gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:12:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best One-Album Bands  (Read 11445 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »

Derek and the Dominos
Modern Lovers
Monks
United States of America
Sex Pistols
Lauryn Hill
The La's
Germs
Jeff Buckley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:33:45 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:12:45 AM »

Modern Lovers

United States of America

I'll second United States....
and add The Ronettes!

Thor original Modern Lovers could be considered a no-album band as "The Modern Lovers" is just a compilation of demos.

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:19:50 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:04 AM »

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »

and add The Ronettes!

Yes! Great album.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »

FANTASTIC BAGGYS (the original US release). Can't count those two South African bodge-jobs....

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »

This
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 05:32:21 PM »

- Dennis Wilson
- Mike Love
- Mike & Dean
- Mike Love, Dean Torrence & David Marks
- Spring
- Carnie & Wendy Wilson
- The Wilsons
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:36:50 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 11:36:40 PM »

Beckley-Lamm-Wilson
KDS
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

Coverdale / Page - Early 90s gem. 

Honorable mention - I know they released a second album, but The Traveling Wilburys should have been a one album band.  The first album is magic.  The second album just kinda sounds like they're going through the motions after losing Orbison. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »

I thought about that for the first time in years recently, as I was thinking about Whitesnake (in reference to our hard rock thread). I really enjoyed that album at the time: I enjoyed it more than critics did at the time, that's for sure.

I also recall a funny quote about their working with Steve Albini in the recording of the album. Basically, Albini was going his typical direction, which is just to capture the real sound as-is, avoiding outboard gear and processing when he could. Apparently this didn't sit well with Plant especially, who, talking about reverb and delay or something, said something like "don't you understand that these knobs were meant to be turned to the right?"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 05:19:17 AM »

I thought about that for the first time in years recently, as I was thinking about Whitesnake (in reference to our hard rock thread). I really enjoyed that album at the time: I enjoyed it more than critics did at the time, that's for sure.

I also recall a funny quote about their working with Steve Albini in the recording of the album. Basically, Albini was going his typical direction, which is just to capture the real sound as-is, avoiding outboard gear and processing when he could. Apparently this didn't sit well with Plant especially, who, talking about reverb and delay or something, said something like "don't you understand that these knobs were meant to be turned to the right?"

I'm a big Whitesnake fan, as well as Coverdale's stuff with Deep Purple. 

You can argue that Purple Mk IV was a one album band.  Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Tommy Bolin, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes. 

One album - Come Taste the Band - a really good album.  Then the band fell apart.  Until the Mk II reunion in 1984. 
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 01:12:36 AM »

The Millennium - Begin

Watson, did you hear this?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 05:35:38 AM »

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »

I bought the allbum at the time, to my great disappointment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:44:38 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »

Robert Plant was on the Clovedale-Page album? Wow, did  not know that.  Grin

I bought the allbum at the time, to my gresst disappointment.

Haha, whoops. That would be an anecdote from the Plant/Page album, a couple years later.

Now my veneer of brilliance, of perfection, has been lost! (At least I caught on once you pointed it out, ORR. I once, several years back, kept arguing for several posts about how it was just plain idiotic to try to omit Led Zeppelin from a list of the best American rock bands. I honestly was baffled how nobody would see my point. And people kept responding "American rock band?" and such. "Yes, they're easily in the top five!" (or whatever I said).

Then ... ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah... What can I say, I have my moments.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:26:46 PM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »

Robert Plant was on the Clovedale-Page album? Wow, did  not know that.  Grin

I bought the allbum at the time, to my gresst disappointment.

Haha, whoops. That would be an anecdote from the Plant/Page album, a couple years later.

Now my veneer of brilliance, of perfection, has been lost! (At least I caught on once you pointed it out, ORR. I once, several years back, kept arguing for several posts about how it was just plain idiotic to try to omit Led Zeppelin from a list of the best American rock bands. I honestly was baffled how nobody would see my point. And people kept responding "American rock band?" and such. "Yes, they're easily in the top five!" (or whatever I said).

Then ... ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah... What can I say, I have my moments.  Grin

I knew you meant Page-Plant Luther. Just yankin your chain.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »

Oh I know. And I was piling on the chain pulling. So I pulled my own chain. That's weird. Why do I have a chain, and why am I pulling it? What kind of Pavlovian S&M vibe do I have going on here?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 03:48:41 PM »

Well you are a Demon-Fighting Genius (and Patronizing Twaddler) Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »

That I am! Though I don't recall why I'm a demon-fighting genius anymore. (The patronizing twaddler part, I do.)

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 05:07:05 PM »

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 07:35:23 PM »

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »

+1

There's just something about this album.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx