gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:56:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if The Beach Boys Love You was scrapped?  (Read 17941 times)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »

After listening to Love You boots, I pondered this question out loud.  What if the only source of this project was from bootlegs?  What if the record company rejected it?  What would happen to the Beach Boy dynamic, and so on.  What do you guys think?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 03:41:43 PM »

I don't think it would have mattered much, with the exception of removing a cult favorite of hardcore fans. The band went on to dramatically change course with MIU as it was, so to have not had that one real outlier? Well, I don't see much of a difference. Either way, they go pretty hard on the nostalgia trip.

As for the band's own dynamics in such a circumstance, I can't say.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »

I think Love You was a spike in the group's coffin.  WAIT!!!  How many songs were there?  Make it THAT many spikes in the group's coffin.  Gawd!!!  Even 15 itsy bitsy/tennie weenie little-uns gave us 2 hits.

Love You?  Not with that crap.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »

To the mainstream media and public, The Beach Boys newest studio album releases were pretty irrelevant from the mid-70s onwards. Well, up until their 2012 album. I personally love the album although I can see why it comes off as quite strange to certain parts of the fanbase. I'm a huge fan of the quirky stuff. Same goes for Adult/Child, although THAT would have been a weird album to release as a Beach Boys record!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »

I think Love You was a spike in the group's coffin.  WAIT!!!  How many songs were there?  Make it THAT many spikes in the group's coffin.  Gawd!!!  Even 15 itsy bitsy/tennie weenie little-uns gave us 2 hits.

Agreed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

To the mainstream media and public, The Beach Boys newest studio album releases were pretty irrelevant from the mid-70s onwards. Well, up until their 2012 album. I personally love the album although I can see why it comes off as quite strange to certain parts of the fanbase. I'm a huge fan of the quirky stuff. Same goes for Adult/Child, although THAT would have been a weird album to release as a Beach Boys record!
The difference being, Love You followed up a top 10, gold album - which sold primarily on the premise 'Brian's Back" and the momentum built up by Endless Summer and Spirit of America. If they had come out with really strong, contemporary albums in 76/77, their commercial success could have continued for years. Instead, the public got damaged goods from a not-back-yet-Brian and co.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:19:23 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up The first spike was Smiley Smile. They certainly did not need another one but LY did the job so well.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.

Couldn't agree more. The album's even more refreshing in light of them spending the next couple of decades trying to rehash their early surf records to mostly diminishing results.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.

Webster's Dictionary has that exact same definition for  the word turd....a masterpiece...etc...open hearted...etc...schizoaffective...etc...piece of crap...I think is how it really ends.

Ever wonder why the Beach Boys...and when I say the Beach Boys I mean...Brian Wilson...Mike and Bruce as currently licensed...and the group way back in the day...so seldom performed any of Love You live...in concert?

'Cause it just plain sucked and nobody wanted to hear it.

So to retroactively come at it from a different time and place and then subsequently try to elevate Love You above the afore mentioned turd is a re-write of reality.  You like it?  Groovy.  Use it to help your garden grow this spring. Wink
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:21:24 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »

It would have set back the 70s farty synth sound
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 07:35:50 PM »

I think you'll find a lot of fans who disagree with that, Add Some. In fact i'd say the proto synth-pop of the album was much more in tune with the zeitgeist of the time than many of their contemporaries. It's true, in a way Brian's new cocaine fueled voice would have been viewed as awful back then. But I couldn't not have this record in their discography. It's far too unique. It has honesty and simplicity in it. It's got more heart than most albums. Certainly more than anything the Beach Boys recorded after 1978 up until 2012.

Even Peter Buck has said it's his favourite BB's album, and he's certainly got an ear for melody!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:36:41 PM by SamMcK » Logged
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a masterpiece. An open-hearted, synthesized, psychedelic, test-of-time-standing, schizoaffective-punk  masterpiece.

Webster's Dictionary has that exact same definition for  the word turd....a masterpiece...etc...open hearted...etc...schizoaffective...etc...piece of crap...I think is how it really ends.

Ever wonder why the Beach Boys...and when I say the Beach Boys I mean...Brian Wilson...Mike and Bruce as currently licensed...and the group way back in the day...so seldom performed any of Love You live...in concert?

'Cause it just plain sucked and nobody wanted to hear it.

So to retroactively come at it from a different time and place and then subsequently try to elevate Love You above the afore mentioned turd is a re-write of reality.  You like it?  Groovy.  Use it to help your garden grow this spring. Wink

Sounds to me like you're an MIU, LA Light, and KTSA fan.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »

What if the The Beach Boys Love You album was scrapped?
Beach Boys fans would have one less thing to fight about. That's about it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:31 PM »

It would become just another legendary unreleased album in the Beach Boys canon.  But given how ineffective it was on its release, I don't think it would have changed anything for the band.  Besides, look what came after it.  They were going downhill one way or another.

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »

Hah - same goes for Smiley Smile. And if Smile weren't unreleased this board would've probably never taken off the ground. Good thing history happened the way that it did... we may have not even existed.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 09:06:46 PM »

Ifs and buts, and candies and nuts, but I've always believed that if Brian's voice had not deteriorated to such a degree, Love You would have been more universally accepted. Some of the leads on side two really separate the casual fan from the hard cores.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:05:07 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »

Love You was a few years ahead of its time. I think it's an early new wave album in the vein of Safety Dance, Rock Lobster, Our House, Cars (Gary Numan), etc. Perhaps my favorite Beach Boys album right now!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 01:46:22 AM »

I'm surprised the record company didn't reject it.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 02:24:11 AM »

Naw... then the rows here over the 'demos that were never released' would be like "those terrible vocals... Brian would NEVER let tracks like that go out... he would have redone all of those with super-smooth banks of harmony like in 1965. Everyone knows that the vocals on 15 Big Ones is the aberration... and they only came out like that because Carl and Mike called time on the record and forced Brian to put it out. Just listen to the tag of the 'I'll Bet He's Nice' demo. That's how it *would* have been done throughout. And those awful farting synths? Ah, come ON!! That was just Brian getting songs down quickly in the home studio with whatever was to hand. If the album had been PROPERLY finished, he'd have got the Wrecking Crew into Gold Star to really do the songs the justice they deserve... and he'd have rewritten those bloody awful demo lyrics for tracks like Solar System too, while he was at it. There's demo lyrics if EVER I heard them..."

We're Beach Boys fans. There is ALWAYS something to argue about.

Oh, and Solar System *rocks* as is. But that's just MY opinion...!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 05:38:55 AM »

I think he was totally into that very synth sound. Listen to Funky Pretty, Child of Winter, the Spring album, much of 15 Big Ones. Love You was the next logical step. I'm glad it doesn't sound like Pet Sounds or Summer Days, although I do love those records as much as anyone. Love You is not perfect and I don't think it was ever meant to be perfect. It was meant, however, to be honest, raw, and thoroughly moving.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 05:47:54 AM »

Love You was a few years ahead of its time. I think it's an early new wave album in the vein of Safety Dance, Rock Lobster, Our House, Cars (Gary Numan), etc. Perhaps my favorite Beach Boys album right now!

I pretty much agree with this! I grew up on 80s music and Germany had its own brand of new wave music (Neue Deutsch Welle) and often the lyrics of those songs wouldn't have been out of place on Love You in terms of both sentiment and execution. This stuff wasn't meant to be Blonde on Blonde, guys. The BB had their 'great lyrics' phase when they did Pet Sounds, Smile, and later on, maybe Holland.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »

I can't help but observe that anytime someone praises Love You, it's mostly because the albums before and after are so lousy.  I can even see that, reading this thread. 

What if Love You came out right after, say, Sunflower?  Would it still be the cat's whiskers?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »

I can't help but observe that anytime someone praises Love You, it's mostly because the albums before and after are so lousy.  I can even see that, reading this thread. 

What if Love You came out right after, say, Sunflower?  Would it still be the cat's whiskers?

In my case, I praise Love You because it's better than any other Beach Boys album except Smiley Smile. More inventive, more interesting, more honest, more *strange*. It's worth a thousand Sunflowers (an album I think is as overrated as Love You is underrated)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »

In my case, I praise Love You because it's better than any other Beach Boys album except Smiley Smile. More inventive, more interesting, more honest, more *strange*. It's worth a thousand Sunflowers (an album I think is as overrated as Love You is underrated)

Ok, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then!  Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx