-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Super Bowl
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Super Bowl  (Read 3800 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »

Hi all,

The Super Bowl is on Sunday.  I may or may not watch it.  I will want to see how sings the National Anthem and the performers at halftime.  Yet I was never really into it unless the teams were from NYS, Pa or Ma.  As an east coast person I should cheer for Carolina.  Yet I would rather read a book or watch a movie. 

Happy Viewing Everyone!!!
KDS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »

Mary,

Lady Gaga is singing the Anthem.  Coldplay is playing halftime, with Beyonce and Bruno Mars. 

As a huge fan of the NFL, I'll be watching.  I'm not really a fan or detractor of either team.  I'm just glad the Patriots and Steelers didn't make it. 

In Denver wins, then Peyton Manning will likely retire as a winner.

In Carolina wins, a franchise gets their first championship.  And a young star in Cam Newton gets his first ring. 

I'm a Ravens fan, and there are Ravens ties on both sides.  Denver is coached by Gary Kubiak, the Ravens offensive coordinator last year.  Owen Daniels is a TE for Denver, and he played for the Ravens last season.

Carolina is owned by former Baltimore Colt Jerry Richardson.  Michael Oher and Ed Dickson, from the Ravens Super Bowl XLVII Champions team, are Panthers. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »

No New York Giants or GB Packers, no game worth watching.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »

I feel like I care less about the Super Bowl each year.  I might be tempted to rewatch the McCartney, Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, and Bruce Springsteen halftime shows on YouTube though.  Those halftime shows were really great for a few years.  The Who was a disappointment and after that, they started to skew younger and became more of a spectacle than a concert.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:10:49 AM »

I can't recall for sure the last Super Bowl I watched: I know it was the late '90s, though. And I'm a football fan. But as time goes on, the whole idea of "we ALL MUST watch this, if not for the game, then for the ads" increasingly just drives me crazy and brings out my contrarian streak. The ads can go f*** themselves (as if our typical 20+ minutes per hour and literally incessant on-screen ads weren't enough) and if I don't care about the teams involved (which is inevitably true, the Vikings only occasionally even threatening to make it) then it's just not worth the time. The excessively elongated time, that is. How many minutes are required to complete a purportedly 60-minute game, the actual game-time of which is usually estimated at fewer than 15 minutes? Oh, 240, 300. Something like that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »

I feel like I care less about the Super Bowl each year.  I might be tempted to rewatch the McCartney, Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, and Bruce Springsteen halftime shows on YouTube though.  Those halftime shows were really great for a few years.  The Who was a disappointment and after that, they started to skew younger and became more of a spectacle than a concert.

I nominate the Flaming Lips for next year's halftime show!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 05:22:21 AM »

I actually thought that The Who were a great halftime show a few years ago. 

I guess we'll need another nip slip to return the halftime shows to their former glories where the music was the main attraction.  We had a good run with Macca, The Stones, Petty, Bruce, and The Who.  But the last few years have been awful.  Last night's halftime show set a new standard for bad. 
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:43:09 AM »

Hi all,

Last Night night I watched The Longest Ride and Love On The Sidelines. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »

If it were the Flaming Lips from 10 years ago, I might agree.  I fear the Flaming Lips today would be too eager to bring Miley along.

I think Arcade Fire would be perfect.

As for The Who, I think they played just fine.  But the way the songs were truncated was awkward and didn't really work for me.  I didn't like the transitions.

I thought this year's halftime show was very entertaining, but it was despite Coldplay rather than because of them.  Beyoncé sounded great and I like Uptown Funk.  I wish Coldplay did more of their hits from their early albums.  They seemed to rely on their more recent and inferior stuff.  I only recognized Viva La Vida and the intro to Clocks.

KDS
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 07:09:10 AM »

If it were the Flaming Lips from 10 years ago, I might agree.  I fear the Flaming Lips today would be too eager to bring Miley along.

I think Arcade Fire would be perfect.

As for The Who, I think they played just fine.  But the way the songs were truncated was awkward and didn't really work for me.  I didn't like the transitions.

I thought this year's halftime show was very entertaining, but it was despite Coldplay rather than because of them.  Beyoncé sounded great and I like Uptown Funk.  I wish Coldplay did more of their hits from their early albums.  They seemed to rely on their more recent and inferior stuff.  I only recognized Viva La Vida and the intro to Clocks.

Like them or not, I think Coldplay was an extremely poor choice for halftime of the Golden Anniversary Super Bowl.  I would think the NFL would want something with a little more energy.  And that's why they panicked and added the cop hating Beyonce and Bruno Mars to the bill. 

I mean, I'm a HUGE Pink Floyd fan, but I wouldn't want David Gilmour or Roger Waters playing halftime at the Super Bowl.  (I'm in no way saying Coldplay is an good as Pink Floyd, but just using the fact that neither band is a high energy group as an analogy). 

Metallica, Journey, or Santana would've been obvious choices since they're all from the CA Bay Area.  AC/DC is running out of sand in their hour glass.  They would've been a great choice. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: