gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fabulous Illustrations from - The Beach Boys by Byron Preiss, '79  (Read 10422 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »

For those of you who don't or for sometime no longer have "The Beach Boys - The Authorised Biography Of America's Greatest Rock And Roll Band!" by Byron Preiss, here are a selection of shots of the artwork contained in said tome (there are many more).

While there are differing opinions on the written content of the book, readers may show appreciation for the FAB illustrations.

Some are sublime, some hilarious or amusing; some decidedly ludicrous.  But, as per all art, evocative or moving in some way, and there is something here for everyone no matter what your emotional disposition is.  Click on the thumbnails to see a bigger image.

Please feel free to add any better links or better shots than these one's I've cranked out this morning, pop up any that are missing.

As per SenorPotatoHead's lovely post in dog thread it would be great to hear any tidbits or stories any old dogs here may have re these pictures; first hand from the artist or via your previous contact with the book's production team.

Years ago, I contacted the artist of that painting, George Chastain, and he was very nice in replying.  He remembered the painting, which he had been commissioned to do for the book (along with a bunch of other artists), "The Beach Boys" that came out in the late '70's.   He had since sold the painting, which he stated he regretted, and that initially it was one of the band themselves who wished to purchase it, he recalled it being either Carl or maybe Bruce.     Ultimately it was sold to someone else.   I cannot find this email exchange I had with him on my computer, but it was within the last 5 to 7 years.  He is still with us, I believe and may be open to contact and questions.  
A quick search brought the following links:  
http://www.askart.com/artist/George_Chastain/121920/George_Chastain.aspx

https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-chastain-b2397a3

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/portfolio/paintings/

Also, should there be any issues that require the links removed, PM me and I'll sort you out.

Ultimately, seek out a copy of the book for a better reproduction of the pics.  I really like it, and I hope you do too.

Fun Fun Fun by Harvey Kurtzman.  What a gal!

When I Grow Up by Ralph Reese featuring a rascally L'il Dennis cutting to the chase

15 Big Ones by Overton Lloyd

Busy Doin' Nothin' by Edward Gorey

Cuddle Up by JoEllen Trilling/photo by Ben Asen. I wonder if the Denny doll is still around?

Surfer Girl by Michael Kanarek.  Errrm, cowabunga?

This one is called Dennis and Mike by Bill Nelson.  You can buy the signed copy pictured here for 300 Gringo clams if you are running out of BB things to blow your bread on - click away.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:16:30 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »

Surreal 1970s stuff! Thanks for posting!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »

Nice job Alan!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »

Thanks for posting but which one is "gal" (Fun Fun Fun pic)? I only see the guys protruding their big bums. Not that I care, just wonder where you see the girl.
NB: Is there a picture for "At My Window"?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 10:00:23 PM »

Thanks for posting but which one is "gal" (Fun Fun Fun pic)? I only see the guys protruding their big bums. Not that I care, just wonder where you see the girl.
NB: Is there a picture for "At My Window"?

The gal is at the wheel of the T-Bird driving off into the horizon, having dispatched those big-bummed beach bums and bent their long boards.

If you look closely, she's looking over her shoulder with a smile on her sunglassed dial (face), her blonde locks aspray in the jet stream of her hot red automobile.

Did you click on the thumb nail? It will open a bigger version where you can see more detail.

There is no picture for "At My Window" in this book.  From Sunflower, This Whole World and Cool Cool are featured. There's a nifty pic for I Went To Sleep.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »

Did you click on the thumb nail?
Yes, of course. Now with your detailed description I see her. Thanks.

There is no picture for "At My Window" in this book.  From Sunflower, This Whole World and Cool Cool are featured. There's a nifty pic for I Went To Sleep.
Ok. future updates of the OP, I hope? personal favorites, at least.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 10:31:24 PM »

I'll see what I can do  Grin

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:36:32 AM »

Beach Boy's Party! a la '60s album style by Sean Earley
Pretty cool telling of the behind the curtain "process".  I dig the participants list at the bottom, just missing Steve Love as per the recent discussion on the uncovered/unplugged thread.

Vegetables - Joey Epstein/Tom Hachtman.  Photograph by Ben Asen.

Laugh, I almost kicked the ball, but my tenny flew right off!  This is kicking around on the interwebs, so perhaps familiar.

I Went To Sleep by Walter Simonson (after Gorey).

This Whole World by Dennis Pohl.  The print job on my copy has a very slight blur - it would be interesting to see a big print given the myriad components.

Cool, Cool, Water by Bobby London.
This is split across 2 pages hence a bit of confusion/overlap down the middle.  A busy and intricate piece with every little drop being individual in some slight way.

If someone can tell me who or what the perplexed duck dressed in traditional chinese garb behind the right hand palm tree is about, let me know.

That Same Song by Overton Lloyd.

Winds Of Change by Wayne McLouglan.
Far out!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:40:12 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:41:30 AM »

You da man, Alan! Some truly amazing illustrations there...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:26 PM »

Here's a sequence of artwork presented in comic book fashion or spreading the imagery over several frames.

409 by William Stout.  A tale of denial, obsession, depression, then finally victory and an out of this world conclusion. Real fine.

Heroes and Villians by Dan Green.
A relatively literal narrative based on the H&V lyrics, although the opening scene features a city in the clouds, shades of Columnated Ruins Domino from that other song, p'haps. If you look closely to the middle picture on the right hand side of the left page, you can see Catillion not dodging the bullets.

The book reveals a better colour palette and the texture of the canvass, which may not come in across in these snaps.

Pet Sounds by James McMullan (pics 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12) and Ralph Reese (the other ones including the train!)
An interesting sequencing of a few PS songs that chart the rise and fall of a relationship, with the fall seemingly due to the emotional issues of the guy.  Poor girl, gets her heart broken at the start, finds new love, but finally leaves after what may have been a foot massage gone wrong.

Anyway, there's a picture of the (a) train!  Here's the story behind the sound on the LP, from the much missed Mikie, & Stephen Desper for those who may have missed it - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14765.msg337820.html#msg337820

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:42:45 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »

Thanks for the kind words! Made my day(s)!

Here is the final batch of pics from the Byron Preiss book from '79 - I hope those here (or yet to arrive) who don't have a copy get a kick out of viewing these poor reproductions and are encouraged to seek out a copy - get in line tho'; while doing this, the spine on my copy decided to split, man - ebay, here we come. (And read the chapter on Smile, it's pretty cool)

All This Is That by Gabriel Csakany
"Two ways and I" - a soothing scene of duality, featuring a contemplative Mike and Carl

Cabinessence  by Wayne McLoughlin
"Have you seen the Grand Coulee, working on the railroad?"  You won't here, instead here are a whole load of Chinese guys working on a dam or something.
(btw, the original pic is pretty dark, I couldn't get a decent shot, sorry)

Darlin' by John Collier
A very painterly piece, lovely palette showing lots of technique - beautiful.

Don't Worry Baby by Ralph Reese
Ralph also provided When I grow up. Perhaps the WIGU pic was the what happened after the DWB pic.

Help Me Rhonda by Alex Jay
Oh, those girls!

In My Room by Christof Blumrich.
This piece reminds me of Terry Melcher's comment in the Tom Nolan RS article about people outside of LA relating to the message of the BBs. (I know he was talking about blokes in Soho bleaching their hair, but I like the notion)

Little Deuce Coupe by Mac Evans - The Workshop
Light, tight, bright depiction of our lads smack in the middle of their own Surf'n'Car So.Cal myths. Fun stuff.

Long Promised Road by Steve Hofheimer
Love this one - I have seen a better scan kicking around out there.  I think Steve did a great job of capturing the whimsical cosmic imagery of JR's verse lyrics balanced against the positive defiance and uplifting energy of the chorus lyrics and guitar solo respectively.

Surfin' by Arnie Sawyer, original design by Michael Pilla
A lovely recreation of one of the shots from the back cover of Surfin' Safari (featuring Dave!).  Perhaps the images of Brian playing piano in the sand juxtaposed against the Surfer mastering the break represents Brian's growth as a composer.

Sail on Sailor by Howard Chaykin
A great image, reminds me a little of the Marvel comics style (eg Silver Surfer, Jack Kirby stuff) back in the day.

Surf's Up by Kenneth Smith, with close-ups from the Oppenheim footage of Brian evoking his muse.
Cosmic!

Wind Chimes by Michael Skaret - The Workshop
Tranquil...

That's it - no more  Wink

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 03:16:45 PM »

The 1970s are over. Embarrassed

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 03:29:04 PM »

The 1970s are over. Embarrassed
Never say never - they remain with us always, imprinted on the Key Parties of our collective consciousness.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

Yes! Grin

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »

Finally, here is the very groovey colour code music chart for Good Vibrations (for those who haven't seen it before) by John Pound.  Amazing!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »

The James McMullan PS pictures are very beautiful. I agree the GV is great. Is it sun looking like clown in CCW?

Thanks a much for posting & I dug the commentary.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:50 PM »

Pleasure!

Yeah, it is the sun in the background looking like a clown - sorta looks like an angry bee to me.

Make sure you check out Malc's thread and download the PDF's of his comprehensive discussions of the band's original Album's cover art (content from his former website)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:27 PM »

Make sure you check out Malc's thread and download the PDF's of his comprehensive discussions of the band's original Album's cover art (content from his former website)
Thanks for the heads-up - I sure will! 3D

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:19 PM »

I hate to go against the grain, but I never did like the illustrations in the Preiss book... Given that it was the group's "authorized biography" I would have preferred to see a selection of rare, unpublished color photos in that space.  Some of the illustrations are interesting, but some (e.g. "Darlin'") have no association whatsoever to the song they are supposed to represent.  You could have titled that painting "Wendy," or "Anna Lee, the Healer," or "Marcella."

It's reminds me of a song that a group submitted for consideration for one of our ESQ tribute CDs -- I think it was the first Dennis one.  It wasn't a cover version of a Dennis song; it wasn't a song done in the style of Dennis; it was just a techno-pop song that a group wanted to get on the CD for publicity's sake.  When asked how it related to Dennis in order to justify its place on a tribute album to him, the group said, "Well, we think Dennis would have liked it."

Lee
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:17:35 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx