gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:26:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Rolling Stone Article  (Read 21684 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

It is about Zeppo Wilson.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:48 PM »

And just to set SJS straight, the article IS about myKe luHv.

Mike's book comes out this summer, right? In the words of Maury Sline, 'a gig like that, you gotta prepare the proper exploitation'.

Stir the pot. Makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:12:00 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure John is factually wrong, Brian is a Beach Boy, legally, and really in every relevant way, he just isn't a member of the touring band for which Mike has licensed the name for touring purposes.  He was certainly a Beach Boy in 2012, I've got a CD to prove it.  Mike may have booted him from the touring band but he can't boot him from anything else.

Perhaps SJS is confusing the singular and the plural?  Mike Love is *a* Beach Boy but as Dennis Wilson once elucidated, Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys.

EoL
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:12:14 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »

Jezus H Cryste!!!  Really?!?!?  Biting the hand that feeds him again?  Man!!! !!! !!!

Mike!!!  Say it isn't so.  Please.  DON'T present yourself as merely being one notch above a B-Hole.  It's never worked out for you before and it most assuredly won't THIS time either.

Cred Mike.  Cred!!!

Really ?!?!?

Poor  F O O L.
---------------------

I'll gladly return to eat my words and apologise to Mike and his fans if it isn't him in R.S. with more of his same old/same old, stupid, Beach Boy killing, ignorant, woe is me, YOU KNOW I'M THE MAN!!!...bull sh*t he's spewed out like some age old degenerate over these past ever-so-many decades.

WTF?!?!?  Just 'cause the 'Friends' lyric "I talked your folks out of making you cut off you hair." line wasn't about you Mike!!! !!! !!!

Surely "I 'loaned' you money when the funds weren't too cool." sounds like you...receiving...night after night after night.

Good gawd...this is just SO damm far beyond old. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:25:47 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 06:30:12 PM »

Because it says "A Beach Boy Looks Back..." I would think it is Mike Love because he IS a Beach Boy. Brian Wilson isn't a Beach Boy and neither is Al Jardine. I'd be surprised if Bruce would be the one looking back...

Give it a rest SJS.  This bull sh*t is what?  Your award winning essay from the Mike Love school of dickheadedness?  If so...I'm sure you got an AAA+  Good qawd!!!  Brian D. Wilson isn't a Beach Boy?  Give your dick a shake.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »

Because it says "A Beach Boy Looks Back..." I would think it is Mike Love because he IS a Beach Boy. Brian Wilson isn't a Beach Boy and neither is Al Jardine. I'd be surprised if Bruce would be the one looking back...

Give it a rest SJS.  This bull sh*t is what?  Your award winning essay from the Mike Love school of dickheadedness?  If so...I'm sure you got an AAA+  Good qawd!!!  Brian D. Wilson isn't a Beach Boy?  Give your dick a shake.

LOL LOL LOL LOL w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »

Brian and Al *are* Beach Boys by the only legal/corporate definition we can use. They simply aren't employed by the separate business entity currently licensing use of the name solely for touring purposes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 08:06:03 PM »

This issue is already on newsstands so I read it while at Barnes & Noble. This is an extremely bizarre interview/profile. If reading about Mike breaking down to his wife and pleading to know why some fans think he's a villain floats your boat, then you've hit paydirt. I found it all more disturbing than interesting. I don't know who comes off worse, Mike or the author of the piece.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 08:11:17 PM »

Is the author Rocky?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:21 PM »

And IF SJS is right in his assertion, that Brian and Al are NOT Beach Boys, well then it's obvious whose fault that is. From their LA Times letter, they clearly WANT to be Beach Boys.  And if SJS wants to blame-shift to Brian for voting to allow Mike to have a license after Carl died... well what about Al, whose vote surely wasn't in Mike's pocket? Why, SJS, is Al no longer a Beach Boy then in your eyes? Whose fault is that? It sure isn't Al's!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »

If this is Mike's article, as everyone including me is assuming... I'm just trying to figure out what Mike's motivation is in continuing to bitch and moan publicly, thus warranting a headline as such.

He clearly feels wronged, cheated by history/opinion in some fashion, misunderstood... wouldn't everyone across the board of BB politics agree that these seem to be the type of emotions that would make someone repeatedly have to complain in the media?

He keeps doing it, so I'm guessing he thinks his tactic is somehow working. Is there a group of a 5 fans who come up to him at shows and tell him "right on, man - you are right" about his verbal repeated griping, thus legitimizing the griping to continue endlessly until some magical Mike's-place-in-history-goal has been attained? Has it *ever* crossed Mike's mind that he fans flames and causes the reverse to occur inadvertently? It is so sad and pathological.

I struggle to convince friends and more casual fans of the band (and I have tried!) about Mike's legitimate contributions to the band, that the guy should be more appreciated for many solid lyrics and vocals which he did, because of things like this. People are less likely to have sympathy for a mega-rich endless complainer, and I am also less incentivized to back him up to casual fans because Mike's attitude keeps rubbing me the wrong way, sometimes enough to nearly mute my legit appreciation for his good work. Ugh. Talk about salt in a wound. Maybe this will be where Mike talks about how incredibly off-base he was portrayed in Love & Mercy and how the 2000 TV movie was more accurate. I can almost predict we'll hear that at some point.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:46:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »

Highlights (if you want to call them that)

- Mike asked to see an advance screening of Love & Mercy and was told to go buy a ticket like everyone else.
- Funny story about Mike and Brian riding around in a car in 2010.
- Mike admits he should've been more sensitive about certain things but has anger issues which were alleviated to some degree with TM, but he needs to meditate every day to control those issues (hence the title of the article, I reckon)

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »

- Mike asked to see an advance screening of Love & Mercy and was told to go buy a ticket like everyone else.

If that's true, it's unfortunate and not nice. Undeniably so. But I fail to see how he could exactly be surprised given how Brian was given similar treatment as C50 ended.

If anyone wants to claim the two incidents are unrelated, I'll eat my shorts.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:05:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »

If that's true, it's unfortunate and not nice. Undeniably so. But I fail to see how he could exactly be surprised given how Brian was given similar treatment as C50 ended.

Given Mike's litigious tendencies (to put it mildly), I don't think it was not nice , I think it was necessary and even wise.  However, it is unfortunate that such is necessary.

EoL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »

Given Mike's litigious tendencies (to put it mildly), I don't think it was not nice , I think it was necessary and even wise.  However, it is unfortunate that such is necessary.

EoL

Absolutely. No greater level of disrespect could have been showed by Mike to Brian in 2012, and the favor was returned. I'm not a fan or advocate of revenge, but that seems to be it in a nutshell.  Mike's hoping the public have short memories about Brian and Al's letters to the LA Times about feeling like they were fired.  

In Mike's world of what's fair and right, Mike & Bruce continue on in late 2012, Brian and Al feel like they were fired (but of course those feelings are illegitimate and WRONG), their hurt feelings (and the person to which they publicly direct their hurt) go publicly unacknowledged by Mike, a bitter and very ugly ending to the reunion tour ensues... yet Mike expects to get a golden VIP ticket to the premiere screening, Q&A, and afterparty to Brian's film, which examines some very sensitive and emotionally draining periods in Brian's life (some of which involved Mike).

If Mike had been invited, I'm not sure (given his track record of public complaining) how it would have been unreasonable for Brian, Melinda, and the filmmakers to potentially anticipate Mike publicly demanding a mic (if there was a Q&A) and causing a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame type scene.  While I can understand if Mike would have had (or maybe has, if he has actually seen the film but won't admit it) some issues with the film, since I have heard some insiders express some issues with it... I cannot imagine anyone would feel super confident that Mike would contain his feelings, even there in the screening.  Maybe he would have. But reasonable doubt was there.

And while the film inexplicably didn't wind up getting an Oscar noms, a public spat incident like the hypothetical Rock and Roll Hall of Fame type one could also have helped sink the film's chances for awards. Yep, sounds like it would have been a solid, risk-averse idea to invite Mike.

It's sad, but quite understandable. Truthfully... are readers expected to feel sympathetic to Mike? I just feel pity for the emotionally crippled, yet talented man that he is.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:01:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »

I wonder if Brian knew Mike wanted to see an advanced screening.
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »

I wonder if Brian knew Mike wanted to see an advanced screening.
As of the weekend the film was released to the public, he knew that Mike hadn't seen it.
See the following video (of the movie Q&A in West L.A. from this past June) at around 14:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBN13zB8L6c
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:18 PM »

Given Mike's litigious tendencies (to put it mildly), I don't think it was not nice , I think it was necessary and even wise.  However, it is unfortunate that such is necessary.

EoL

Absolutely. No greater level of disrespect could have been showed by Mike to Brian in 2012, and the favor was returned. I'm not a fan or advocate of revenge, but that seems to be it in a nutshell.  Mike's hoping the public have short memories about Brian and Al's letters to the LA Times about feeling like they were fired. 

In Mike's world of what's fair and right, Mike & Bruce continue on in late 2012, Brian and Al feel like they were fired (but of course those feelings are illegitimate and WRONG), their hurt feelings (and the person to which they publicly direct their hurt) go publicly unacknowledged by Mike, a bitter and very ugly ending to the reunion tour ensues... yet Mike expects to get a golden VIP ticket to the premiere screening, Q&A, and afterparty to Brian's film, which examines some very sensitive and emotionally draining periods in Brian's life (some of which involved Mike).

If Mike had been invited, I'm not sure (given his track record of public complaining) how it would have been unreasonable for Brian, Melinda, and the filmmakers to potentially anticipate Mike publicly demanding a mic (if there was a Q&A) and causing a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame type scene.  While I can understand if Mike would have had (or maybe has, if he has actually seen the film but won't admit it) some issues with the film, since I have heard some insiders express some issues with it... I cannot imagine anyone would feel super confident that Mike would contain his feelings, even there in the screening.  Maybe he would have. But reasonable doubt was there.

And while the film inexplicably didn't wind up getting an Oscar noms, a public spat incident like the hypothetical Rock and Roll Hall of Fame type one could also have helped sink the film's chances for awards. Yep, sounds like it would have been a solid, risk-averse idea to invite Mike.

It's sad, but quite understandable. Truthfully... are readers expected to feel sympathetic to Mike? I just feel pity for the emotionally crippled, yet talented man that he is.

I missed this… I thought Mike was quoted as having requested an advance screening, not a "golden VIP ticket to the premiere screening, Q&A, and afterparty"… or maybe you know for a fact that he also demanded free popcorn and five minutes with the usherette of his choice?

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »

Given Mike's litigious tendencies (to put it mildly), I don't think it was not nice , I think it was necessary and even wise.  However, it is unfortunate that such is necessary.

EoL

Absolutely. No greater level of disrespect could have been showed by Mike to Brian in 2012, and the favor was returned. I'm not a fan or advocate of revenge, but that seems to be it in a nutshell.  Mike's hoping the public have short memories about Brian and Al's letters to the LA Times about feeling like they were fired.  

If Mike had been invited, I'm not sure (given his track record of public complaining) how it would have been unreasonable for Brian, Melinda, and the filmmakers to potentially anticipate Mike publicly demanding a mic (if there was a Q&A) and causing a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame type scene.  While I can understand if Mike would have had (or maybe has, if he has actually seen the film but won't admit it) some issues with the film, since I have heard some insiders express some issues with it... I cannot imagine anyone would feel super confident that Mike would contain his feelings, even there in the screening.  Maybe he would have. But reasonable doubt was there.

I missed this… I thought Mike was quoted as having requested an advance screening, not a "golden VIP ticket to the premiere screening, Q&A, and afterparty"… or maybe you know for a fact that he also demanded free popcorn and five minutes with the usherette of his choice?

If he was offered anything less than the best screening, don't you think he'd mention that too? That'd just be another reason to get offended. I'm half joking, but also half serious! It'd be: "They couldn't spring for The Arclight, they got me tickets to the $2.00 matinee and didn't invite me to the Q&A", or a new M&B song addition of Drive-In: "don't sneak Mike Love in the trunk to watch Love & Mercy through the keyhole down at the drive-in"

I'm fairly certain it would have been a no-win situation, far from risk-averse, for Mike to be invited to even a non-premiere screening, don't you think? I admit it sucks, very much so. These are grown men, after all. I'd love nothing more than to have seen Mike watch the movie, sincerely choke up, and want to hug his cousin.

IMO it's quite obvious the non-invite (in the likely manner in which the non-invite happened) wouldn't have happened had Mike not acted in a way in 2012 that made Brian feel like he was fired.  Do you not think there's a cause/effect thing there? I'm not saying it's right for Mike to have been given that answer, but I'm saying it's perfectly understandable given the disrespect Brian (and Al) received in 2012. It's hard to have much sympathy for Mike over this, unless there's some great secret mystery of the events of 2012 that makes everyone (including Brian and Al) realize just how wrong they were over blaming Mike for the tour's demise.

Of course, the disrespect Brian and Al received in 2012 is a matter of opinion, and Mike probably thinks he was disrespected first with the songwriting, so that made his actions of killing the tour beyond the extended dates ok. And then you dig further, and it all goes back decades to if Brian and Mike are equals, or if Brian deserves to be deferred to more than Mike is willing to defer, which of course we can infer what Mike's answer would be.

Bottom line: If Mike didn't "make things right" both publicly and privately with Brian after Brian publicly stated how hurt he was over Mike's actions (and Mike's LA Times response is not making things right... Brian's feelings have to be acknowledged, not dismissed), I don't know what universe exists where Mike gets an invite to a touchy film like that, and everything is hunky dory. There are some logical steps missing on the road from A to B.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:13:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 01:59:49 AM »

- Mike admits he should've been more sensitive about certain things but has anger issues which were alleviated to some degree with TM, but he needs to meditate every day to control those issues (hence the title of the article, I reckon)

So Mike got some alone time with Brian, in a car no less, and failed to take the opportuniity to write a new classic car song. What a shame!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:24 AM »

Interestingly, this at least partly answers two of the questions or points people have had about other recent Mike interviews -- why he hasn't seen Love & Mercy (I can imagine being a little grumpy after being refused an advance screening when he's a character in the film), and why he never admits he's been at fault about things in the past (he says he was, and that he had anger issues, and that TM helps control them).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 03:02:36 AM »

Could this be an excerpt from the autobio? Does RS do that (ie. reprint book excerpts)?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 04:08:20 AM »

Could this be an excerpt from the autobio? Does RS do that (ie. reprint book excerpts)?

Yes, quite frequently.
KDS
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 05:10:48 AM »

Serious note about Mike.  If he truly has anger issues that make him say dumb things and come across as a villain, than maybe he should mediCATE instead of mediTATE. 
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »

Just to reiterate, this is not an excerpt from Mike's book, but rather a typical Rolling Stone profile piece, and not a flattering one either. Yes, the main focus is the songwriting credits issue. No one (not even the author) comes off particularly well either.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx