gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:50:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Albums Ranked Worst to Best  (Read 12833 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 09:40:39 AM »

Anyone notice two officially released studio albums missing from the list?
I see Party is missing, but a loss for the other one unless you mean Stars & Stripes?

Yes. Stars & stripes, whether we like it or not, was an officially released Beach Boys album.

It was at least better than Summer In Paradise

I'm guessing the author was only factoring in albums that contained original material.

I know it's got "THE BEACH BOYS" on the album sleeve, but I don't consider Stars and Stripes to be a legit BB album.  I've always thought of it as a country tribute to TBB that features Mike, Brian, Carl, Al, and Bruce. 
I agree, though during C50 I think they included it as part of their canon, but not SIP. SIP is a half of a decent album, whereas S&S has maybe 3 decent remakes on it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 09:46:23 AM »

1. Pet Sounds
2. 'SMiLE'
3. Love You
4. Wild Honey
5. Summer Days (and Summer Nights)
6. Today
7. Friends
8. Surfin' Safari
9. That's Why God Made the Radio
10. Surf's Up
11. Carl and the Passions
12. 20/20
13. Little Deuce Coupe
14. Sunflower
15. Surfer Girl
16. All Summer Long
17. Shut Down Vol. 2
18. Party
19. Christmas Album
20. Holland
21. Smiley Smile
22. Surfin' USA
23. 15 Big Ones
24. LA
25. MIU
26. The Beach Boys
27. Keepin' the Summer Alive
28. Still Crusin'
29. Summer in Paradise

Oof....that was tough...  

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
KDS
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

I see Party is missing, but a loss for the other one unless you mean Stars & Stripes?

Yes. Stars & stripes, whether we like it or not, was an officially released Beach Boys album.

I'm guessing the author was only factoring in albums that contained original material.

I know it's got "THE BEACH BOYS" on the album sleeve, but I don't consider Stars and Stripes to be a legit BB album.  I've always thought of it as a country tribute to TBB that features Mike, Brian, Carl, Al, and Bruce. 
I agree, though during C50 I think they included it as part of their canon, but not SIP. SIP is a half of a decent album, whereas S&S has maybe 3 decent remakes on it.

I thought that was a record label issue that lead to SIP not being included in the C50 program.

For better or for worse, it's a more true BB album than the S&S album.  Granted, it's still their worst album. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »

I thought that was a record label issue that lead to SIP not being included in the C50 program.

For better or for worse, it's a more true BB album than the S&S album.  Granted, it's still their worst album. 
Not anymore than S&S being a different label (River North). Brother Entertainment released SIP, so their should not have an issue with that at all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »

Not anymore than S&S being a different label (River North). Brother Entertainment released SIP, so their should not have an issue with that at all.

Ah, I didn't know that.  I thought S&S was Capitol. 

Then, I don't know why SIP was left out. 

I ranked all 29 studio albums two summers ago.  I'll have to see if I can find the list I wrote. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »

I'd argue the #1, if only because no album called Smile was ever released. Also, SIP does have a redeeming feature - the artwork & packaging (of the US version).  Grin
A digipack plastered with a new age eco scene then more of the same inside.  Redeeming, eh? LOL

The real redeeming feature is knowing Al staged an insurrection during proceedings.  Go, Al!
A true jardineista!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »

I'd argue the #1, if only because no album called Smile was ever released. Also, SIP does have a redeeming feature - the artwork & packaging (of the US version).  Grin
A digipack plastered with a new age eco scene then more of the same inside.  Redeeming, eh? LOL

The real redeeming feature is knowing Al staged an insurrection during proceedings.  Go, Al!
A true jardineista!
I prefer "Alanista"; has a satisfyingly nice & charming ring to it.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »

Great one too! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »

Hmmmm...
- The Beach Boys on the cover
- Produced by Brian Wilson and Joe Thomas
- Exec produced by Mike Love
- bg vox mostly by Mike, Bri, Al, Bruce, Carl & current at the time member Matt (BB blood) Jardine.
- an album of BB songs + associated with BB song (Long Tall T)

But it's not a BB album because...?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »

Hmmmm...
- bg vox mostly by Mike, Bri, Al, Bruce, Carl & current at the time member Matt (BB blood) Jardine.

It's my personal treatment, is all. I know it's considered their album. It is a bit weird where you don't sing one lead on your own album. Just odd that during C50 they included it, but not SIP.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »

I thought it odd that SIP was left out of the C50 tour program. But in all the publicity, they would always say that TWGMTR was their 29th studio album, which means that they included both SIP and S&S in that count.

Hmmmm...

It's my personal treatment, is all. I know it's considered their album. It is a bit weird where you don't sing one lead on your own album. Just odd that during C50 they included it, but not SIP.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »

Hmmmm...

Really?  Because they don't sing even ONE blinkin' lead.  They DO back up a host of A and B list people paying tribute to them basically in a foreign language.  No leads.  Not the Beach Boys.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 02:30:14 AM »

Hmmmm...

Well, the BB invited the country singers to collaborate - as you would know.  I do agree it was a bit weird.

The missing SIP thing: while the tunes were owned by Bro Ent, the distribution was not - maybe that caused the problem.   My speculation is that Mike pulled for it's exclusion - I recall in the campfire vids a scene where he expressed some regret (Let's not mention that style), could be wrong, been a while since I watched it.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 02:35:15 AM »

It was at least better than Summer In Paradise.  

I know it's got "THE BEACH BOYS" on the album sleeve, but I don't consider Stars and Stripes to be a legit BB album.  I've always thought of it as a country tribute to TBB that features Mike, Brian, Carl, Al, and Bruce.  
Hmmmm...

Really?  Because they don't sing even ONE blinkin' lead.  They DO back up a host of A and B list people paying tribute to them basically in a foreign language.  No leads.  Not the Beach Boys.

They asked the Country folk to collaborate, not pay tribute.  Anyway, it is a shiteful addition to the cannon or no, we can agree it blows; I ain't here to drink the Stars & Stripes kool aid.

I think it should be included as a BB album - and then shredded as per your & drBB's issues: A Beach Boys album, while containing the harmonies and songs made legend by the unique So.Cal group and boasting Brian Wilson as a co-producer/arranger, bereft of any lead vocals by the BB's makes for a weird, baffling and dubious (based on the laying it on pretty thick liner notes) offering that may well represent their worst offering.

(PS - loved your use of "blinkin'".  Reminds me of my ex-pat English Aunty Kit, god rest her soul)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:49:33 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:56 AM »

Hmmmm...

Well, the BB invited the country singers to collaborate - as you would know.  I do agree it was a bit weird.

The missing SIP thing: while the tunes were owned by Bro Ent, the distribution was not - maybe that caused the problem.   My speculation is that Mike pulled for it's exclusion - I recall in the campfire vids a scene where he expressed some regret (Let's not mention that style), could be wrong, been a while since I watched it.
I doubt that anything to do with it. While they were with Reprise they had pictures taken with their whole catalog laying on the floor. It included many Capitol albums. So, it was either 1. Just forgotten by mistake or 2. It was conveniently forgotten on purpose.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:57 AM »

My speculation is that Mike pulled for it's exclusion - I recall in the campfire vids a scene where he expressed some regret (Let's not mention that style), could be wrong, been a while since I watched it.

I believe that was Looking Back With Love.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

My speculation is that Mike pulled for it's exclusion - I recall in the campfire vids a scene where he expressed some regret (Let's not mention that style), could be wrong, been a while since I watched it.

I believe that was Looking Back With Love.

You are quite right!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

rogerlancelot
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 10:30:23 PM »

I finally did it after years of really listening to all 30 studio albums not including Stars And Stripes Vol. 1 and made a list that I think is best to worst in my opinion:

01) SMiLE (disc 1 of TSS)
02) Pet Sounds
03) Sunflower
04) So Tough
05) Smiley Smile
06) Surf's Up
07) Love You
08) 20/20
09) Holland
10) Friends
11) Today
12) LA Album
13) All Summer Long
14) Wild Honey
15) That's Why God Made The Radio
16) Shut Down Vol. 2
17) The Beach Boys (1985)
18) Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
19) 15 Big Ones
20) Surfer Girl
21) Keepin' The Summer Alive
22) MIU
23) Little Deuce Coupe
24) Surfin' USA
25) Christmas Album
26) Stack Of Tracks
27) Still Cruisin'
28) Summer In Paradise
29) Party!
30) Surfin' Safari
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »

S&S really is a weird album when you consider that at least 2 of the Beach Boys - Carl and Al - still had great voices in 1996, but instead of them, we get mostly generic big hat country singers. 3 tracks save that album for me - the ones by Kathy Troccoli, Willie Nelson, and Timothy B. Schmit.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 12:53:28 AM »

I finally did it after years of really listening to all 30 studio albums not including Stars And Stripes Vol. 1 and made a list that I think is best to worst in my opinion:

01) SMiLE (disc 1 of TSS)
02) Pet Sounds
03) Sunflower
04) So Tough
05) Smiley Smile
06) Surf's Up
07) Love You
08) 20/20
09) Holland
10) Friends
11) Today
12) LA Album
13) All Summer Long
14) Wild Honey
15) That's Why God Made The Radio
16) Shut Down Vol. 2
17) The Beach Boys (1985)
18) Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
19) 15 Big Ones
20) Surfer Girl
21) Keepin' The Summer Alive
22) MIU
23) Little Deuce Coupe
24) Surfin' USA
25) Christmas Album
26) Stack Of Tracks
27) Still Cruisin'
28) Summer In Paradise
29) Party!
30) Surfin' Safari

Interesting list. At what point in the list (if any) do you start to 'not like' the albums?

Please delete my account
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »

I agree.  The decent half is the cover art.  The indecent half is everything else.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
KDS
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »

In regards to SIP.  I think the cover of Hot Fun in the Summertime is alright.  The title track is decent. 

Most everything else is rough, especially Summer of Love and that dreadful cover of Under the Boardwalk. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »

It was at least better than Summer In Paradise.  

I know it's got "THE BEACH BOYS" on the album sleeve, but I don't consider Stars and Stripes to be a legit BB album.  I've always thought of it as a country tribute to TBB that features Mike, Brian, Carl, Al, and Bruce.  

I agree.  The decent half is the cover art.  The indecent half is everything else.
Hey, it's only an opinion. Overall, I like it better than the 85 album. If you think it indecent, then by all means do not listen to it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:40:48 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure they didn't -- my recollection is that the cover images covered neither 90s album.
That said, one reason to include Stars & Stripes and not SIP would be that the former featured Brian and the latter didn't.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
KDS
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure they didn't -- my recollection is that the cover images covered neither 90s album.
That said, one reason to include Stars & Stripes and not SIP would be that the former featured Brian and the latter didn't.

I know the program from the C50 Tour featured every Beach Boys album cover, except SIP, and included S&S. 

Maybe Brian's management insisted that SIP be left out of the program. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx