gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:01:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monkees 50th anniversay - new album  (Read 9519 times)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »

Some very interesting news on the Monkees - a new 2016 tour (perhaps with or without Nez) but very intriguing news on a new album. Some front line songwriters as well as deep tracks/sessions from Nilsson, Diamond and Carole King. Sounds very cool.

http://substreammagazine.com/2016/02/the-monkees-new-album-will-have-songs-written-by-rivers-cuomo-and-ben-gibbard/

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »

I read elsewhere--and I am failing to recall the specifics of where, giving myself no credibility whatsoever--that Nesmith was not going to be involved.

It is kind of interesting, though. Could turn out pretty cool. Or horrible. We'll see.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about just Tork and Dolenz calling themselves The Monkees though I suppose the Monkees as a duo has been done before (Dolenz and Jones on the Changes album).  This does sound intriguing either way.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about just Tork and Dolenz calling themselves The Monkees though I suppose the Monkees as a duo has been done before (Dolenz and Jones on the Changes album).  This does sound intriguing either way.

Well, ya got Mike and Bruce calling themselves the Beach Boys. Atleast the Monkees have 50% original members touring. BBs 20%.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:56:08 PM »

The Rolling Stone article mentioned that Nez wouldn't be participating in the full tour, although Mickey remained hopeful he may participate in a few choice dates. Album wise, at least Davey will be represented on the Neil Diamond track. Looking forward to the album.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:58:12 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »

I am a Monkees fan, been one most of my life, but I'm not a fan of 2 of them going out as The Monkees. 3 of them? Sure, that was okay in the 80s 90s - Nez didn't want to be there. Nez has always had mixed feelings about the whole Monkees phenomenon, so really not surprised he's not touring with them and may or may not be on the new album. But there comes a time when you need to hang it up. No, I don't like the idea of Mike and Bruce touring as the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys were Mike, Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, and either David or Bruce or ..well, there are a few options there, but there should be a core of the group together if the band name is used. The Monkees will always be Micky Davy Peter Mike. Who is going to sing Davy's songs? Or for that matter, Mike's songs? I thought what they did in 96/97 was the right approach - do an album of all new material, with the guys themselves writing, playing and singing; but a lot of fans did not like that album. I thought it was great they did the tv special - but a lot of fans did not like that, either. And I was glad Micky, Davy and Peter went ahead with the tour that year, even after Nez bailed on them. But now they are verging on self-parody. I remember the guys getting asked back in 1986 if the reunion was a one time thing, or would they continue, and Micky joked they would be onstage for the 50th anniversary, with canes and rocking chairs. Now it is coming true.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:24 AM »

New Single  - She Makes Me Laugh, Written by Rivers Cuomo from Weezer - is out, and is great! Micky on lead, Nez and Tork on backing vocals, and Tork on Banjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpp-Ry2ZNhY

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 04:25:22 AM »

The Mike/Micky/Peter tours of 2012-13-14 were terrific; it's too bad Nesmith is not on board in 2016 but maybe he'll pop up.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »

The Mike/Micky/Peter tours of 2012-13-14 were terrific; it's too bad Nesmith is not on board in 2016 but maybe he'll pop up.

It'll be good if he does.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »

New Single  - She Makes Me Laugh, Written by Rivers Cuomo from Weezer - is out, and is great! Micky on lead, Nez and Tork on backing vocals, and Tork on Banjo

It is surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting much out of this reunion, just seemed silly to me that Nez waited until Davy died to get back together with the guys. But if the rest of the album is as good as this track, I might get a copy.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »

Mike is also about to put out a book, I believe. You should check him out on Facebook, he posts about once a week or so.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »

I'm guessing it's not an autobio, though. He's written at least one other book.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

Whoah! There's a new Andy Partridge song on this new album that sounds exactly like XTC:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/02/monkees-you-bring-summer-xtc

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 01:56:42 AM »

Reading the blurb

'Andy Partridge of Swedish punk rockers XTC'

Swedish Huh Try Swindon, and Punk ?? What !!!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 09:34:51 PM »

the song is great!!! what is the lineup? Is that Mike on the 12 string.  If Mike is on this, how can one fear he is not involved?

edit: from the amazon description:  GOOD TIMES! finds all three surviving band members (Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork) taking turns on lead vocals, playing a wide range of instruments, and sharing new compositions. The unmistakable voice of the late Davy Jones is also included with a vintage vocal on the Neil Diamond-penned "Love To Love."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:12:56 PM by the professor » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »

No one seems too interested in this discussion of the monkeys. But I have to say that the two Monkees songs released so far are better than their equivalents that the Beach Boys released in 2012. No one was more of an apologist or an advocate of the Beach Boys album and work. And I love those amazing songs that Brian and L and Mike saying that were part of the suite. But in terms of overall production and pop quality, The Beach Boys did not come up with anything this good I have to say.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »

For me, the Monkees ended with the 97 reunion. Hard to top that, an album of all new material written, sung and played by all 4; a tv special featuring all 4; a very good documentary about the group for Disney Channel; and a tour featuring all four...but of course Nez had to bail before they came to the US. I wasn't interested in seeing Davy, Micky and Peter touring a few years back, not at the prices those venues were charging. Not interested in Micky, Peter and Mike touring, either. But with some new music - finally....definitely going to check out this new album.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »

New Single  - She Makes Me Laugh, Written by Rivers Cuomo from Weezer - is out, and is great! Micky on lead, Nez and Tork on backing vocals, and Tork on Banjo

It is surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting much out of this reunion, just seemed silly to me that Nez waited until Davy died to get back together with the guys. But if the rest of the album is as good as this track, I might get a copy.

Rivers has his mojo back in the last 2-3 years, so it's not surprising
Weezer - Endless Bummer

No one seems too interested in this discussion of the monkeys. But I have to say that the two Monkees songs released so far are better than their equivalents that the Beach Boys released in 2012. No one was more of an apologist or an advocate of the Beach Boys album and work. And I love those amazing songs that Brian and L and Mike saying that were part of the suite. But in terms of overall production and pop quality, The Beach Boys did not come up with anything this good I have to say.

They were smart to get someone like Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne to produce it and in their choice of modern pop/rock songwriters.

Imagine the Beach Boys 2012 album or Brian's 2015 album with folks like Schlesinger, Cuomo, etc co-writing a couple songs each with Brian and one of them co-producing the record.

Real lost opportunity that we got two Joe Thomas albums instead.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:44:49 PM by Fro » Logged
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 07:52:44 PM »

All of these new Monkees tracks sound amazing to me. Stripped back production, enjoyable, fun songs. Who ever is leading the way on this record needs to get in touch with Brian and co. I don't hear any other 60s artists these days sounding nearly as good as these Monkees tunes.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »

I don't like "She Makes Me Laugh" too much; I was expecting to like "You Bring the Summer" more than I actually did (I suppose I had high expectations for Andy Partridge); I am pleasantly surprised by "Me and Magdalena." The pitch correction really bugs me, though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:55:00 PM by Bubs » Logged
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »

The pitch correction really bugs me, though.

It bugs me too, although at least it isn't as prevalent as, er, other records we know.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

Hey, wow, such good reviews. I don't know much of their deep cuts but I'm willing to get time for this. As usual in my case, youtube gets superslow at the "right" time. Will check later & maybe write short review.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »

All of these new Monkees tracks sound amazing to me. Stripped back production, enjoyable, fun songs. Who ever is leading the way on this record needs to get in touch with Brian and co. I don't hear any other 60s artists these days sounding nearly as good as these Monkees tunes.

Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne

60s pop's in his wheel house
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »

Wow, "Me & Magdalena" is gorgeous
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »

"Magdalena" is a winner. Great to hear Nesmith and Dolenz in harmony.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx