gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:16:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson Interview from Australian Paper  (Read 4014 times)
KDS
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »

This is a very interesting interview.  

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/30735864/beach-boys-legend-brian-wilson-surfs-back-to-good-vibrations/

Especially this.............

Led by Wilson’s cousin Mike Love, the Beach Boys now tour the world without him — they played Perth in November — a fact that doesn’t seem to overly bother the most famous Beach Boy.

“I’m glad that he can keep the Beach Boys name alive,” Wilson says. “He licensed the Beach Boys name. He has the name and he goes out with Bruce Johnston and a guy called Jeff Foskett. So, they’re the Beach Boys.”
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:44:48 AM by KDS » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »

I've once lain around in Austria too. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »

Hi all,

Thank you you kds for posting this.  Thank you Brian for saying what you did about Mike and TBB name.  Now onto enjoying music!!!
KDS
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

Oops.  Fixed the typo.

Thanks
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »

And now we know that our fellow board mate, Ray Lawlor is helping Brian with the upcoming book.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »

Congratulations, Ray!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »

Nice article, but boy, when are they going to get the facts straight on Pet Sounds? This "Written, produced and arranged almost entirely by Wilson with little input from the other Beach Boys" stuff drives me crazy every time I read about Pet Sounds. To my ears there is quite a bit of input from the other Beach Boys or am I having audible hallucinations?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:34 AM »

Nice article, but boy, when are they going to get the facts straight on Pet Sounds? This "Written, produced and arranged almost entirely by Wilson with little input from the other Beach Boys" stuff drives me crazy every time I read about Pet Sounds. To my ears there is quite a bit of input from the other Beach Boys or am I having audible hallucinations?

Vocally, the other Boys are all over the album.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:21 AM »

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/30735864/beach-boys-legend-brian-wilson-surfs-back-to-good-vibrations/

Led by Wilson’s cousin Mike Love, the Beach Boys now tour the world without him — they played Perth in November — a fact that doesn’t seem to overly bother the most famous Beach Boy.

“I’m glad that he can keep the Beach Boys name alive,” Wilson says. “He licensed the Beach Boys name. He has the name and he goes out with Bruce Johnston and a guy called Jeff Foskett. So, they’re the Beach Boys.”

While it's interesting to see Brian broach the subject, Brian has never really badmouthed Mike or Mike's touring band. He's used the "keeping the name alive" line numerous times. While Brian has never energetically endorsed Mike's tour, he has always shortly and simply, often I suppose somewhat dispassionately, said something along these lines.

Even in the acrimony of the end of C50, Brian didn't say anything negative about Mike's tour, but simply lamented not continuing the reunion.

Fans certainly seem to care about Mike using the name and whatnot more than Brian does.

Brian continues to take the high road when asked about Mike. Certain other members could learn something I'd say.

Much more interesting is that Ray Lawlor is helping Brian with his book. Curious to find out in what capacity (e.g. researcher, co-author, etc.)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »

Right! Except for less writing credit for Mike, this album was written, arranged & produced the same way as Today, Summer Days..., or any other Beach Boys album from 1963 forward.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »

While it's interesting to see Brian broach the subject, Brian has never really badmouthed Mike or Mike's touring band. He's used the "keeping the name alive" line numerous times. While Brian has never energetically endorsed Mike's tour, he has always shortly and simply, often I suppose somewhat dispassionately, said something along these lines.

Even in the acrimony of the end of C50, Brian didn't say anything negative about Mike's tour, but simply lamented not continuing the reunion.

Fans certainly seem to care about Mike using the name and whatnot more than Brian does.

Brian continues to take the high road when asked about Mike. Certain other members could learn something I'd say.

Much more interesting is that Ray Lawlor is helping Brian with his book. Curious to find out in what capacity (e.g. researcher, co-author, etc.)
We care about a lot of things more than the guys, themselves. Which is why I never understood why we fight about it with such vigor, instead of just discussing it rationally.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:10:25 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »

Right! Except for less writing credit for Mike, this album was written, arranged & produced the same way as Today, Summer Days..., or any other Beach Boys album from 1963 forward.

True, at least for mid 60s, until Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Al, and Mike got a little more involved.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »

True, at least for mid 60s, until Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Al, and Mike got a little more involved. 
They just make it sound like Brian did this like a one-off specialty album, when in fact this is what he did with all of their albums from 1963-1966.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 11:14:22 AM »

They just make it sound like Brian did this like a one-off specialty album, when in fact this is what he did with all of their albums from 1963-1966.

True, and I think there's a myth that the Beach Boys went right from surf/car songs to Pet Sounds when, in reality, the songs from Today and SDSN showed an evolution to Pet Sounds. 
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »

"A guy called Jeff Foskett" is such a Brianism  LOL
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »

Yeah, nice to hear that Ray Lawlor is involved, but does anyone know anything about "at least one co-author hired and fired?"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 07:09:47 PM »

Yeah, nice to hear that Ray Lawlor is involved, but does anyone know anything about "at least one co-author hired and fired?"
Maybe they refer to Jason Fine. It was discussed in one of BW autobiography threads.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »

Well, not quite...Dennis, Carl, Al, David (and Brian) actually played most of the instruments on Beach Boys records until 1965, and even then, they played most of the instruments on at least a few cuts per album. Pet Sounds, on the other hand, was studio musicians on every instrument on almost every cut.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 10:16:05 PM »

The original co-author was Jason Fine: Amazon US currently lists as collaborator one Ben Greenman (born 1969), a contributor to New Yorker and ghostwriter for such showbiz figures as Gene Simmons, George Clinton and Simon Cowell. He's also a novelist in his own right.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »

Sad what's become of Brian and Jeff but that was a funny line  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »

"I'm starting to feel like I was made for these times now".  I love it. (Well, Brian, in any event, you were certainly made for our times.)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »

Hi all,

Drbeachboy I like what you said that we care more about these things than the guys do.  That is 100% correct!!!  People like to fight.  I know that some think that since this is online they can be more free with words.  I do hope that now we can listen to the music and think about how much we like the songs. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »

Oops.  Fixed the typo.

Thanks

But now my post is absolutely pointless!  Cry

Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx