's what it's all about. People like Dylan (in Rocky's story in the Rocky thread) having no respect for Mike, etc... that's just gotta suck, and maybe Mike thinks that making his trials and tribulations publicly known for the umpteenth time will make people re-evaluate him. I can understand the desire, but this in-print complain-repeat-complain-repeat method makes little sense. The other problem, is that NOBODY but nobody gets respect by asking for it. It has to come naturally. The vast majority of people scoff at others, most especially highly successful people, who repeatedly publicly ask for respect, even if indirectly.

2012 simply needed to not have happened like it did on Mike's part. There's just no way to sweep that under the rug,and the only way to dig out from under that hole is not to complain about the L&M non-invite... but to talk more about his OWN regrettable actions over the years from a sincere place in his heart, including regretting hurting Brian and Al's feelings. Frankly that's the only subject that I think will make any perceptible amount of people take notice and re-evaluate Mike for the better.

I, as most everyone in attendance, was touched when I saw him choke up in person talking about family struggles at the California Saga Grammy museum event. It's time to publicly continue in that vein, to selflessly own up to the issues people have with him, not give excuses... as that would undoubtedly make at least some people think more highly of him (isn't the surely his desired outcome?)  If he was sincere about it, it would not have a negative effect the way the words of endless complaining by a rich man with an amazing lifestyle continues to do. Maybe his book will get into some of this stuff, it's got to be buried in his heart somewhere.  I think Mike has a good person lurking within that's aching to get out, but too many yes-men have enabled the egotism.

I cannot for a moment truly believe the only thing he regrets is his cousins' drug use.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:12:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

Great post CD........
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »

Ummm.... not to belabor the point but in Brian's case I think it's just laziness or preoccupation. In Mike's case it appears to be a personal fashion choice and ,in my opinion, odd.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2016, 07:09:51 PM »

Up now officially on RS site.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-ballad-of-mike-love-20160217
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2016, 02:44:26 AM »

While it was revealing to learn that Mike feels that he needs to meditate every day because it would be bad for him and "other people" around him not to, that's still a little unnerving to read.  

Why?

I mean, I don't think there's anything unnerving about, for example, someone who had stress and anger management issues who felt they had to pray every day.   They know they have a problem and they've found something that works for them.   It's really the same thing.  I mean, if someone's acknowledged a personal issue and they've got something that works to help them be better, the last thing to be unnerved about is that they feel the need to stay committed to that path.

I don't have a problem with the rest of your post, but I found this comment really puzzling.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:46:02 AM by adamghost » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »

I don't know if it's what the previous poster found "unnerving", and I don't know if I'd use that word, but I think one of the takeaways from the article is the irony that he still seems to harbor anger and resentment even *after* doing the supposedly soothing meditation.

I'm surprised the interviewer had the balls to actually point this out to Mike, that the guy who has been espousing the benefits of meditation for nearly half a century doesn't seem all that calm when it comes to a series of his own hot-button topics.

Mike says he gets something out of what he does, so that's all good. But I don't think it's crazy for an observer to scratch their head a bit when they hear a dissertation on the calming benefits of meditation, then see Mike foaming at the mouth about being CHEATED! regarding an issue for which he *won* a lawsuit over 20 years ago.

It's even more perplexing considering Mike has subsequently worked with Brian again well after he (Mike) won the lawsuit. Yet, when they're estranged, the topic comes up *again*.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:38:24 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2016, 12:52:45 AM »

If you goto the RS article on their site now, they deleted the line about shawn that was originally in it and was in the magazine
"although the early, horndog vagaries of his life may have resulted in at least one more."

wonder if mike threatened legal action? hah
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2016, 02:56:37 AM »

Jesus Mike... Undecided

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »

I will say one good thing about Mike: after going through a seemingly endless succession of marriages, he seems to have found the right one this time around. She seems like a real nice lady.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx