gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 18 Years Later  (Read 2274 times)
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »

Tomorrow (Feb. 6) will mark the 18th anniversary of the death of Carl Wilson.

Not trying to beat anyone to the punch, but I will be nowhere near a computer/the Internet tomorrow. So I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I still miss the man and his music. How great it would be to see Carl back on stage and making music with his partners just one more time.

I suspect Carl would be proud to know that his music and his life are still making an amazing impact on so many people so many years after his death.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »

Carl will never be forgotten not only for his remarkable talent but because of the person he was.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

Thanks for everything, Carl.  I would have been honored to meet you and shake your hand.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:59:14 PM »

Carl, I hope that when my time comes I can shake you by the hand, and hear you sing again.

Then I'll know for sure I'm in Heaven.

“We live in divisive times.”
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:57:52 AM »

The only thing I think Carl ever wanted to do was really rock out on his guitar.  Instead I feel like he ended up living other peoples' dreams and ultimately taking over for Brian.  Not saying he didn't enjoy all (or most) of it, but, a part of me is a little sad thinking he didn't get to play the kind of music he really wanted to play.  He lovingly took a back seat to both his brothers, while virtually running the show behind the scenes.

Once an angel among us, now an angel above us.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »

The only thing I think Carl ever wanted to do was really rock out on his guitar.  Instead I feel like he ended up living other peoples' dreams and ultimately taking over for Brian.  Not saying he didn't enjoy all (or most) of it, but, a part of me is a little sad thinking he didn't get to play the kind of music he really wanted to play.  He lovingly took a back seat to both his brothers, while virtually running the show behind the scenes.

I do agree he spent most of his live helping other people, mainly Brian, bring their musical pictures to life. But he did venture from the safety of the group for a couple years in the 80's to give us 2 solo albums. Still, I don't think he ever had a burning ambition to be "Carl Wilson, solo star". He did a lot more than the casual fan is aware of, but us diehards know what he did.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »

I'm sure it's quite possible that Carl felt restrained in some ways. But, setting aside the idea that he could have left the group and done his own thing on a more permanent basis, I'd say even while touring with the group, there could have been enough downtime to do his own music. I don't sense that he appeared to have a *strong* burning desire to write, record, and release a lot of solo stuff. I would think some time between 1983 and 1998, we would have seen more "non-Beach Boys" releases from him if he had that strong desire. It's true that such a project wouldn't have left him with much time to squeeze in actually *touring* outside of the Beach Boys.

The sense I've always had is that while he was full of motivation in the early 80s to do his own stuff live and in the studio (coinciding with despair over the state of the touring BB band), by the later 80s and certainly into the 90s, he became resigned (or content perhaps if we want to put a positive spin on it) to touring the same hits year after year, not recording much regularly as a group, and also not doing a ton of solo stuff.

I'd love to be proven wrong and would love to see an album full of demos Carl cut through all those years that we've never known about. But after the "Like a Brother" album came out (which itself apparently was a years-in-progress project even with Carl only writing and singing some of it), we never saw much else in terms of anything Carl wrote or recorded outside of the Beach Boys (or even stuff he may have done with an eye towards the BBs but which the BBs never recorded). Outside of BB outtakes, what Carl material has surfaced? The "This is Elvis" track from around 1980, a few vocal cameo tracks on Al's stuff (which might as well have been BB stuff back when originally recorded), the odd backing vocal here and there (the Angeloff track), and not much else, right?

Listening to his backing vocals on Tom Petty's "Hung Up and Overdue", it makes me long for more of that sort of stuff and kind of sad there isn't much like that around (guest spots or actual Carl tracks).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

It also seems – to me, at least – that Carl may have devoted much more time and effort to making his second marriage a success.  He obviously loved Annie and his two sons, but much of that period of his life was spent on the road, and his marriage likely suffered as a result.  Although the Boys continued to tour after Carl and Gina were married in 1987, Gina, it seems, was his constant companion, whether he was close to home or on tour with the band.

Perhaps his songwriting and any plans for a prolonged solo career took a back seat to his family life, at least from around 1986 until his death in 1998.
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »

Yes, I agree with everything posted.  I just think once Brian took leave of the band, Carl got sucked into leading things, and that would have been the time when his guitar playing was at it's most passionate.  Dealing with all the personalities in the band and those surrounding the band, the downward spiral of Dennis, the incarceration (by Landy) of Brian, and being there for Audree and the various nieces and nephews that needed him, probably emotionally drained the poor guy.  It is a comfort that his beautiful voice will be with us forever, as well as a few kick-ass guitar highlights.  He never displayed anything other than sheer appreciation for the life he was afforded by being a part of the Beach Boys.   
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »

One of Carl's other great legacies was the sheer volume, beauty and skill with which he provided backing vocals for other artists - Although I haven't counted, I would suggest there'd be around 100 guest vocals out there for other artists.

I might be over-estimating the number, but not the quality of these.

Notable among these are "Don't Let The Sun Go Down" for Elton John. I think there were quite a few others that became hits . . . "Wishing You Were Here" (Chicago), "California Girls" (David Lee Roth) come to mind.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 11:26:55 PM »

Carl sang on several albums by America, including a couple overlooked 90's albums they did on small labels. Their 1994 release "Hourglass" is really worth checking out - Carl sings the chorus on one song, "Garden of Peace", and his bv's are all over the other songs. There's one song that Gerry Beckley wrote on that album, "Close to the Wind", that to my years, sounds like a latter day "Feel Flows' - and Steve Levine co-produced it.
I do agree that in the second half of the 80's, and through to the end of his life, Carl probably was more focused on his family life. I think he really had his priorities straight there. Hit records are nice, but the Beach Boys had so many of those, they really didn't need any more. Yes, it would have been nice for us fans if he'd done more solo records, more collaborations outside the BB's, or even - imagine this! - been able to motivate the other guys to care more about their recording career. But some things in life are more important than that.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 04:59:58 PM »

Carl seemed like a wonderful man and he is missed. What an amazing voice.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx