gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:55:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Kantner dead at 74  (Read 1923 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »

This month's been absolutely horrid for music deaths. We lost Robert Stigwood, David Bowie, Giorgio Gomelsky and Glenn Frey, among many others. That's not even counting the deaths at the very end of last month/year (Stevie Wright, Lemmy and Natalie Cole). And today, we must farewell another legend.

Paul Kantner, who was not only a founding member of Jefferson Airplane, but the only member of every line-up of both Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship (but not Starship) has sadly died earlier today from multiple organ failure and septic shock as a result of a heart attack earlier this week. He was an integral member of the Airplane, being its rhythm guitarist and a primary songwriter, and the bandleader of Jefferson Starship. His solo album "Blows Against The Empire" was also significant in that it was a pioneering sci-fi concept album.

Let's just hope that there's no more major deaths for a while......

May he rest in peace

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jefferson-airplane-guitarist-paul-kantner-dead-at-74-20160128
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »

Shocked I Seen that! A lot of famous people have passed away already in 2016 and one month isn't even through!  Hope its a healthy year for all the Beach BOys!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:38:37 PM »

This just sucks. He was the glue in the harmony sound of the Airplane and J Starship. Co-wrote Wooden Ships.

RIP Paul! You're up in the stars tonight.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »

He was really creative and a one of a kind guy. Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship was HIS band. I was really huge into them at one time, always appreciated his efforts to be original with their work. A tragic loss.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:21:10 AM »

And the winter's toll continues to rise. Rest in peace, sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:07:05 PM »

right up there with the Beach Boys in my fandom..........huge JA fan for many years.   sobering indeed that so many of my peers and idols are going so suddenly.......I knew this period would come but yet I am,  oddly ,still shocked and surprised.
My BFF of  many decades recently diagnosed with cancer.     suddenly feeling very mortal............and old.     time is an odd thing when it comes around so suddenly
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 03:18:09 AM »

right up there with the Beach Boys in my fandom..........huge JA fan for many years.   sobering indeed that so many of my peers and idols are going so suddenly.......I knew this period would come but yet I am,  oddly ,still shocked and surprised.
My BFF of  many decades recently diagnosed with cancer.     suddenly feeling very mortal............and old.     time is an odd thing when it comes around so suddenly

So sorry to hear about your good friend, Donald. I agree----it's very confrontational this winter...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 04:34:29 PM »

Not as Earth shattering, but original singer for the band Signe Toly Anderson also died on the 28. Everything's going crazy!

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »

Not as Earth shattering, but original singer for the band Signe Toly Anderson also died on the 28. Everything's going crazy!

I know, right!

Just made a separate thread for Signe.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

Every now and then I need a dose of the Airplane.  They were messy and all over the place, but when they hit it they soared.  Similar in that way to another aeronautically named band for me -- the Byrds.

There's a video of young  San Francisco kids dancing to "It's No Secret" that captures something very innocent and fleeting from that era.  Before it got nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_KnscgBZc

Anyway, thank you Paul Kantner for a 747-load of greta music.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx