gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:44:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You are about to become involved with charity...via Van Dyke Parks  (Read 7735 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:00:31 AM »

So...VDP tweeted that he'll donate $100 to charity (of one's choice) for the first person who gives him photo evidence of Mike's hatless 2016 head.

I...like this guy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:03:49 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »

Guessing he's not on Facebook.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:39 AM »

If I were Mike I would post the picture myself, then I would offer to donate $200 if VDP can explain what the Smile lyrics mean  Grin
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:30:55 AM by Cristian Kiper » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:39:36 AM »

This is the way VDP likes to represent himself these days? Wow.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if:

1) Mike actually takes him up on the offer and provides his own picture, or
2) It was good-natured ribbing.

After all, Mike has always said nice things about VDP publicly.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »

VDP's behaviour since TSS has been on the baffling side of intriguing.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »

Guessing he's not on Facebook.  Smiley

You need to tell Mike to take VDP up on that offer.  It would be awesome.  LOL
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »

KInda funny and kinda sad too.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

Mostly sad. One wonders how often Mike Love thinks about VDP...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 01:21:05 PM »

I suspect VDP only thinks about Mike as much as he does because so many people ask him on Twitter about the Beach Boys.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »

Wow.... VDP is slowly becoming more and more of a jerk day by day. Never thought I'd say that about VDP..... I kinda feel sorry for Mike now. Just imagine waking up in the morning and being like: "I'm Mike Love." Look, I get it. Mike's done some extremely stupid things throughout his life, but Jesus, this whole "let's all spew hate on Mike Love" thing is getting kind of repitive, hurtful, insensitive and highly annoying! Give the guy a break!
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »

Wow.... VDP is slowly becoming more and more of a jerk day by day. Never thought I'd say that about VDP..... I kinda feel sorry for Mike now. Just imagine waking up in the morning and being like: "I'm Mike Love." Look, I get it. Mike's done some extremely stupid things throughout his life, but Jesus, this whole "let's all spew hate on Mike Love" thing is getting kind of repitive, hurtful, insensitive and highly annoying! Give the guy a break!

Truth
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »

Finding it hard to take in that someone as intelligent - intellectual - can get so icky personal over something that oughtn't trouble him any-time-ever. Now, we here Smilers can be petty piss-spraying dunks, but I thought he'd always rise way above our level. Anyone else suspect signs of an age-related mental degeneration?  I respect this guy way above most of my heroes, and I hate to even suggest that.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »

VDP rules! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

Finding it hard to take in that someone as intelligent - intellectual - can get so icky personal over something that oughtn't trouble him any-time-ever. Now, we here Smilers can be petty piss-spraying dunks, but I thought he'd always rise way above our level. Anyone else suspect signs of an age-related mental degeneration?  I respect this guy way above most of my heroes, and I hate to even suggest that.

I suspect that VDP is entirely capable of having his own feelings about his own life.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »

Exactly, he not alone in his dislike of Mike Love.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 03:51:51 PM »

While I don't condone teasing someone over their physical imperfections (regardless of how I feel about that person), at least I'll say that unlike Mike, VDP appears to have publicly owned up to mistakes. That's a much bigger thing to tease Mike about, and quite laughable if put to poetry the way only VDP can, if VDP feels the insatiable urge to tease the Lovester.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:02:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 04:38:17 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if it was maybe more often than some might think.

If you look at his interviews, he seems to stew on some very predictable topics, and old topics at that. He still goes on and on about the songwriting lawsuit even though it was over with over 20 years ago, and he won!

It's potentially extra ironic considering the early 90s interview where he goes on about how it's Al that gets hung up on stuff from the past, etc. That may have been true (Gary Usher's comments from the mid 80s suggest it's very plausible), but Mike's own interviews over many years seem to indicate he also continues to be hung up on several topics and people.

So it wouldn't surprise me if VDP is one of those people/topics. Doesn't mean Mike thinks about it constantly, every day.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »

I say to Mike Love: Show the world that wonderful cranium!  Do it for charity, do it for world peace, do it for Love  Wink
It's okay to be bald.   
You have very nice cutlery btw.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 08:24:34 PM »

Mike had posted photos of himself hatless at home on FaceBook a while back. I believe it was for his birthday celebration with his family. Frankly, he looked rather good without the hat.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »

Mike had posted photos of himself hatless at home on FaceBook a while back. I believe it was for his birthday celebration with his family. Frankly, he looked rather good without the hat.
I have seen photos of Mike hatless throughout the years, but they are always personal pics. When he's onstage, he's the guy in the hat and Hawaiian shirt; offstage, he seems to be very different. And I think that's healthy.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:21 AM »

I don't think so. He's seemed the same as always on stage and in interviews over the last few years. I suspect, actually, that something happened to reopen old wounds regarding the Smile Sessions box, and given how recently that was I can't blame him too much for wanting to get the occasional joking dig in.  It just means he's a human being. He still strikes me overall as about the classiest and most basically decent person involved in the whole Beach Boys story, even if he can occasionally want to make the odd petty joke.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 06:25:09 AM »

If co-lyricist John k would agree, i would like to donate our haiku-palindrome (though I doubt seriously that this could be worth anything like 100 $ to anyone  - like 'us' or 'U.S.'(?):

>"debut-NUDE US, MIKEe

(M.E. Love = vole 'M')

EEK, I,m sued - un-tubed!"<

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 06:31:21 AM »

If co-lyricist John k would agree, i would like to donate our haiku-palindrome (though I doubt seriously that this could be worth anything like 100 $ to anyone  - like 'us' or 'U.S.'(?):

>"debut-NUDE US, MIKEe

(M.E. Love = vole 'M')

EEK, I,m sued - un-tubed!"<

I agree, Rasmus----you're the boss in that department. But what the world really needs is a VDPalindrome. I shall work on it...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:12 AM »

I know you'll come up with something NICE for the occasion.
[The old 'drome, originated by Theydon Bois and hai(ku)jack's by Li'l~palin'drom'erBoy is too mean-spirited for charity:

>Parks says: "S.I.P.?
Alas, a Love-vol. as (a
la) pissy as skrap!"<]...

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: