gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:32:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Beach Boys / BW inspired song??  (Read 7805 times)
SteveJ1980
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2016, 01:40:33 AM »

Ok so I was out walking the dog this morning on a sunny, crisp winters morning in manchester and was listening to some music on the headphones (as you do) and I had an idea for a thread on here. 

What would you consider to be your favourite beach boys / brian wilson inspired song.  To make it a little tougher, and a bit more fun of course YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO STATE ONE CHOICE. Would be good if you could give a brief reason why you consider it to be BB/BW inspired....

Apologies for my naivity if this has already been done before but I figure even if the exercise was done a while back it may need refreshing now anyway!! So I'll start things off with one of my faves...

At my most beautiful by REM.  The organ, percussion and cord changes....and of course the obvious harmonies scream Pet Sounds to me!! I'm getting vibes of Lets Go Away for Awhile??....see what you all think.....Decisions decisions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpNUDLsAOvY&sns=em
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »

Responding to the 40th Anniversary of Brian's Back/15 Big Ones/It's OK Documentary thread made me think of this song - "Shannon" by Henry Gross. I distinctly remember laying on the beach in Wildwood, New Jersey in the summer of 1976, and this song was played on the radio constantly. What a great summer song!

Anyway, to this thread's topic, the song sounds like a Beach Boys' song, from the lead vocal to the background vocals and, of course, Henry Gross' falsetto. As far as being inspired by The Beach Boys, I've read that the lyrics were about Carl Wilson's dog, but I never knew if that was true or a rumor. Actually I think Carl appeared on one of Henry's albums. I think about this song with a Carl Wilson lead vocal (or a Brian attempt maybe?) and I think it would've been a great cover.
SteveJ1980
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »

Responding to the 40th Anniversary of Brian's Back/15 Big Ones/It's OK Documentary thread made me think of this song - "Shannon" by Henry Gross. I distinctly remember laying on the beach in Wildwood, New Jersey in the summer of 1976, and this song was played on the radio constantly. What a great summer song!

Anyway, to this thread's topic, the song sounds like a Beach Boys' song, from the lead vocal to the background vocals and, of course, Henry Gross' falsetto. As far as being inspired by The Beach Boys, I've read that the lyrics were about Carl Wilson's dog, but I never knew if that was true or a rumor. Actually I think Carl appeared on one of Henry's albums. I think about this song with a Carl Wilson lead vocal (or a Brian attempt maybe?) and I think it would've been a great cover.

Cool story man, thanks for sharing I'll look up the song...
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:51:01 AM »

I tell you what... Panic! At The Disco's new track crazy=genius takes some beating. It's not been off my playlist since I found out about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLPTNumhyAY

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
KDS
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »

The title track to David Gilmour's 2006 On an Island album wouldn't have sounded too out of place on a recent BB/BW release (minus the Gilmour guitar solos). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij2vdvL7dx4
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »

Cool story man, thanks for sharing I'll look up the song...

Here's a link: https://youtu.be/CPvjtUq9paA
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:33 AM »

"Hawaii" by the High Fives. This was around 2006 or so.  I don't remember who the guy was behind the band, but they were on myspace back in the day. Not to be confused with the High Llamas.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »

Wouldn't say it's the best but the first that comes to mind is A Carol For Lorelei by The Cryan' Shames. Very obvious 65-66 Beach Boys influence / direct imitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-leTE-j_fw
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »

Ok so I was out walking the dog this morning on a sunny, crisp winters morning in manchester and was listening to some music on the headphones (as you do) and I had an idea for a thread on here.  

What would you consider to be your favourite beach boys / brian wilson inspired song.  To make it a little tougher, and a bit more fun of course YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO STATE ONE CHOICE. Would be good if you could give a brief reason why you consider it to be BB/BW inspired....

Apologies for my naivity if this has already been done before but I figure even if the exercise was done a while back it may need refreshing now anyway!! So I'll start things off with one of my faves...

At my most beautiful by REM.  The organ, percussion and cord changes....and of course the obvious harmonies scream Pet Sounds to me!! I'm getting vibes of Lets Go Away for Awhile??....see what you all think.....Decisions decisions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpNUDLsAOvY&sns=em

"At My Most Beautiful" has always annoyed me.  Not that it isn't a lovely recording, and they get the sonics about right, but compositionally, it just doesn't go anywhere.  To my ear, it's an homage that misses the mark in the song category.  The lyrics (both the content and the melody) sound like they were awkwardly fitted to a pre-existing track - the melody doesn't really expand on the chord progression or take it anywhere new - and the main chord sequence (which is repeated endlessly) sounds like a pre-chorus leading to a chorus that never comes.

Not that R.E.M. is alone in this regard, but as a very high-profile Beach Boys pastiche, it is a poster child for what bugs me about a lot of them - attention to the ear candy and shorting the other elements.  Though it's at least heartfelt (at least from Peter Buck, less sure about Stipe's contribution).

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but just wanted to vent a little.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:55:02 PM by adamghost » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »

It's hard to pick just one, but the one that's popping into my head that hits the mark most squarely is probably Henry Gross' 1975 hit "Shannon."  It's a lovely recording, great song (no issues with a lack of a chorus here!) and most importantly, the Beach Boys' sound is used here not just for ear candy, but to be extremely moving and convey emotions that the actual words themselves don't put across.  That's the thing most folks that try to capture the magic tend to miss - not just the sounds, but the emotional effect their combination creates.

If I thought about it more I could probably think of a newer and hipper example but why bother!  Smiley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:47:07 PM »

Pale and Precious- The Dukes of Stratosphear

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »

Pale and Precious- The Dukes of Stratosphear

Was just about to write that, you beat me to it! Probably the greatest thing XTC ever did.
SteveJ1980
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

Rants or otherwise are welcome! I'm fascinated to hear different opinions and ideas for additions to my playlists from friends in the U.S. and elsewhere! Thanks everyone so far for sharing 👍🏼
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »

It's hard to pick just one, but the one that's popping into my head that hits the mark most squarely is probably Henry Gross' 1975 hit "Shannon."  It's a lovely recording, great song (no issues with a lack of a chorus here!) and most importantly, the Beach Boys' sound is used here not just for ear candy, but to be extremely moving and convey emotions that the actual words themselves don't put across.  That's the thing most folks that try to capture the magic tend to miss - not just the sounds, but the emotional effect their combination creates.

If I thought about it more I could probably think of a newer and hipper example but why bother!  Smiley

Didn't see that someone else had twigged "Shannon," that's pretty cool!

I have a soft spot as well for "Sunrise" by Eric Carmen, same year.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »

I gotta go with "Brian Wilson", as Steven Page is one of my all time favorite songwriters.  That said, I'm also a huge fan of Roxette and feel Per's "B-Any-1-U-Wanna-B" deserves an honorable mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKV0SdcoSk
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »

"Bluish" by Animal Collective strikes me as eerily close to something Brian might have written in his prime. It's one of my all-time favourite songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZlXwPb_JPM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:59:52 AM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 10:54:02 PM »

"Pancreas" by Weird Al Yankovic. Really. This is easily as good as "Pale and Precious".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 02:02:33 AM »

"Nature Is The Law", Richard Ashcroft.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »

Take a listen to Brian Wilson Is A Genius by Ruido Pegajoso.

http://ruidopegajoso.bandcamp.com/

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 04:52:38 AM »

I'll go with "That's All For Everyone".  It has that Brian Wilson-produced Beach Boys ethos rather than things you can put your finger on. Possibly Buckingham-era Fleetwood Mac's finest hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pZipYTm_9o

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »

Historically, I believe AGD votes for Beach Baby by First Class when this topic arises.  Wink

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »

Historically, I believe AGD votes for Beach Baby by First Class when this topic arises.  Wink

I've always thought that was sh*t. More a pastiche of summery songs influenced by Brian pre-1964 than a pastiche of actual Brian stuff.

I think of people influenced by Brian like Paddy McAloon. The influence is there but it's not designed to smack you in the face.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:51 AM »

Every time I hear that song I find myself wishing the Boys would get together and record a take on it.  Maybe with a Bruce lead?

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »

Rick Henn really nailed the Brian Wilson sound with 'Girl On The Beach'. That's a great record.

In case some here have never heard it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxdXCL_hqQ

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 11:53:51 AM »

I would vote for BEACH BABY hands down.  For many of us in High School at the time... we thought it WAS the Beach Boys... and were disappointed that it wasn't.  A classic mid 1970s pop hit.  I recall reading that it even took Brian by surprise, at the time.  I remember her was quoted as saying it sounded "like us."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx