gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:02:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Signe Anderson dead at 74  (Read 3188 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: January 30, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

As it turns out, we lost two founding members of Jefferson Airplane on the same day: Paul Kantner and Signe Anderson. Anderson was the original female singer of the band, and was a superb singer in her own right. She was there for the band's first album "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", and she left the band shortly after to raise a family. She was replaced of course by the legendary front-woman Grace Slick, who became a rock and roll legend and ended up completely eclipsing Anderson's role in the Airplane.

Both Kantner and Anderson are High Flying Birds now, alongside Skip Spence, Spencer Dryden, Joey Covington and Papa John Creach. May they rest in peace.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »

Marty Balin:

"One sweet Lady has passed on. I imagine that she and Paul woke up in heaven and said "Hey what are you doing here? Let's start a band" and no sooner then said Spencer was there joining in!" Heartfelt thoughts to all their family and loved ones"

Jorma Kaukonen:

"We were just checking into the hotel in Santa Monica this afternoon… I’ve got a solo gig at McCabe's Music Shop tonight… I got a call from Grace who told me that Signe, the Airplane’s first female voice, passed on the same day as Paul.

Signe was one of the strongest people I have ever met. She was our den mother in the early days of the Airplane… a voice of reason on more occasions than one… an important member of our dysfunctional little family. I always looked forward to seeing her when we played the Aladdin in Portland. She never complained and was always a joy.

Flights of angels sing thee to thy rest sister…

You will always live in my heart…

Now we are four…"

Jack Casady:

"I was just informed of the passing of Signe Anderson, the same day as we lost Paul. Signe was our, Jefferson Airplane's first female singer. I had been in touch with Signe this past week as she had moved from her home to hospice care. She was a real sweetheart with a terrific contralto voice coming from a solid folk background. Listen to how she made the three part harmonies of JA Takes Off (first album) sound so thick...her wonderful tone between Paul's and Marty's.
A sad day .....for those of us still here.
RIP Signe"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:12:51 PM by Come And See Her..... » Logged
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »

That's insane.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »

Very sad news! I love that first Airplane album! Wish we had gotten a couple more records out of the original JA line-up before Grace.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »

So very sad...she had a lovely voice.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:59:03 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Ic9nHfgmQ

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »

Oh no!!!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »

I'd say she had better voice than Grace Slick whose I can't stand. She might not have songwriting chops but I liked her presence. Late JA is not to my taste.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »

I'd say she had better voice than Grace Slick whose I can't stand. She might not have songwriting chops but I liked her presence. Late JA is not to my taste.

Later Jefferson Airplane's still a lot better than the rubbish put out by Starship
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »

the BMG Heritage label release of JA takes off is still a great listen.  Pre summer of love and as clean and fresh sounding today as ever.    11 original tracks plus eight bonus tracks.  Signe and Paul at their finest.   Truly amazing harmony with Mary Balin.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:46:23 PM »

Later Jefferson Airplane's still a lot better than the rubbish put out by Starship
I am not their fan at all. I rmbr. you said you like "We Built This City". Rei?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »

If anything it's more of a guilty pleasure thing. It's still awful
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »

Ikr. Who you consider better vocalist in every JA line-up?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »

Marty Balin would probably have to be my choice overall, bit of a shame he's largely overshadowed. Anderson and Slick would be about on par with each other at the very least, though in terms of charisma, songwriting and influence it would have to be Slick. Kantner would have to be the weakest of the main lead vocalists IMO, though he's very good when he sticks to backing vocals.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »

Marty Balin would probably have to be my choice overall, bit of a shame he's largely overshadowed. Anderson and Slick would be about on par with each other at the very least, though in terms of charisma, songwriting and influence it would have to be Slick. Kantner would have to be the weakest of the main lead vocalists IMO, though he's very good when he sticks to backing vocals.
Yes, Marty is best tho JA is still not my cup of tea. They'd be my top choice for artist you really tried to like. What would be yours?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »

Yes, Marty is best tho JA is still not my cup of tea. They'd be my top choice for artist you really tried to like. What would be yours?

Honestly if I had to choose it would have to be Led Zeppelin. Was a bit underwhelmed by them after all the hype surrounding them
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

Honestly if I had to choose it would have to be Led Zeppelin. Was a bit underwhelmed by them after all the hype surrounding them
Agree. They are good musicians but the 1st bunch of albums I listened to - mind, I'm not an album listener - wasn't too good. Have you heard any solo? Which is best iyo?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »

Agree. They are good musicians but the 1st bunch of albums I listened to - mind, I'm not an album listener - wasn't too good. Have you heard any solo? Which is best iyo?

Solo? As in solo albums, or?

In any case, probably should move this discussion to its own thread or something
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »

In any case, probably should move this discussion to its own thread or something
LZ members had solo careers, whose you consider best?

No, it's ok to talk here. One question wouldn't do harm anyway.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »

LZ members had solo careers, whose you consider best?

No, it's ok to talk here. One question wouldn't do harm anyway.

Fair enough. And not really sure as I haven't really heard much of the band's solo at all. Probably Page, for his session work and his work with The Yardbirds
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:44 AM »

can u guys please just reply without quoting  Cry
KDS
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:19 AM »

Rangerover,

If you're purely talking solo material as opposed to non-Zeppelin material, I'm going with Plant.  Plant put out some really solid albums in the 80s, best of which IMO is Now and Zhen. 

I'm not a huge fan of his recent folksy stuff, but it's not bad. 

Page only has one solo album to his credit, the pretty good Outrider.  He might put one out this year. 

If you're talking non-Zeppelin output, I'm going with Page for late Yardbirds, The Firm, Coverdale/Page, and Page/Plant. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx