-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:12:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Anyone in the US worried about a Trump presidency?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone in the US worried about a Trump presidency?  (Read 18330 times)
ZenobiaUnchained
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »

It seems everyone thought he was a joke until fairly recently and now today he might be poised to begin a victory lap to the nomination. Whether you love him or not, its quite interesting to see an outsider basically single-handedly take over a party.

Zenobia>Cleopatra
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »

It seems everyone thought he was a joke until fairly recently and now today he might be poised to begin a victory lap to the nomination. Whether you love him or not, its quite interesting to see an outsider basically single-handedly take over a party.
I'm not a fan at all, but yeah, he's already shake. Up the Republican Party substantially and if he wins the general election (God forbid) a silver lining is that it would be a wake up call for both parties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »

If he were elected, I'd be tremendously ashamed that such a significant part of our population was that foolish, letting anger over status quo, the direction of the country, (the moronic idea of the grave dangers of) political correctness influence them to vote for that joke. We would be the laughingstock of the world. It would be an unprecedented low for the American presidency, and it would not even be close. He's uniquely unqualified as a candidate.

Hopefully it would serve as a warning to the parties to reverse their race to the furthest reaches of meme-ism and sound bites and showmanship and at least try to get something useful done occasionally, in between their fundraising efforts. (And thank goodness the presidency has limited power. Unfortunately it doesn't have limited audience.) Maybe they could disconnect "the button" and the phones and just let the blowhard rant and rave into non-working cameras and push red buttons that don't do anything.

He represents the worst of America in virtually every respect.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:46 PM »

Not particularly...at least no more than I am under Obama or was under Bush 2.0. I don't see him being any better or worse than his two predecessors; he'll be fought tooth and nail (just like Sanders would be) on everything he tries to push through Congress. His economic policy sucks, his foreign policy sucks, his domestic policy sucks...he's really no different than Bush 2.0 and Obama. He's just a lot more of a blowhard. Would a potential Trump presidency be a complete joke? Sure. Would the U.S. end up less respected on the global scene? Absolutely. But in those last two instances, he'd still be no different than Bush and Obama. I'd say the same of a potential Sanders or Clinton presidency as well.

This country has been f***ed (in recent memory) since not too long after the state declared war on an ideology. I honestly believe that this country would be better off if 99% of the electorate stayed home (I'm smart enough to know that voting doesn't make a difference). One big giant clusterfuck. It's going to get worse with time, of course; right now we're just happily coasting in the doldrums of sub-mediocrity. The U.S. has the government that the majority deserves - a giant warmongering nanny state. Many people bitch about it; they're better off just shutting their fucking mouths over it. This is the state they wanted and now it's here. Something like this isn't going to turn around quickly or easily. You see what's happening in Europe with the rise of new nationalist groups and the reviving of the current ones? That WILL happen here and it's not going to be pretty. The president is powerless to stop that. I don't want that to happen here but at the rate things are going people here and in Europe are pissed off - pissed off at big government, small-minded useful idiots voting for a living with their feelings, and the influx of uncivilized garbage into their countries (on the taxpayers' dime, no less).

I don't want this bad stuff to happen but I fear that we may be too far gone to turn this around quietly and calmly. Voting for Trump won't fix it. Voting for Sanders won't fix it. Westerners have some soul searching to do; hopefully it bears some good fruit because if not, we're in for a hell of a ride.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

We would be the laughingstock of the world. It would be an unprecedented low for the American presidency, and it would not even be close. He's uniquely unqualified as a candidate.

Which is why I believe there isn't a chance in hell the electoral college will actually allow him to become president.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »

Honestly, I don't expect the GOP to nominate him any more than the DWSocrats will nominate Sanders. Both major parties want a "good ol' boy" as the nominee. Neither Trump nor Sanders fit that bill.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »

If he were elected, I'd be tremendously ashamed that such a significant part of our population was that foolish, letting anger over status quo, the direction of the country, (the moronic idea of the grave dangers of) political correctness influence them to vote for that joke. We would be the laughingstock of the world. It would be an unprecedented low for the American presidency, and it would not even be close. He's uniquely unqualified as a candidate.

Hopefully it would serve as a warning to the parties to reverse their race to the furthest reaches of meme-ism and sound bites and showmanship and at least try to get something useful done occasionally, in between their fundraising efforts. (And thank goodness the presidency has limited power. Unfortunately it doesn't have limited audience.) Maybe they could disconnect "the button" and the phones and just let the blowhard rant and rave into non-working cameras and push red buttons that don't do anything.

He represents the worst of America in virtually every respect.
I didn't say all that but I agree. I think a lot of people felt like that about Reagan at the time though.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »

Sorry, but anybody who is not as equally if not more scared of a Hillary Clinton presidency than they are a Trump presidency is a complete focking moron. Literally one of the most ignorant stupid doo doo dumb people who has ever lived.

Zero respect for anybody who is planning on voting for that wretched excuse for a politician who is Bill Clinton's wife.

Completely ignoring Benghazi and her email scandal, which by the way she 100% absolutely deserves to be indicted for, she has done literally NOTHING. NOTHING Yes, NOTHING, to make this country and this world a better place.

They would impeach Donald Trump in a second if he did something out of line. Hillary Clinton has hundreds of FBI/CIA/whatever else government agents investigating her actions right now, and there are  idiot mother fockers with their heads all the way up to their nipples inside of their anuses that think that c-u-nt of a woman would make a better president than Donald Trump.

You would think most idiot Democrats MUST have noticed that the country under Barrack Obama is under than same path that it was under when George W. Bush was president. Hillary Clinton is just more of the same. Spiraling national debt, unrest in the Middle East, being forced to pay for-profit insurance companies our hard-earned money in the name of "healthcare".

This country is on a collision course with a pile of crap, and the speed at which it is headed there is increasing every day.

Donald Trump went from millions of dollars to billions. And Hillary went from, what? Staying with her husband who cheated on her dozens of times? Never sent an email with "classified" information, but doesn't have the intelligence to discern when something is "classified + 10"?

Anybody know countries that will accept political refugees with the dumb mo'fos elect the horrible, worthless human being known as Hillary Clinton as supreme leader of the free world? I would rather see this country burn from the outside than have to be a part of it.

ANYBODY BUT HILLARY IN 2016.

Don't be an idiot. This doesn't need to be the first "woman" president, just like the last few elections didn't need to be the first "black" president. You people are ruining the country way faster than the ignorants that are going to vote for Donald Trump....

No mas, por favor.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 12:52:14 AM »

I don't know why you are afraid. Honestly, why the dislike for the guy?

Is it the way he speaks his mind?

Maybe because almost every single media outlet is out to poison the public against him?

I know I sound really passive aggressive, but I swear I'm legitimately curious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:58:11 AM by SinisterSmile » Logged
KDS
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:17:41 AM »

Maybe because almost every single media outlet is out to poison the public against him?

I know I sound really passive aggressive, but I swear I'm legitimately curious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion

People don't like him because he speaks the truth.  In this ultra PC age we're mired in, people can't stand to hear the truth.  He's not afraid to say that we have an immigration problem, or that the US has no business opening doors to Syrian refugees, or that second amendment rights should be protected. 

I also think people don't like his lack of tact.  In all honestly, ever other politician in history has had an ego as big, or bigger, than Trump.  But, they do a better job hiding it. 

However, I think ducking Megan Kelly is going to wind up costing him in the end. 

Quite frankly, I would be more worried about Sanders or Clinton.  But, I'll admit, I'm a little relieved that at least Martin Owe Malley seems to be out of the running.  As a Maryland tax payer, I can say that he could've spelled doom for this country. 
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »

Because he speaks the truth? All the guy does is monger hatred, unnecessary racism, sexism, and fear. He's not even a politician. Every election he fluffs up his feathers and does his dance and everyone laughs and this time around he's just getting more attention because they're laughing louder. Personally, I'm voting Bernie Sanders. He's the only one who has any of this TRUTH of which you speak and the only person to stand behind a podium worthy of the air they breathe. The only people who should be worried about Sanders are billionaires and mega-corporations.. do either of these apply to you?
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:53:12 AM »

Because he speaks the truth? All the guy does is monger hatred, unnecessary racism, sexism, and fear. He's not even a politician. Every election he fluffs up his feathers and does his dance and everyone laughs and this time around he's just getting more attention because they're laughing louder. Personally, I'm voting Bernie Sanders. He's the only one who has any of this TRUTH of which you speak and the only person to stand behind a podium worthy of the air they breathe. The only people who should be worried about Sanders are billionaires and mega-corporations.. do either of these apply to you?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  Trump says he's against immigration and bringing in refugees, so "he's a racist" or "he's a hate monger."  I'm not saying that giant corporations aren't part of the problem, but let's be honest, this country can't even take care of its own right now. 

Quite frankly, I'm not a huge fan of any of the candidates.  But I'll take ANYBODY on the Republican side over Sanders or Clinton.   
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 05:58:46 AM »

People don't like him because he speaks the truth.  In this ultra PC age we're mired in, people can't stand to hear the truth.  He's not afraid to say that we have an immigration problem, or that the US has no business opening doors to Syrian refugees, or that second amendment rights should be protected. 

I also think people don't like his lack of tact.  In all honestly, ever other politician in history has had an ego as big, or bigger, than Trump.  But, they do a better job hiding it. 

However, I think ducking Megan Kelly is going to wind up costing him in the end. 

Quite frankly, I would be more worried about Sanders or Clinton.  But, I'll admit, I'm a little relieved that at least Martin Owe Malley seems to be out of the running.  As a Maryland tax payer, I can say that he could've spelled doom for this country. 
KDS - I think you are correct.  Trump has opened a door that cannot be closed. Politicians who are in office for careers, are afraid of him.  The corruption and incompetence is staggering.  Instead of doing their jobs, many are consumed with ambition, and their images while wasting taxpayer dollars, remaining in damage-control mode.  Trump has changed the discussion and exposed the political world as one that operates through Public Relations, as opposed to the ground-game of door knocking and grass roots growth.  Sanders rise is a shock.  He is correct about the system but, like Trump he needs to dial-it-back.  

Bernie has a student ground-game who don't want to have to pay for the college education they received. Students can already get loan forgiveness by going into public service. School is not cheap, nor should it be free. And, on the other hand, not so fee-laden that the tuition is 1/5 of the bill, and the rest are add-on fees, that I disagree with very strongly.  Keep it reasonable, accessible and let everyone pay their way.

Anyone can go to a private school, for social and status value, but there is a price. Going to a less expensive state school, where they don't pamper students, and paying your way, ensures that you get out pretty much debt-free, financing your life.  There is a value in the work ethic.  And, students generally read the same text books, regardless of where they go.   Wink

Bernie and Hillary will be looking for O'Malley's supporters and dough.  it is very interesting.    
KDS
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 06:41:25 AM »

If Sanders and Clinton are looking for Owe Malley supporters, I don't think they'll find many. 

Maryland is a blue state, and Owe Malley did so much damage here, that Maryland put a Republican, Larry Hogan, in office.  And a Republican has one of the highest approval ratings of any governor in Maryland history, despite Maryland being a blue state. 

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:35 AM »

If Sanders and Clinton are looking for Owe Malley supporters, I don't think they'll find many. 

Maryland is a blue state, and Owe Malley did so much damage here, that Maryland put a Republican, Larry Hogan, in office.  And a Republican has one of the highest approval ratings of any governor in Maryland history, despite Maryland being a blue state. 

There is a small percentage separating Clinton and Sanders.  And even a couple of percentage points of support will tip those scales.

A lot of Dems are jumping to the dark side.  LOL

They are sick of the lies. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 07:04:03 AM »

Trump doesn't speak truth. Trump speaks applause lines. They change as the audience changes, hence his ability to switch his positions for convenience--an awfully political move for a purported non-politician. (If one runs for president, one is a politician.)

The problem isn't what a position might be on this or that issue. He could be opposed to immigration and not say racist things. But he says racist things. See the difference? "They send us their rapists?" Really? The Mexican government rounds up rapists and ships them to the USA? That's idiotic. (By the way, more Mexicans are leaving America for Mexico the past few years, but let's not worry about reality. There are more people patrolling the border under Obama than before him, but let's not worry about reality. There are more deportations by Obama than before him, but let's not worry about reality.) There is an impression (mostly among aging, low-income, low-education whites) of evil, job-stealing, crime-committing Mexicans taking away their country, what, with the signs that have Spanish written right there along with God's own American English!? What's the world coming to, I don't want to have to "Press One For English, Press Two For Spanish"!

Trump speaks nonsense to confused people, scared people, and angry people. But he inflames it by giving a false sense of security. He aggravates the problems, he doesn't solve them. He hasn't said a single sensible thing that could possibly happen to solve any issue. At all. Not one. His proposals are mostly making Mexico pay for a wall (to keep the Mexicans in, and the central Americans out?), which is idiotic, and beyond that? Uh, making deals, apparently. Never mind what, how, why, to what end. It'll just happen "and a lot of very smart people like my plans. You're going to love it." You wouldn't buy a car from someone who spoke that way, but you'll vote him in as president? It's absurd on its face!

Political correctness may be stupid sometimes, but it's not high on the list of things that are wrong with this country. And regardless of political correctness, there is a difference between it and common decency. Courtesy. Restraint. Tact. Class. Trump has none of these. Leaders do not speak angrily, inflammatorily (which may be a made-up word...), rudely. They don't browbeat. What's more, the very definition of political correctness is restraint of speech, right? It's saying one should use or avoid this or that word, phrase, etc. Trump--the enemy of such restrictions--consistently calls for what amounts to censorship of everyone who contradicts him. Such-and-such reporter should be fired! So-and-so must be taken off the air! That's just his own version of political correctness.

I don't expect much from our candidates. They almost all almost always find new ways to disappoint and underwhelm. But this is the worst of my lifetime. And I lived through a Ventura governorship.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 07:09:22 AM »

There is a small percentage separating Clinton and Sanders.  And even a couple of percentage points of support will tip those scales.

A lot of Dems are jumping to the dark side.  LOL

They are sick of the lies. 

I think a lot of Democrat voters in Maryland reached a breaking point when Owe Malley taxed the rain.  And that's not an exaggeration. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 07:16:22 AM »

No Democrat who holds traditionally Democratic positions is going to jump ship to vote for Trump or any other Republican candidate. It's not to say that phenomenon can't or doesn't happen--historically we have had plenty of candidates of either party who were centrist enough to pull from the other side. The past decade or so has seen that disappear, and more so on the right than the alleged left.

There are self-identified Democrats who support Trump. But every poll I've seen shows them to be aging, white, uneducated voters. They're exactly the demographic that fits into the part of the country that is most vulnerable to the fascist-style ravings we hear too often: angry and/or scared that the country is changing, passing them by. Some of their complaints are legitimate, some aren't, but voting for a clown--pretty much literally a clown--isn't about to help, especially since he hasn't outlined a single position or plan that makes any sense whatsoever.

People should not let themselves be governed by emotions, by passions. It works for politicians, sure, but it doesn't work for the people. Use your minds, people. Charisma isn't a reason to vote for or against someone. Its only political value is in building consensus--and Trump's charisma has been specifically employed to do the opposite.

KDS
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »

No Democrat who holds traditionally Democratic positions is going to jump ship to vote for Trump or any other Republican candidate. It's not to say that phenomenon can't or doesn't happen--historically we have had plenty of candidates of either party who were centrist enough to pull from the other side. The past decade or so has seen that disappear, and more so on the right than the alleged left.

There are self-identified Democrats who support Trump. But every poll I've seen shows them to be aging, white, uneducated voters. They're exactly the demographic that fits into the part of the country that is most vulnerable to the fascist-style ravings we hear too often: angry and/or scared that the country is changing, passing them by. Some of their complaints are legitimate, some aren't, but voting for a clown--pretty much literally a clown--isn't about to help, especially since he hasn't outlined a single position or plan that makes any sense whatsoever.

People should not let themselves be governed by emotions, by passions. It works for politicians, sure, but it doesn't work for the people. Use your minds, people. Charisma isn't a reason to vote for or against someone. Its only political value is in building consensus--and Trump's charisma has been specifically employed to do the opposite.

I'm not saying that Trump is the best candidate for POTUS, but if he gets the nod (which I really don't think he will), he's got my vote. 

I will agree that the POTUS shouldn't be elected on charisma or emotions, especially based on the current President. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 08:06:41 AM »

I will agree that the POTUS shouldn't be elected on charisma or emotions, especially based on the current President. 

Wise liberals would agree with that. Naieve ones voted for him believing he'd solve racial problems, end wars, etc. But he was--and ran as--a centrist Democrat. Which is what he's been, more or less. Increases in drone attacks, ongoing overseas adventurism/empire building, Guantanamo still open. The aforementioned deportations. Many civil rights groups upset about his relative silence on racial issues (even as many on the right or many whites think he's been too divisive on those same issues--a classic example of not being able to please anyone with centrism). Filling his cabinet with the typical Goldman Sachs types. On and on.

But "HOPE" posters meant whatever voters wanted them to mean.

A really, really, really important thing to keep in mind is that putting too much faith in, or expectations on, the president is absurd. His powers are far from total, which is as it should be. The last thing we need is a stronger executive: therein lies the path to real fascism.

What we need is a more engaged population, first and foremost. MOST of the blame for our f***ed-up political system lies with citizens. Then comes the filthy relationship between the perverse parties, big-money lobbying and campaign funding, a ratings-and-ad-dollars hungry tabloid media, corporate domination of our lives, and of course the weak lapdogs we elect to Congress.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »

Trump said he wants to cut funding to mosques.
Does that remind anyone of a particular amendment?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »

Huh?

Funding?

They can neither advance nor inhibit the free exercise of religion. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »

Huh?

Funding?

They can neither advance nor inhibit the free exercise of religion. 

And what do you consider the government closing down mosques to be? Neutrality?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »

Sorry, but anybody who is not as equally if not more scared of a Hillary Clinton presidency than they are a Trump presidency is a complete focking moron. Literally one of the most ignorant stupid doo doo dumb people who has ever lived.

Zero respect for anybody who is planning on voting for that wretched excuse for a politician who is Bill Clinton's wife.

Completely ignoring Benghazi and her email scandal, which by the way she 100% absolutely deserves to be indicted for, she has done literally NOTHING. NOTHING Yes, NOTHING, to make this country and this world a better place.

They would impeach Donald Trump in a second if he did something out of line. Hillary Clinton has hundreds of FBI/CIA/whatever else government agents investigating her actions right now, and there are  idiot mother fockers with their heads all the way up to their nipples inside of their anuses that think that c-u-nt of a woman would make a better president than Donald Trump.

You would think most idiot Democrats MUST have noticed that the country under Barrack Obama is under than same path that it was under when George W. Bush was president. Hillary Clinton is just more of the same. Spiraling national debt, unrest in the Middle East, being forced to pay for-profit insurance companies our hard-earned money in the name of "healthcare".

This country is on a collision course with a pile of crap, and the speed at which it is headed there is increasing every day.

Donald Trump went from millions of dollars to billions. And Hillary went from, what? Staying with her husband who cheated on her dozens of times? Never sent an email with "classified" information, but doesn't have the intelligence to discern when something is "classified + 10"?

Anybody know countries that will accept political refugees with the dumb mo'fos elect the horrible, worthless human being known as Hillary Clinton as supreme leader of the free world? I would rather see this country burn from the outside than have to be a part of it.

ANYBODY BUT HILLARY IN 2016.

Don't be an idiot. This doesn't need to be the first "woman" president, just like the last few elections didn't need to be the first "black" president. You people are ruining the country way faster than the ignorants that are going to vote for Donald Trump....
I disagree with much of the above. I agree that she wouldn't make things much better; no president can unless congress is revolutionized. We've had more than one president (including Bill Clinton and Hillary would've supported it then and would now) who would have passed nationalized health care if the population didn't make it so clear it causes them socialist panic. I think that's changing and we'll get there. I find it hard to imagine how any president could unilaterally decrease spending, but Bill Clinton closed the deficit more than any president in our lifetimes.
Trump went from millions to billions; Clinton went from thousands to millions. The latter is more difficult I think.
At least one word you used is certainly against board rules and very offensive to me.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 08:53:23 AM »

Because i grew up in the NY City area and have seen his bloviating idiocy all my life.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: