gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:35:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An examination of The Beach Boys at Chicago's Collaboraction Theater  (Read 3635 times)
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:30:58 PM »

Collaboraction Theater, in the Flat Iron Arts building at Milwaukee, North and Damen in Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood, is having a Beach Boys night on Thursday, March 10 at 7:30 pm. It's part of their Collaboraction Arts and Culture Club, where they build a variety show that examines a topic and it's influence on society, with discussion at the end. 

I've been asked to do 10 minutes on a topic "outside the box" and lead the discussion. I'm currently leaning toward Love You, since it's obscure and will hopefully spur a discussion of mental illness in the arts. I'll also bring a lot of memorabilia and collectibles to decorate the space. I'm not sure of everyone on the bill at this point, but my friend, essayist and Second City instructor, Mike Gifford will be reading something and these shows usually involve some of the bigger names in the improv and musical improv scene. Admission is any donation to the theater.

This should be a great night, and I'd love to have an audience full of hardcore fans to keep the discussion interesting.

Edited for date change There was a conflict at the theater, so it's getting pushed back three weeks. More time for me to get my ten minuets as tight as possible Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:54:47 PM by Amanda Hart » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »

This is coming up next week, and we had our musical act drop out. Anyone with here a Chicago area musician, solo or part of a band? Could perform Beach Boys covers or original music inspired by them, you'll get 3-4 songs. Message me if you're interested or know anyone who is.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:01 AM »

I for one plan on being there tonight, quite a missed opportunity if I didn't
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:45 AM »

I for one plan on being there tonight, quite a missed opportunity if I didn't

I'll see you there! Here's a link to the Facebook event for anyone who needs more info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1675258269428799/

The show is on the Salon stage, on the third floor. You have to wind around a little bit to get to it, but there are signs.

I've got my 10 minutes all mapped out and will be bringing some tour posters and other memorabilia to display.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »

I've not been on the board in a couple weeks, and I just saw this was tonight.  I probably would have gone.  Oh well, hope it was fun.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 07:31:34 AM »

you know Amanda last night I was especially fine w/ Wes Perry's rendition of (IG)IJWM4TT, angry young man delivery though with good dimension (he even made an attempt to insert a background vocal line I noticed).  You yourself worked w/o script in hand (insert applause emoticon here) and had a good insightful point or 2 about BB Love You album.  Thanks, glad I came
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »

you know Amanda last night I was especially fine w/ Wes Perry's rendition of (IG)IJWM4TT, angry young man delivery though with good dimension (he even made an attempt to insert a background vocal line I noticed).  You yourself worked w/o script in hand (insert applause emoticon here) and had a good insightful point or 2 about BB Love You album.  Thanks, glad I came

Thank you so much for coming! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had a lot of fun. Wes was fantastic, he has a weekly show on the same stage on Saturday nights where he does the same kind of storytelling/musical performance. I really liked Eric Simon's bit too. For those who missed it - he did a composite character of the group if they were 20-somethings today, with a monologue about having an Uber rating of 4.9. It was funny and he incorporated enough song titles Mike Love could have written it himself.

Because I'm too stubborn to ever speak with notes, I actually left out two points that I wanted to make. I wanted to add the story Brian telling an interviewer that I Want To Pick You Up was about shrinking down a woman to add to my "he's just messing with us" part and I wanted to talk more about how the synth bass lines relate back to his older song writing. People still seemed to enjoy what I did and seemed into it. The guy running tech told me added the catalog to his Spotify playlist after my speech - so at least I got through to someone.

A girl goes to all of these Arts and Culture Club shows and sketches the performers, so that's my new avatar. She even through in the Smile cover over my shoulder.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:16:45 PM by Amanda Hart » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »

Hello, Amanda. Did anyone video this event? would hate to think it just went out.
p.s. liking your new ava' 3D. Who is the girl that drawn you?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 12:59:07 PM »

Hello, Amanda. Did anyone video this event? would hate to think it just went out.
p.s. liking your new ava' 3D. Who is the girl that drawn you?

I don't think anyone recorded it, unfortunately.

The drawing is by Athena Lee. She draws the performers at the Art and Culture Club every week and you can see them here: https://www.facebook.com/CollabFlatIronArtsCultureClub/?pnref=story

They invited me back to perform this week and I'll be doing an essay on novelty songs.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »

That's a bummer. I looked fwd to watch it.

Interesting drawings. The kind I like. 3D

Good luck! Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx