gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:10:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show us your own Beach Boys album cover designs!  (Read 14020 times)
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 01:46:37 AM »

Some the images (good and bad) i've come up with over the years - some of which, scarily, circulate quite freely these days...

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:18:08 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, so now that I have an account, I might as well do it now!  Grin

These were created as a part of a Visual Communications class in High School. We were tasked with making album covers of our own design. The other kids were re-creating modern albums, but here I am working with The Beach Boys, Dennis Wilson, Chicago and Pink Floyd!

Out of the 42 different variations (from 10 albums) I produced, this once was selected to be in our School Corporation's Art Show. (It didn't place.)

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »

Here is one my son made for me:

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 10:09:49 PM »

The next time Capitol wants to put out a BBs comp, they should ask you guys to do the cover art. Seriously. Why did the 50th anniversary cd have to show them from the back? C'mon, we know they're old, we don't mind seeing a few wrinkles on those faces.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »

This one isn't mine, and is in fact not even the BBs, but it's partially inspired by the BBs. But this is an interesting one mocked up for one of Bruce Spizer's Beatles books, showing an idea of what the Beatles' "Hollywood Bowl" live album might have looked like had it been released in 1964. It looks like they used both the Beatles' "Something New" album and the "Beach Boys' Concert" album as a template/inspiration:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 08:27:56 AM »

The "Lei'd In Hawaii" and "Reverberation" covers I think are the most impressive in terms of looking like something that really would have been released in the 60s.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »

LOve the dysfunctional Landlocked cover
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »

A few changes to the tracklist

Again: changes to the tracklisting

Almost Summer ought to have been on this one. There was a companion CD: 15 Big Rock'n'Roll Ones with the covers from 15BO and the various outtakes. One day I'll put together another version with a slightly broader time scheme.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:50:01 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »

This one isn't mine, and is in fact not even the BBs, but it's partially inspired by the BBs. But this is an interesting one mocked up for one of Bruce Spizer's Beatles books, showing an idea of what the Beatles' "Hollywood Bowl" live album might have looked like had it been released in 1964. It looks like they used both the Beatles' "Something New" album and the "Beach Boys' Concert" album as a template/inspiration:

I love this! If Capitol/Apple ever gets around to doing a Hollywood Bowl cd, this is the cover they should use.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, so now that I have an account, I might as well do it now!  Grin

These were created as a part of a Visual Communications class in High School. We were tasked with making album covers of our own design. The other kids were re-creating modern albums, but here I am working with The Beach Boys, Dennis Wilson, Chicago and Pink Floyd!

Out of the 42 different variations (from 10 albums) I produced, this once was selected to be in our School Corporation's Art Show. (It didn't place.)

Welcome, pdas1996! And these are gorgeous. I'm sorry I didn't see them sooner.
Congratulations on the selection for the art show.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 08:48:22 PM »

Almost Summer ought to have been on this one. There was a companion CD: 15 Big Rock'n'Roll Ones with the covers from 15BO and the various outtakes. One day I'll put together another version with a slightly broader time scheme.
Really like this tracklisting!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 10:37:58 AM »

I really like the idea of a final Beach Boys or Brian Wilson album going full circle with a cover that references the 'Surfin' Safari' cover. Like a "this is where the journey that started with 'Surfin' Safari' ends" thing.

I absolutely love that Going Home cover! 
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »

Wonderful job, pdas1996!  The ring wear on the bottom three covers is a nice touch.  If I were your teacher, I'd have given you an A on each one.

Lots of other great ones in this thread.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »

Wow, I get very emotional when I look at that Going Home cover. That would've been great for NPP for TWGMTR.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, so now that I have an account, I might as well do it now!  Grin

Wonderful job, pdas1996!  The ring wear on the bottom three covers is a nice touch.  If I were your teacher, I'd have given you an A on each one.

Lots of other great ones in this thread.

Thanks. At that time, I had produced 42 variations of 10 albums:
- 3 versions of Sunflower (the one posted, 2 of another and 8 of a third)
- 2 versions of Surf's Up (the sunset and another of the other)
- 7 of Surfin' USA (all leading up to the one posted)
- 6 of California Feeling (variations of what's posted)
- 1 Wild Honey
- 3 Pacific Ocean Blue (two are spelled Blues)
- 2 of 20/20 (Never went past the idea stage.)
- 1 for Johnny Cash's Out Among the Stars
- 2 for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
- 2 for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here
- 2 for a new imaginary Chicago album "XXXVII/Skylines and Sunsets"

After I graduated, I got creative and made (for personal use):
single covers for:
-- Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" b/w "Milk Cow"
-- "God Only Knows" b/w "Wouldn't It Be Nice", based on the Italian single release (my favorite)
and replacement labels for:
-- "Elenore" b/w "Surfer Dan" (The Turtles)
-- "Hitchin' a Ride" b/w "Man Child" (Vanity Fare)
-- "Green-Eyed Lady" b/w "West of Tomorrow" (Sugarloaf)
-- The Beatles' "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" LP (with song titles)

Have a look at 'em: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdas1996/albums/72157664802215413
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:21:13 PM by pdas1996 » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 02:21:55 AM »

Found it!

Hah nice. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. Thanks mate - methinks I'll paste this into my Smile cover art. I dig the foresty-looking design as well. Very original.

Wonderful design. These are the feathers from the Church of the American Indian-Indian Wisdom. Slightly divergent, I love the explanation (direct from VDP or outside interpretation-can't remember) of the Bicycle Rider lyric being indicative of the card decks of poker-playing cowboys and sharpies expanding Westward and displacing the Native Americans in their wake.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:22:52 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 02:23:57 AM »

Here is one my son made for me:

EXCELLENT.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:26:59 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 02:25:38 AM »

Ooh perfect, I've wasted more than enough time making crudely photoshopped Beach Boys covers. They're so much fun to do! Haven't made any in a while though. Sad

All great, really love the Smile in this group too. Thanks, Dudd, and thanks everyone for sharing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:27:37 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:18 PM »

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 09:30:53 PM »