gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:20:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live At Princeton University 1971 concert and Surfs Up Album!  (Read 4392 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:06:14 PM »

Enjoy! lots of rare goodies from this 1971 live convert with many of the songs they preformed are from there new Surf's Up album! Couple good rare sunflower songs live here too!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRW35IYlQi9te5RezGC_tSN7

Does anyone know how long they kept these tracks on the surfs up album on there set list for??? Surprised they didn't preform feels flow tho! Did Day in a life of a tree ever been played at a beach boys concert? Other wise they all have been preformed live!

Surf's Up album songs played at this November 1971 concert.

1.  "Don't Go Near the Water"
2. "Long Promised Road"  
3. "Take a Load Off Your Feet"  
4. "Disney Girls (1957)"  
5. "Student Demonstration Time"  

2. "Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)"  
5. "Surf's Up"  

Everything from side one of the album and missing Feels Flow, A Day In A Life Of A Tree and Til I Die from side two
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:08:09 PM by The_Beach » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »

I was there but 45 years takes it's toll on fine details. I know it was cold and it felt damn good to get inside and the field house was packed. It was basically the same as the Carnegie set, but for some reason, I remember how good it was to hear Al do Lookin' At Tomorrow and Carl perform Caroline No. Anyway, thanks for posting. Shame about the sound quality, though.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »

Day in the life of a tree was performed at the December 1971 long beach show with Brian on organ and rieley singing
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »

The_Beach, thank you for continuing to seek out and share these YouTube postings with the Smiley Smile Board.

The Media section of this board was created to be a section dedicated to file links such as these.  There's even a thread dedicated to YouTube postings.  You may want to consider posting links to "unofficial" recordings there.  Maybe I'm the only one, but when I see a music post in the General On Topic Discussions thread I expect it to be pertaining to an official release.

Lee
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:03:11 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »

I was there but 45 years takes it's toll on fine details. I know it was cold and it felt damn good to get inside and the field house was packed. It was basically the same as the Carnegie set, but for some reason, I remember how good it was to hear Al do Lookin' At Tomorrow and Carl perform Caroline No. Anyway, thanks for posting. Shame about the sound quality, though.
You were there?? My dad was there!! Did you live in the area?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:00:48 AM »

You were there?? My dad was there!! Did you live in the area?

Yes, we hung out at the show! Wink Can't you hear us yelling and clapping after every song? Was out of the Army for a year and was working at Sam Goody's. Fun days and nights.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »

I've had a tape of this particular recording since the late 1970s.   Was amazed, at the time, at the set list.  And for the vintage, pretty good sound quality.  Low vocals, but true ambient stereo, which is unusual in boots from that era.  Love this show.  Instruments, brass lines all very clear.  Younger fans should check this out, in terms of songs played, overall structure of the show and band reaching its live peak.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:15:05 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »

I saw them in Milwaukee on Nov 22 1971. I assume the set list was the same or very similar. I do remember it was a good show, my first actually.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »

wow this disney girls is really a gut punch of beauty... BRUCE WHAT HAPPENED?!
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »

oh man those chimes (xylophone?) at the end is so beautiful. god this is the best version ever.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »

His pre-song "register to vote" message is cool. But it's funny, considering we were coming up on Nixon v. McGovern. Based on his feelings about the current president, I can only imagine how he felt about the (far more liberal) McGovern! One wonders, was Bruce pro-Nixon?

His performance was good. The whole show is good in fact. Thanks for posting. From the little I've heard, I love that era live as much as or more than the Blondie-Ricky years.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

His pre-song "register to vote" message is cool. But it's funny, considering we were coming up on Nixon v. McGovern. Based on his feelings about the current president, I can only imagine how he felt about the (far more liberal) McGovern! One wonders, was Bruce pro-Nixon?

His performance was good. The whole show is good in fact. Thanks for posting. From the little I've heard, I love that era live as much as or more than the Blondie-Ricky years.
Encouraging registration at Princeton wouldn't likely help Nixon, though Bruce may not have known that.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »

Nixon wouldn't get a look-in now.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 04:11:39 AM »

oh man those chimes (xylophone?) at the end is so beautiful. god this is the best version ever.

Glockenspiel. Billy once said that he and Ricky Fataar took turns playing tambourine and glockenspiel on this tour.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »

Enjoy! lots of rare goodies from this 1971 live convert with many of the songs they preformed are from there new Surf's Up album! Couple good rare sunflower songs live here too!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRW35IYlQi9te5RezGC_tSN7

Does anyone know how long they kept these tracks on the surfs up album on there set list for??? Surprised they didn't preform feels flow tho! Did Day in a life of a tree ever been played at a beach boys concert? Other wise they all have been preformed live!

Surf's Up album songs played at this November 1971 concert.

1.  "Don't Go Near the Water"
2. "Long Promised Road"  
3. "Take a Load Off Your Feet"  
4. "Disney Girls (1957)"  
5. "Student Demonstration Time"  

2. "Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)"  
5. "Surf's Up"  

Everything from side one of the album and missing Feels Flow, A Day In A Life Of A Tree and Til I Die from side two

Listening to this now.  OMG.  Thanks so much.  Saw similar very fine college-university BB shows during that time.  Nothing short of amazing.  Thanks again!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 07:33:16 AM »

I haven't listened to the YouTube recording yet, but I recall that the circulating '71 Princeton audience recording was actually pretty solid-sounding for a 1971 audience recording.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 07:44:58 AM »

I haven't listened to the YouTube recording yet, but I recall that the circulating '71 Princeton audience recording was actually pretty solid-sounding for a 1971 audience recording.
Hey Jude - What are you waiting for? 

It could disappear!  Wink
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 07:58:07 AM »

For what it's worth, the Mike and Bruce BBs performed "Disney Girls" in Brooklyn's Kings Theater the other night.  It was an excellent, sweet performance and Bruce sounded fine.

I also will guess Bruce's (and many rich white guys of that era) politics have shifted since that time.  Mike for instance.  Think "Student Demonstration Time" would get consideration as a deep cut now?

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »

For what it's worth, the Mike and Bruce BBs performed "Disney Girls" in Brooklyn's Kings Theater the other night.  It was an excellent, sweet performance and Bruce sounded fine.

I also will guess Bruce's (and many rich white guys of that era) politics have shifted since that time.  Mike for instance.  Think "Student Demonstration Time" would get consideration as a deep cut now?
Heard DG the last couple of nights in NJ.  Sounds great.  I do prefer the original lyrics.  But, I don't think the Voter Registration promo was disingenuous.  The campaign was called "18 by '72" (1972) and lowered the US voting age from 21 to 18. 

No one cared what party you signed to, as long as you register to vote - so party affiliation was secondary to the process of student (and other) voter registration for empowerment to rally against the war in Vietnam. 

Those Vietnam War (some) activists have re-invented themselves and have been mobilizing the Occupy and other movements.  SDT was a very welcome #10 in my college town.  Not a BB original to be sure, but timely for the early 70's.  Anti-war music was sort of a genre.  This song, and Carl's CO status, made them contributors to that activist genre.  Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx