gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:20:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If the Beach Boys were dogs...  (Read 8815 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 04:36:23 AM »

So the Baha Men's 'Who Let the Dogs Out' was really a song about The Beach Boys?  Who knew?  Otherwise...we're really scrapin' for stuff to talk about here.

How 'bout those Broncos?  Nicer weather this weekend?  Howz yer better half?  Ready ANY good books lately?  [not at THIS site....but I haven't commented as I don't want to spoil it for the baker's dozen, or so, who give a rat's ass]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 04:50:08 AM »

So the Baha Men's 'Who Let the Dogs Out' was really a song about The Beach Boys?  Who knew?  Otherwise...we're really scrapin' for stuff to talk about here.

How 'bout those Broncos?  Nicer weather this weekend?  Howz yer better half?  Ready ANY good books lately?  [not at THIS site....but I haven't commented as I don't want to spoil it for the baker's dozen, or so, who give a rat's ass]

...b...b...but - I think I am on a roll, sir... was just planning to add: 'Heads You Win, Tails I Lose' by the Chihuahua Combo... I think that amounts to literature...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 05:36:07 AM »

You're the star of this show.  I was just thinkin' that Uncle Jesse might have been reachin' way down for this topic.  What next?  Which fire hydrant do you think they prefer? LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 06:18:57 AM »

Amazing. I will now forever think of Al Jardine as a duck.
Brian going fishing for ideas while the others are on tour in the tall grasses and flora.
What if the four ducks in the sky were The Beatles

Trying and failing to find online that illustration from Millward's book  which depicts the Boys as animals wading through long grass… Broan's a bear, Al's a duck, Bruce might be a raccoon … I think.

Anyone able to provide a link here?

County Air by George Chastain, from the Byron Preiss.  Reproduced utilising M7 & ISP technology processes under 3400K source lighting.

What if the four ducks on the sky were Donald, Huey, Dewey & Louie ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 06:26:33 AM »

^^or Roger Christian, Van Dyke, Tony Asher & Jack Rieley...or not  Cool
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:28:36 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »

Amazing. I will now forever think of Al Jardine as a duck.
Brian going fishing for ideas while the others are on tour in the tall grasses and flora.

What if the four ducks on the sky were Donald, Huey, Dewey & Louie ?

The Byrds, perhaps? At least they were "hip" enough to play Monterey (to say nothing of being "Eight Miles High").   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »

You're the star of this show.  I was just thinkin' that Uncle Jesse might have been reachin' way down for this topic.  What next?  Which fire hydrant do you think they prefer? LOL

Cheesy

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 08:18:53 AM »

Years ago, I contacted the artist of that painting, George Chastain, and he was very nice in replying.  He remembered the painting, which he had been commissioned to do for the book (along with a bunch of other artists), "The Beach Boys" that came out in the late '70's.   He had since sold the painting, which he stated he regretted, and that initially it was one of the band themselves who wished to purchase it, he recalled it being either Carl or maybe Bruce.     Ultimately it was sold to someone else.   I cannot find this email exchange I had with him on my computer, but it was within the last 5 to 7 years.  He is still with us, I believe and may be open to contact and questions. 
A quick search brought the following links: 
http://www.askart.com/artist/George_Chastain/121920/George_Chastain.aspx

https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-chastain-b2397a3

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/portfolio/paintings/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 08:43:19 AM »

There were some magnificent illustrations printed in that book.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »

deja vu

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21290.0.html
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 12:20:52 PM »

County Air by George Chastain, from the Byron Preiss.  Reproduced utilising M7 & ISP technology processes under 3400K source lighting.

Thanks for posting the illustration, Alan. May I ask, What is M7 & ISP technology processes under 3400K source lighting?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »

County Air by George Chastain, from the Byron Preiss.  Reproduced utilising M7 & ISP technology processes under 3400K source lighting.

Thanks for posting the illustration, Alan. May I ask, What is M7 & ISP technology processes under 3400K source lighting?

That's when you put the book on your living room table and take a photo with your iPhone  Grin

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »

Just looking through the Byron Preiss book that has that 'Country Air' cartoon. As AGD said, some great artwork, some of which could be a discussion in themselves. Any chance you could do some more Alan?

ie 'When I Grow Up To Be A Man' drawing by a Ralph Reese. Dennis going for a woman's chest, Al with a gun. Also 'Fun,Fun,Fun' by a Harvey Kurtzman. A blonde driving off with 5 obviously, shall we say 'satisfied' naked guys beside 5 limp surfboards. Brilliant!

I did find a couple from the book....

'Long Promised Road' and 'All This Is That'.

http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2015/3/3/2/c/6/2c6ba482-c1d5-11e4-8125-0e1a37150d2f.jpg
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

Just looking through the Byron Preiss book that has that 'Country Air' cartoon. As AGD said, some great artwork, some of which could be a discussion in themselves. Any chance you could do some more Alan?

ie 'When I Grow Up To Be A Man' drawing by a Ralph Reese. Dennis going for a woman's chest, Al with a gun. Also 'Fun,Fun,Fun' by a Harvey Kurtzman. A blonde driving off with 5 obviously, shall we say 'satisfied' naked guys beside 5 limp surfboards. Brilliant!

I did find a couple from the book....

'Long Promised Road' and 'All This Is That'.

http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2015/3/3/2/c/6/2c6ba482-c1d5-11e4-8125-0e1a37150d2f.jpg

I will if I get time, and if you can tell me what the hell the picture on page 129 is supposed to be about.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »

In my 79 version thats Dennis with the picture of Mike behind him?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »

In my 79 version thats Dennis with the picture of Mike behind him?
Yep! Smiley  I'm not sure why a contemplative Denny would be musing in front of a painting of Mike on the beach getting a massage from a gaggle of tiny beach babes.  Unless it's a "reimagining" of some other famous image (ie, looks like a different picture with Denny's head pasted in later).

And how about the ludicrous Surfer Girl air-brush pic - that would go well on a Panel Van down Frankston way.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

Funny thing is I seem to recall a picture of Mike in just that setting. His pool, but don't remember where.

One that does not need an explanation is '15 Big Ones'. The group singing on a street corner.

If you do get the time, some of those shots would be appreciated by those here who have not seen them I'm sure.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »

Funny thing is I seem to recall a picture of Mike in just that setting. His pool, but don't remember where.

One that does not need an explanation is '15 Big Ones'. The group singing on a street corner.

If you do get the time, some of those shots would be appreciated by those here who have not seen them I'm sure.

For those who may be interested:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23341.msg558148/topicseen.html#msg558148

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »

Dang it!  I thought I was being original

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »

My 1990 CD copy of has the "15 BO" illustration for the front cover (because I put it there, before anyone has a small fit  Smiley ) and man, it's the dogs bollocks.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 12:35:33 AM »

I don't know anything about dogs, but if the Beach Boys were Smurfs, their names would be Crazy, Baldy, Pudgy, Shorty, and Hefty. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 02:14:56 PM »

Could be!

http://www.thebeatleshop.co.uk/bmz_cache/c/ce33a436d7dbfdc566ceefead13057cb.image.394x300.jpg
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx