gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:39:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Rolling Stone Article  (Read 21826 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 06:21:33 AM »

In the interest of fairness, Mike Love should start looking for a talented director/producer who's willing to spend his money and a year or two of his life filming 'Good Vibrations: The Mike Love Story'. In fact, maybe all of the surviving parties should director up.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:23:33 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 06:36:40 AM »

Highlights (if you want to call them that)

- Mike asked to see an advance screening of Love & Mercy and was told to go buy a ticket like everyone else.

If that's true, it's unfortunate and not nice. Undeniably so. But I fail to see how he could exactly be surprised given how Brian was given similar treatment as C50 ended.

If anyone wants to claim the two incidents are unrelated, I'll eat my shorts.

Given Mike's litigious tendencies (to put it mildly), I don't think it was not nice , I think it was necessary and even wise.  However, it is unfortunate that such is necessary.

EoL
If there was a risk of a lawsuit, it wouldn't be unusual for an attorney to advise against it for fear of a stay against release.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:28 AM »

Is it worth picking up Ghosty or is it trash? Hard to find in the UK these days.

Thanks in advance.

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 07:18:53 AM »

Haven't read the RS article yet. But it may or may not be worth mentioning that there are other "versions" of the L&M screening issue floating around. Of the two I've heard, one sounds pretty identical to the story Mike has related several times, while another version is very different. Interestingly, the very different version of the story ends sort of the way Mike's story goes, but has a completely different and far more plausible context that explains it.

Even separate from the versions of the story I've heard, I will say that the corporate structure and "approval" requirements that I would think would be involved (regarding the soundtrack, for instance) would make a scenario of saying at the outset "Hey Mike, go buy a ticket, we ain't showing it to you" not very plausible.

I will say this: I don't believe Brian's camp or the film's producers "hid" the movie from Mike and didn't want to show it to him for fear of litigation. Not only would they have already vetted the film for that as much as possible, and not only is the film (in my opinion) not inflammatory in the slightest regarding Mike, but such a scenario implies Mike wouldn't be able to see it on his own or get a DVD copy eventually. In other words, if Mike had grounds to sue over something or wanted to sue, it would happen sooner or later anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 07:42:20 AM »

I can't help but think of the classic Simpsons episode where Homer forbids Bart from seeing the Itchy and Scratchy Movie. 

In one scene, Bart sneaks to the theater to try to see the movie, and the box office has a picture of Bart when a sign that says "Do not sell tickets to this boy." 
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »

Is it worth picking up Ghosty or is it trash? Hard to find in the UK these days.

Thanks in advance.

It's worth picking up but there's very little that we don't already know. Some good tidbits but sad overall.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 07:56:25 AM »

Thanks in advance.

It's worth picking up but there's very little that we don't already know. Some good tidbits but sad overall.

Many thanks again.

“We live in divisive times.”
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »

I think it is regrettable that Mike (or if any other Beach Boy featured in Love & Mercy) wasn't provided an advanced screening or screener. I would assume they were more concerned about Mike seeing it and badmouthing it. As HeyJude mentioned, if there was any fear of litigation, I'm not sure it would have mattered much when he eventually sees it.

If they were concerned with him badmouthing the film, I would question the logic. Critics are going to have more credibility for whether the film was good or worthwhile viewing. If Mike was squealing how inaccurate or unfairly he was portrayed, I would think that is earned media that the film could have used. Plus, I think there would be more than a couple people able to refute his accusations. I also see a scenario where they include all the living Beach Boys at a premiere and get a ton of free publicity off of the coming together for the first time in 2-3 years.

Sadly, I buy in to the fact that Brian and his camp were likely snubbing him. Whether or not it was warranted due to past behavior, I just wish a couple of guys in their twilight years could be a bit more cordial.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »

Alright guys, let's put together a GoFundMe campaign to buy Mike Love a copy of "Love & Mercy" (DVD or Blu-Ray?).

We will send it to Foskett, ask him to forge a nice note and Brian's signature on the packaging, and he can then hand it to Mike. Mike will think Brian sent an olive branch, he will love the movie, and they can tour the 50th anniversary of Smile and Smiley Smile next year.

"Gettin' Hungry," bitches
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »

If they thought there was a risk of litigation (I don't personally see much to sue over), they would prefer the litigation to occur after the release as a court is more likely to order a stay before release than a recall after release.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »

I don't believe Mike not seeing the film has anything to do with the producers fearing litigation from Mike or fearing Mike badmouthing the film.

I think, if the full story of the soundtrack approval/non-approval ever gets told, it will also shed some light on this "to screen or not to screen" fiasco.

My gut and various musings I've heard suggest that a "nah, you'll have to just buy yourself a ticket" scenario is not very plausible. It may be the final part of a much longer story.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »

I don't believe Mike not seeing the film has anything to do with the producers fearing litigation from Mike or fearing Mike badmouthing the film.

I think, if the full story of the soundtrack approval/non-approval ever gets told, it will also shed some light on this "to screen or not to screen" fiasco.

My gut and various musings I've heard suggest that a "nah, you'll have to just buy yourself a ticket" scenario is not very plausible. It may be the final part of a much longer story.
I agree there's not much to sue over, so I don't think a fear of litigation was probable. It sounds like you've heard something I haven't heard regarding the soundtrack. Is that something you can share?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:37 AM »

I agree there's not much to sue over, so I don't think a fear of litigation was probable. It sounds like you've heard something I haven't heard regarding the soundtrack. Is that something you can share?

There was speculation that Mike was holding up the release of the soundtrack.  At least I think that's what HeyJude is referring to.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

There was speculation that Mike was holding up the release of the soundtrack.  At least I think that's what HeyJude is referring to.
Ah. I hadn't heard that. Thank you.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »

I can't help but think of the classic Simpsons episode where Homer forbids Bart from seeing the Itchy and Scratchy Movie. 

In one scene, Bart sneaks to the theater to try to see the movie, and the box office has a picture of Bart when a sign that says "Do not sell tickets to this boy." 

LOL

Now I get it. When Mike stated in that other interview that (I'm paraphrasing here) "they had the projector all cued up, and then they pulled it. They wouldn't let us see it". He must have been referring to a promise to him and Evan Landy to a private screening, just the two of them, and at the last minute it was nixed.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »

- Mike asked to see an advance screening of Love & Mercy and was told to go buy a ticket like everyone else.
- Funny story about Mike and Brian riding around in a car in 2010.
- Mike admits he should've been more sensitive about certain things but has anger issues which were alleviated to some degree with TM, but he needs to meditate every day to control those issues (hence the title of the article, I reckon)

Serious note about Mike.  If he truly has anger issues that make him say dumb things and come across as a villain, than maybe he should mediCATE instead of mediTATE. 

We don't know that he doesn't. It's not an either-or thing. And many mental health professionals will recommend -- either with or instead of medication -- cognitive behavioural therapy for that kind of mental health problem. A lot of the techniques taught in CBT are also taught as part of most schools of meditation, so it may well be that TM has a beneficial effect on any problems he has.
Personally, I don't think how he -- or anyone else -- chooses to deal with any mental health issues he has is anyone's business but his.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »

I have read the article as well, and every fan should pick up a copy to read it for themselves. It is a pretty long piece that reads well and is interesting in the quotes, the replies, and the information provided to put the quotes into context. But that's of course up to those reading to decide.

Is it worth reading? Absolutely.

To correct GhostyTMRS, it says the car ride was during the reunion tour, not 2010, for the record  Smiley. Plus, the writing credits and the film topics are just a few lines or paragraphs out of many covered on several pages, the piece covers many issues without focusing on any one of them too much.

And Al Jardine gives his responses and comments that are featured in the article too, that hasn't been mentioned yet.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

- Funny story about Mike and Brian riding around in a car in 2010.
- Mike admits he should've been more sensitive about certain things but has anger issues which were alleviated to some degree with TM, but he needs to meditate every day to control those issues (hence the title of the article, I reckon)

Serious note about Mike.  If he truly has anger issues that make him say dumb things and come across as a villain, than maybe he should mediCATE instead of mediTATE.  

We don't know that he doesn't. It's not an either-or thing. And many mental health professionals will recommend -- either with or instead of medication -- cognitive behavioural therapy for that kind of mental health problem. A lot of the techniques taught in CBT are also taught as part of most schools of meditation, so it may well be that TM has a beneficial effect on any problems he has.
Personally, I don't think how he -- or anyone else -- chooses to deal with any mental health issues he has is anyone's business but his.

Firstly, if Mike is going ahead and actually admitting he has anger issues, I applaud him for being honest about it. I haven't read the article yet, but fessing up to it sounds like something commendable to me. It's quite uncommon in a public interview for Mike to say anything negative about just his own personality (and nobody else's) - not sure I can even recall one other example (on the level of mentioning "anger issues") in 50+ years of interviews.

Secondly, how Mike chooses to deal with any mental health issues he has is, of course, his own business. However, considering the unique history of this band, in which multiple band members have experienced deep emotional issues... with Mike himself far and away being the most publicly vocal about *other* peoples' issues... it seems that by repeatedly, endlessly bringing up Brian's and Dennis' issues (neither of whose problems were only, completely, and unequivocally *just* related to substances - there was an abusive guy named Murry who greatly contributed), Mike himself thus puts Mike's own issues (and the destructive ways that his own issues outwardly manifest) up for scrutiny and examination. What's fair is fair, right?  

Anger issues often manifest in ways that hurt *other* people, so it's not just about himself anymore, it becomes about how other people around him additionally have probably also inadvertently been hurt.  And when you factor in that the other people themselves were overly sensitive due to abuse, well it was a recipe for disaster that has unfortunately been whitewashed for way too long. If (and that's a big "if") Mike is beginning to come to terms with it publicly, this could only be a good thing in the interest of healing.

Thirdly, if people are concerned for Mike's well-being, in that he may be slowly be committing career suicide in interviews... well I'd say that's a good thing for people to be concerned and to want him to help himself not further dig any holes. Much in the way that fans were deeply concerned about Brian's well-being in the early 90s from the public glimpses they saw, so are a number of fans concerned about Mike these days. While mouthing off in countless interviews isn't anywhere near the same as overmedicating to the point that Brian was, it's still very harmful.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:13:40 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »

This really is sad. I don't dislike Mike , but what is he really angry about: That he was the front man for one of the great groups of all time? That he had an extremely talented cousin who gave him a career? That he traveled the world and that an average looking, prematurely balding man had access to beautiful women? That he won millions in a lawsuit and owns beautiful houses?That he has had great health for 73 plus years?  That he's won awards over the years? Mr. Positivity indeed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »

This really is sad. I don't dislike Mike , but what is he really angry about: That he was the front man for one of the great groups of all time? That he had an extremely talented cousin who gave him a career? That he traveled the world and that an average looking, prematurely balding man had access to beautiful women? That he won millions in a lawsuit and owns beautiful houses?That he has had great health for 73 plus years?  That he's won awards over the years? Mr. Positivity indeed.

This is exactly what 90%+ of readers are going to say who read the article, and 90% of the comments will doubtlessly reflect.

Plus: being publicly sour and angry in interviews all the time (about the same old tired people and things) is also pretty much the worst advertisement Mike could make for TM. Is someone supposed to go "I want to mediate so I too can endlessly hold onto issues and be as bitter as that guy, despite all the money and amazing life that he has!"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:28:14 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »

Mike has on numerous occasions, most recently just a couple months ago in the aftermath of the holiday season, posted huge photo albums of Facebook showing the amazing, warm, privileged life he leads.

We all have stuff that bugs us, and we all have stuff from the past that we have issues with. Being wealthy and having good fortune doesn't mean you're not allowed to be disgruntled about anything ever.

But it does seem to be, both by outside observance and by his own indications based on sharing his life on Facebook, hard to empathize to a great extent with his feeling so disenfranchised.

He has secured the license to tour under the BB name (arguably at least on a few occasions to the exclusion of other original group members), travels the world to adulation and well-attended shows, collects awards, has nobody to answer to in his touring operation, has dinners with Bill O'Reilly, and so on.

And some of his go-to complaints, namely the songwriting lawsuit and inner-band drug usage, are literally *dead* issues. Mike won the lawsuit, and the guys left alive are guys that Mike doesn't have to work with and who aren't doing drugs anymore anyway.

Hoping to read the article soon.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:28:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »

Maybe I've missed it - if so, apologies for my obtuseness - but who wrote the article ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »

It's absolutely pathetic that these men are still publicly squabbling at this point.

I'm embarrassed for all involved.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:55:17 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »

LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print