gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Come Go With Me vs A Casual Look  (Read 2619 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:37 AM »

These two Doo Wop classics were both covered by The Beach Boys. In your opinion which is the better track? (I believe there are two different versions of Come Go With Me??)

For me, hands down, it's A Casual Look.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »

They sang A Casual Look live when I first saw them in 1976 and it's a fun song, but under produced.

The 1976 version of Come Go With me is a bit sloppy with an odd mix (and piano too far in front).

The MIU version of Come Go With Me, for my money, ranks up there with their best covers.  Lush production and vocals, slight and tasty echo.  It sounds like a perfectly restored vintage car... not a racer... but a Lincoln or a Caddy.  Great track - and top 20 hit in 1981.  This was the song that made me realize what a great secret weapon Al's voice was.  I thought for years he did all the vocals (and he almost did) until someone directed me to the repeat of the line "...never give me a chance..." which is obviously Mike.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »

They sang A Casual Look live when I first saw them in 1976 and it's a fun song, but under produced.

The 1976 version of Come Go With me is a bit sloppy with an odd mix (and piano too far in front).

The MIU version of Come Go With Me, for my money, ranks up there with their best covers.  Lush production and vocals, slight and tasty echo.  It sounds like a perfectly restored vintage car... not a racer... but a Lincoln or a Caddy.  Great track - and top 20 hit in 1981.  This was the song that made me realize what a great secret weapon Al's voice was.  I thought for years he did all the vocals (and he almost did) until someone directed me to the repeat of the line "...never give me a chance..." which is obviously Mike.

Nice take, and it's Al's vocal blend with Mike on A Casual Look, that makes it a great song as well, IMO
Mike and Al have similarities in their voices, when they play off each other it,s often done to great effect.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »

was the come go with me version on Ten Years of Harmony the 1976 version?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »

I like both but prefer A Casual Look
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »

<<was the come go with me version on Ten Years of Harmony the 1976 version?>>

On the Epic/Caribou CD release, the early mix was included.  On the Caribou MIU CD release, the 1976/15 Big Ones mixes of Come Go With Me (actually 1975, right AGD?) and Peggy Sue were included by mistake, along with an earlier mix of Winds of Change.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:12:59 AM »

I prefer the later MIU version of "Come Go With Me". It did go to No. 18 as a single in 1981. I'm not sure "A Casual Look" coulda/woulda done that.

I like 15 Big Ones, but I think "A Casual Look" kind of epitomizes that album. With all the great oldies to pick from, why choose THAT one? And, like the other oldies on 15 Big Ones (with the exception of "Palisades park" IMO), Brian/the group doesn't quite nail it. It's just there, nothing special, meh...
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 09:22:07 AM »

I like both actually.  Mike's voice sounds great, along with Al's, on "A Casual Look."

I had a hard time, at first, getting into the "BB go oldies" period.  I would skip those type tracks on greatest hits comps and I was lukewarm to 15 BO.

I finally was at a public pool in Italy and they were playing Sounds of Summer over the loudspeakers. I couldn't help but listen to every song and when "Come Go" came on on I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Al's voice was spot on and I love the acoustic guitar sound as well. The bridge was what sold it to me.  After that I got more into the BB's later stuff and love the occasional spin I give 15 BO.

That summer afternoon at that pool will always be a great memory for me.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »

"Come go with me" although I'm not a big fan of most of their cover tunes from that time period, they just come off as being "Sloppy" sounding (The same with Lennon on his Rock n Roll album) also knowing what we know about some amazing songs that were sitting (and still are) sitting in the vaults collecting dust from that time period (mostly from Dennis), they make the songs on 15 big ones look like children songs.and  it's a shame that they couldn't have made a better album using some of these songs that were in the vaults,,
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »

no question
A CASUAL LOOK

and for me it's fun to play on the piano
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »

Come Go With Me

I just finished my complete (47 albums) alternate discography and "A Casual Look" didn't even make the cut. It's in the vaults. My version of 15 Big Ones is pretty different than the one the Boys crapped out in '76.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »

By a short head, "A Casual Look"----basically because I prefer my doo wop laid back.

Also, unlike The Six Teens song, I knew the Del-Vikings' version of "CGWM" years before hearing the BB cover. The Boys do it well, though... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »

I just finished my complete (47 albums) alternate discography and "A Casual Look" didn't even make the cut. It's in the vaults. My version of 15 Big Ones is pretty different than the one the Boys crapped out in '76.

I'd be interested in seeing your version of 15 Big Ones. Care to list it?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx