gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:50:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my Heroes and Villains rough mix number 1  (Read 1446 times)
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »

ok this is a rough pass at a 'late '66' version - it uses the BR part as the chorus which I'm imagining it would have shared with 'Worms'

there's no attempt to level it up or really tidy it, its an initial exercise in trying to make a flowing song out of the bits

for the 2nd BR repeat I'd prob add the 'ribbon of concrete' lyrics

the modularness is what makes this task so difficult - if I 'cheat' and use the 'iron horse' chorus as a kind of bridge it sounds fantastic and its properly arranged to segue

I could extend this by using more 'Smiley' stuff but I want to keep that to a minimum

https://soundcloud.com/spooky-music

01 Heroes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:10:09 AM by mike moseley » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »

ok this is a rough pass at a 'late '66' version - it uses the BR part as the chorus which I'm imagining it would have shared with 'Worms'

there's no attempt to level it up or really tidy it, its an initial exercise in trying to make a flowing song out of the bits

the modularness is what makes this task so difficult - if I 'cheat' and use the 'iron horse' chorus as a kind of bridge it sounds fantastic and its properly arranged to segue

I could extend this by using more 'Smiley' stuff but I want to keep that to a minimum

01 Heroes

I really like what you've got going here! I can hear some syncing problems in the second BR chorus though, you might want to try to get those better aligned. Also, for me personally, it was kind of jarring to have the original "Children Were Raised" immediately followed by the remake, I'd either choose one or the other, I'd personally go with the remake! But other than that, I think the structure sounds really nice, I could totally imagine Brian putting something like this together back then!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »

cheers for the input Smiley  yeah its very rough, lots of tidying to do

in what way does the 'my children' bit jar for you..?  I think it works musically but would be better if I can get rid of the piano - I might change my mind tomo but I tried it different ways and this way seems structurally the strongest

its hard to cut into the slower 'children' from BR, you have to let BR taper out first and that brings the tempo down too much for me, the song has to almost stop and its stop/start that I'm trying to get away from

01 Heroes

I really like what you've got going here! I can hear some syncing problems in the second BR chorus though, you might want to try to get those better aligned. Also, for me personally, it was kind of jarring to have the original "Children Were Raised" immediately followed by the remake, I'd either choose one or the other, I'd personally go with the remake! But other than that, I think the structure sounds really nice, I could totally imagine Brian putting something like this together back then!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »

cheers for the input Smiley  yeah its very rough, lots of tidying to do

in what way does the 'my children' bit jar for you..?  I think it works musically but would be better if I can get rid of the piano - I might change my mind tomo but I tried it different ways and this way seems structurally the strongest

its hard to cut into the slower 'children' from BR, you have to let BR taper out first and that brings the tempo down too much for me, the song has to almost stop and its stop/start that I'm trying to get away from

01 Heroes

I guess it's just because they're pretty much the same thing lyrically, hearing "my children were raised, you know they suddenly rise" and then hearing the same exact lyrics just seconds later just doesn't sound that right to me, if that makes any sense!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

got you - well at the moment I like the reiteration but I'll see what I think once I've slept on it

[/quote]

I guess it's just because they're pretty much the same thing lyrically, hearing "my children were raised, you know they suddenly rise" and then hearing the same exact lyrics just seconds later just doesn't sound that right to me, if that makes any sense!
[/quote]
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

I use both "children were raised" sections in my own version, as I think one gives "closure" to the other as the nearly six minute story progresses. That said, I also think the two lines back to back sound odd, especially since they're so piecemeal.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 01:12:27 AM »

yeah I'll try it another way - one of the problems is the ambience of the different clips, its hard to get them to sonically match up

MCWR fast works better coming out of BR so I'll take out the slower one and figure out something else to go in there - the 'boys and girls' backing of slow MCWR would work sonically but may be to abstract - the slow 'I've been in this town' from Smiley would also work

Cantina could also go there but its not my favourite piece:  I love the piano backing and the melody from 'walzed in the warmth...' but the opening lines melody I'm not that keen on, its one of the very few Brian melodies where I think he could have done better

I use both "children were raised" sections in my own version, as I think one gives "closure" to the other as the nearly six minute story progresses. That said, I also think the two lines back to back sound odd, especially since they're so piecemeal.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 05:30:10 AM »

01 Heroes

Great stuff Mike! I especially love the transition between second BR chorus and Barnyard!
Never was a big fan of Barnyard section but with only background vocals and all those "animals" really makes decent fade..
I think I'll use it that way in my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx