gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:43:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last Great/Decent Brian Vocal  (Read 7149 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »

I know this wasn't the intent of your thread, since you said you don't want to debate the merit of Brian's current work, but your premise is that the current work isn't "decent" and I don't agree. I don't think a less "youthful" vocal is necessarily a "worse" vocal. Brian's current voice might not be clear and soaring like it was in the 60's, but it is Brian's voice. It's not a young man's voice. It's a voice that reflects the wear and tear and history of a man who has been to hell and back and, against all odds,  lived to sing again. And, instead of finding that unlistenable, I find it compelling.

Listen to "Midnight's Another Day" and you won't hear the young genius of Pet Sounds. But, you will hear that same person's shattered heart being put back together. Listen to "Summer's Gone" and you won't hear a Beach Boy's fun in the sun surf anthem. But, you will hear that former young man reflecting on the approaching latter days of his life. It's in the music. It's in the lyrics. And, it's in the voice.

Brian had a wonderful voice when he was young. It was clear, and soaring and it perfectly expressed his youthful enthusiasm, his fears,  and his doubts. Elder Brian has a world worn voice, damaged by time, excess and criminal overmedication, that perfectly expresses his musings, his fears, and his doubts at this point of his life. If the speech is slurred and the voice a little weak, it's because there's now history behind that voice, instead of just promise.

So, you see,  I can't accept your premise, because to me  that's beautiful too.

That's a beautiful post affirming the value of experience. I agree. I also agree with sweetdudejim that in the last decade I've heard Brian's voice strengthen and clarify to the point where it sounds like Brian Wilson, just older and more experienced. I've had the same experience sdj describes of being startled at the familiarity of his vocals when they do some of the older songs. Age does stuff to your voice. More some than others. I'm no singer, but I sing; and in the last half year my upper register has just about vanished.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »

I think Brian sang very well on TLOS and was particularly stellar on "Midnight's Another Day". A great vocal indeed. Smiley On TWGMTR he was okay except for some places, on NPP I wasn't that happy with his performances. Sad

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »

I think Brian sang very well on TLOS and was particularly stellar on "Midnight's Another Day". A great vocal indeed. Smiley On TWGMTR he was okay except for some places, on NPP I wasn't that happy with his performances. Sad

I'm not trying to try or condemn your opinion.  But can you elaborate on your disappointment in Brian's vocals on NPP?  Personally, I think the vox are on the same level of TLOS or TWGMTR, and maybe even better in places. 

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »

The original version of Gettin' In Over My Head.

I do kind of like his California accent on Lazy Lizzie, especially the way he sings "school" and "cool."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »

"Midnight's Another Day". That is all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 03:09:19 AM »

I have always been moved by Brian's vocal on "Lay Down Burden" (though to my ears the mix on the instruments could have been better).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 05:02:31 AM »

Several on the Disney albums.

'Someone To Watch Over Me', 'Baby Mine'.

I think the vocals on NPP are generally better than TWGMTR, perhaps as a result of the fact that the latter project was not rushed.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »

I'm not trying to try or condemn your opinion.  But can you elaborate on your disappointment in Brian's vocals on NPP?  Personally, I think the vox are on the same level of TLOS or TWGMTR, and maybe even better in places. 

Thanks for not condemning my opinion. It's just when I first listened to it I thought at various spots "This vocal performance doesn't sound good, he tries something here he was able to in years past but cannot do anymore in a way that sounds good." I'm aware this is an opinion, that's why I worded it "I wasn't happy with the singing" rather than "his singing was not very good". And it worked! Smiley If you want to know which places those were in particular, I'd have to listen to it again which I rarely ever do.

KDS
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »

Thanks for not condemning my opinion. It's just when I first listened to it I thought at various spots "This vocal performance doesn't sound good, he tries something here he was able to in years past but cannot do anymore in a way that sounds good." I'm aware this is an opinion, that's why I worded it "I wasn't happy with the singing" rather than "his singing was not very good". And it worked! Smiley If you want to know which places those were in particular, I'd have to listen to it again which I rarely ever do.

No need.  If you're not a fan of the record, no need to listen to it again to point out the specific vocal moments you weren't happy with.  I was just curious.

I will say that, as much as I liked Brian's vocals on NPP, it was brilliant to have Al Jardine to help with some of the heavy lifting.  I hope Mr. Jardine continues to do leads on any future BW release.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »

No need.  If you're not a fan of the record, no need to listen to it again to point out the specific vocal moments you weren't happy with.  I was just curious.

But so I did. It helps that I find the vinyl more bearable, in part due to a better song sequencing.

Right on the first song, Brian's voice gets very thin on the line "if we could hold onto this feeling", also on "One kind of Love", especially on the line "I couldn't hear my heart calling out to you". He does a solid lead on "Runaway Dancer", though. I then put on TLOS, and in comparison those vocals seem strong, confident, full, phrased with expression and emotion in his voice, while on NPP Brian's voice seems thin, fragile, insecure, and having to put so much effort in the pitch control he doesn't manage to put much emotion into it. At least that seems so to me. Good he used so many guest lead vocalists.

zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »

Last great for me means the best..
And i think of the 67 piano & vocals "surf's up" contained in the extra of the SMiLE sessions.. Detuned but the best, the most expressive, live. I cried when i heard it. That's the last and the best Brian. No doubt 4 me. Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »

Colors of the Wind has one of Brian's greatest vocals too...
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »

No great Brian leads after Pet Sounds.....his voice was purdy good in the late sixties and very early seventies...and of course just went straight to hell in the mid-seventies.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »

No great Brian leads after Pet Sounds.....his voice was purdy good in the late sixties and very early seventies...and of course just went straight to hell in the mid-seventies.
You don't love his singing on Friends or Wild Honey?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx