gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:15:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albums You Tried Really Hard to Like  (Read 11942 times)
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »

"In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel is a hallowed album I struggle with.

King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. One - as brief as it, is on my all time top X.  Additionally, Two Headed Boy is pretty amazing stuff.  The rest tho', is a challenge.

This shakes me, cold. I'm one of those who believes this the modern classic it deserves to be. The over-all tone of the album, including the brilliant songs you listed, have an old-worldly, almost other-worldly, primordial, feel to them. Appalachian folksong meets neo-classical, post-modern alienation and boredom. Supposedly, as well as seemingly, thought up in a dream-state a la spiritual possession via an, albeit unconfirmed, survivor of the Holocaust. Haunting, yet simultaneously joyful and life-affirming. 'Tis a good listen, indeed.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »

Kiss / Hot In The Shade. Still hate it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 04:07:30 AM »

Pink Floyd, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. As I kid, I was mostly aware of Pink Floyd from The Wall, which was recent enough in my formative musical years that my nine-years-older sister liked it contemporaneously, I saw the movie and heard the album, etc. I liked that (and still kind-of do). I got older and learned Dark Side. I was there for the late '80 MTV-era stuff. Eventually I wanted to dig into the catalogue, and did so with Piper, among others.

I was not impressed.

Later I got into the mythology around "the crazy genius" type, regardless of genre. Thelonious Monk, Captain Beefheart, Brian Wilson, whatever. It's a powerful myth that I think still drives a kind of listener. So I heard about Barrett and revisited Piper (and checked out The Madcap Laughs). Still nothing.

Every few years--including right now, as I'm typing--I check it out again. After all, opinions change. If I were a political candidate, my opponents would call me a flip-flopper and debate moderators would confront me with my earlier self to shame me. But I'm shameless, damnit. However, I still just don't like Piper Or Syd Barrett in general. Or, frankly, Pink Floyd, for the most part.

I'm sure a lot depends on when you jump into a band's career. I was aware of Pink Floyd from late 1966 onwards, and the Barrett era means a lot to me. The period immediately following Syd's departure has a sadness to it that later listeners most probably miss. (This same sadness returns on Wish You Were Here.)

These days I'm battling my aversion to Roger Waters and discovering the brilliance of many of the later tracks. That said, The Wall for me is just that----a wall. Cool Guy   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »

Tubular Bells. Had three copies over the years and have given it many a try, but apart from the Exorcist bit, it does nothing for me.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:02 AM »

I don't rmbr trying to like album. Trends, universal positive reviews don't influence to re-listen to album to like it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »

Just a Poke, recorded in Germany by the New York band Sweet Smoke, is high on my friend's list of "Keepers" (here) but it's the first in that list that I can't warm to. Perhaps it's because I already have another favourite one-track-a-side LP recorded on German soil, the stunning In Den Gärten Pharaos by Popol Vuh.

I tried, I really did. It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_k4GKhslK4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 04:27:42 AM »

I must've listened to Van Halen's debut about 10-15 times. Still think only 2 songs are really great.

Also, AC/DC's Back in Black and Highway to Hell, Joni Mitchell's Blue, Beck's Sea Change, Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks (except for 3-4 songs that I think really are masterpieces), Yes' Fragile (I acknowledge the talent, just not my thing) and all Smiths albums.

Damn, I love Van Halen now. And Blue, Blood on the Tracks, and Fragile. Sea Change is all right.

I saw Trout Mask Replica mentioned in this topic, and I gotta say I loved that album right from the first listen. I think it's beautiful in its craziness, it always makes me smile. And has helped me through dark times.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 04:51:30 AM »

I frankly, being different language speaker perhaps, don't get the phrase "dark times". People use it frequently everywhere, it puzzles what precisely they mean by it. Anyhoo, smb. (bubbly waves?) in this board asked me few yrs back to listen & review Trout Mask Replica. Didn't get to it yet. Curious to hear it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 06:22:49 AM »

I frankly, being different language speaker perhaps, don't get the phrase "dark times". People use it frequently everywhere, it puzzles what precisely they mean by it.

A period when things are not going so good.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »

Quadrophenia - The Who

I bought it long ago because I loved Tommy, but I just could not get engrossed in Quad's story. I remember thinking, that's it? Gosh, I feel guilty even now admitting it!

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx