gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:10:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ALBUM COVERS Project - Now Available...  (Read 6143 times)
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »

"BACK THROUGH THE OPERA GLASS (The Beach Boys Album Sleeves)" is an extension of an old website I used to run that uncovers, reviews and tells the stories behind the many amazing album covers that have graced the work of The Beach Boys across the years. You can now download the FULL 470-PAGE project, in three PDF parts, completely FREE, via the links below.
Alternatively, the links can also be found on the new Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - comments welcomed !

PART ONE: https://www.sendspace.com/file/hzjiqt
PART TWO: https://www.sendspace.com/file/perodx
PART THREE: https://www.sendspace.com/file/6icng1

Ideally designed for reading on an iPad or a similar device (or your home PC) you can now read the full story of every album sleeve, from 'Surfin' Safari' up to, and including 'That's Why God Made The Radio', with loads of related photographs alongside. Includes exclusive comments and interviews with Dave McMacken (Friends), Drew Struzan (LA Light Album), Lawrence Azzerad (TWGMTR), the late Ed Thrasher, Fred Vail, John Van Hamersveld (Wild Honey), Dean Torrence (15BO/Love You/MIU), William Stout (LA Light Album), the late Les Williams (the original surfer on Surfin' USA)... and lots more !
ENJOY !

Disclaimer: The three above links are currently downloadable via Sendspace and I accept no responsibility if the incorrect link is opened and/or the download is incompatible with your own device. It works fine at this end!
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:05:56 PM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »

Where's part 2?  The first two links are identical.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »

Oops ! Good shout. Correcting now...
Edit: Correct links now above...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:08:03 PM by Malc » Logged

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »

Excellent work. I love it!!

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »

Lots of fun stuff there!  I'm enjoying every bit of it!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »

Very nice!  Thank you!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »

Thank you! DLing now. Looking forward to reading all 3 parts.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 01:59:33 AM »

Thanks a lot Malc!!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:17 AM »

Kudos, Malc. I've often delved into your wonderful website----there's all the more reason to do so now!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »

Thank you Malc! I always loved the site and couldn't stop reading when I originally only wanted to look one thing up. I was afraid when I couldn't reach the site anymore that it was gone forever. It was definitely one of the best - probably THE best - Beach Boys sites on the web that I know (forums excluded)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys ! I really appreciate it. I understand that perhaps not everyone is quite so enamoured with the idea of simply reviewing and telling the tales surrounding the album sleeves, instead of hearing new music, or reading a first hand version of events (hi Rocky !), but just to get good comments from some of you makes it all worthwhile !!
The advantage of PDF format is that I can update, or correct, as and when needs be, and simply post a new link, so if anyone has any input into the layout or the stories then, please, let me know ! Happy to listen to all...
 Cheesy

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »

Malc, thank you so much for releasing these to us. I'm reading part one right now and it is very well done. I'm enamored. It is a different view of the band's history and an important one, in my opinion. Reading and looking at those covers are a part of how we discovered the guys in the band. Part of what captivated us as we listened to each album. Thanks again! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »

Malc, I thought I would elaborate a bit on my earlier praise.  

Yes the presentation was really fun, with all the photos and little sidebars of info, but I particularly enjoyed the content of the text itself.  Man, you must have done a phenomenal amount of research!  I have been reading about my favorite band for years and I do have a number of books about them (mostly the obvious ones), but much of the information you presented is new to me.  Kudos!

I found myself agreeing with your personal evaluations of nearly all of the cover concepts and compositions, from the just-right covers, such as Surfin' Safari and All Summer Long, to the what-were-they-thinking covers, such as Today.  My one disagreement, though (and this is all just personal opinion) was regarding the Summer Days... cover.  Maybe I misinterpreted your writing here, but I got the impression that you didn't care much for that cover.   Personally, I've always liked that cover very much, even with the absence of Al.  Yes he should have been on there (and of course we all know why he wasn't), but I don't think it disqualifies this from being one of their better covers.  As far as the design, this is one of the first Beach Boys album covers I ever identified with years ago.  It just screams out SUMMER!  The clear sky and calm ocean give a relaxing feel, while the slight camera angle gives the shot just a bit of motion.  

That's just my own take, for what it's worth.  Well done, all around!  Smiley  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:54:52 PM by sockittome » Logged
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »

Malc, I thought I would elaborate a bit on my earlier praise.  

Yes the presentation was really fun, with all the photos and little sidebars of info, but I particularly enjoyed the content of the text itself.  Man, you must have done a phenomenal amount of research!  I have been reading about my favorite band for years and I do have a number of books about them (mostly the obvious ones), but much of the information you presented is new to me.  Kudos!

I found myself agreeing with your personal evaluations of nearly all of the cover concepts and compositions, from the just-right covers, such as Surfin' Safari and All Summer Long, to the what-were-they-thinking covers, such as Today.  My one disagreement, though (and this is all just personal opinion) was regarding the Summer Days... cover.  Maybe I misinterpreted your writing here, but I got the impression that you didn't care much for that cover.   Personally, I've always liked that cover very much, even with the absence of Al.  Yes he should have been on there (and of course we all know why he wasn't), but I don't think it disqualifies this from being one of their better covers.  As far as the design, this is one of the first Beach Boys album covers I ever identified with years ago.  It just screams out SUMMER!  The clear sky and calm ocean give a relaxing feel, while the slight camera angle gives the shot just a bit of motion.  

That's just my own take, for what it's worth.  Well done, all around!  Smiley  

Thanks for your take on it ! Happy for folks to air opinions, after all, the project is based around my own and it's only right everyone has a say !! As you know, the text itself written a few years back, with the exception of a few new interviews and inclusions, plus TWGMTR, and maybe my opinions need an update ! We all mellow with time and I agree that SD does suggest more of a summer feel than others...
Must say that the most satisfaction I got out of this was for the Wild Honey to In Concert sections of the project. So much to uncover and discuss, and a lot more photos of that era were available... and the recent discussions with Dave (Friends) McMacken were enlightening too, along with his thoughts on the LA sleeve.
Glad you're enjoying it  - and I await further thoughts !!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »

Thank you so much, Malc!  Your Back Thru the Opera Glass site was a favorite of mine, so it's really nice to have all the great info that was contained on your website now archived in downloadable PDF form.

If there is anyone reading this who has not yet downloaded Malc's Back Thru the Opera Glass, The Stories Behind the Beach Boys Album Covers PDFs, do so now! You'll be getting one of the best BB books available for free. The graphical presentation is superb, with lots of photos and interesting background info on every one of the Beach Boys regular release albums.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:31:46 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 11:37:55 PM »

Re-up? Smiley
Only got around to getting the first part, enjoyable reading.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx